PDA

View Full Version : Remap For 2.0 Non-Turbo

JustARandomDude
Friday 2nd September 2011, 23:43
Hey,

This is a weird one. For some strange reason, every company I've come across offer remaps for the 1.6, 1.8, 2.0T and the T4 yet not one company offers a remap for the 2.0 non-turbo. (pre-facelift 1997 140BHP, and post-lift 136bhp.)

Shockingly enough, remap figures for the 1.6 are 109bhp > 137bhp, so I would have thought a sweet 20-30BHP should be extractable from the 2.0 non-turbo. (teamed with a K&N filter) but nothing... zip.

Any ideas?

(NOTE: this is a project car. And I plan to restore it for which I am, bit by bit. I know I can simply buy a T4 engine, or even a 2.0T and do a swap but that is not my intention. Always a first for everything, I'm suprised nobody's ever bothered with this specific engine.)

T5frankie
Friday 2nd September 2011, 23:50
non turbo remaps are a waste of money, you will see no difference mate

JustARandomDude
Friday 2nd September 2011, 23:55
Hmm, seems I've spotted a mistake with most of these (copy and paste) remap companies I've been looking at. The quoted figures for the 1.6 going to 137bhp where for the 2005+ 1.6 diesel.

I knew something was up. :) But still, would love to hear some success stories with the non-turbo 2.0.

Thanks!

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 00:00
Best bet for more power with a none turbo is the old stuff...I.e... Air filter, Exhaust camshafts,ported head, etc etc....Then maybe getting it custom mapped to get the best out of those mods, a simple remap will do little good as there's nothing to change apart from things like the rev limiter and timing etc..

t5_monkey
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 08:23
K&N air filter may help ... don't bother with a remap.

Personally concentrate on the suspension and enjoy that.... as an engine swap will always give massive results compared to whatever you do to it power wise.

e.g....

- strut brace
- braided brake lines
- bilstein dampers
- stiffer ARBs
- Polybushing
- lightweight wheels

etc... !