PDA

View Full Version : boost leak help please!!

Mental Wealth Doctor
Friday 2nd September 2011, 15:04
if the idle control valve is knackerd, {sticking open}, would that cause a lack of boost? and a leaking sound? idle is all over the place and serious boost leak, its doing my nut in, just finally fitted a refurbed 16t turbo, an its just blow and no go. does the forge blanking plate have a o ring seal? any one got any ideas....
Cheers in advance

merc85
Friday 2nd September 2011, 18:37
if the idle control valve is knackerd, {sticking open}, would that cause a lack of boost? and a leaking sound? idle is all over the place and serious boost leak, its doing my nut in, just finally fitted a refurbed 16t turbo, an its just blow and no go. does the forge blanking plate have a o ring seal? any one got any ideas....
Cheers in advance

Always go back to the last thing you did, Was the car doing this before change of turbo?

merc85
Friday 2nd September 2011, 18:38
Pritty sure there isn't any o ring, Did you make sure the Blanking plate surface was clean before you fitted it?

Spray carb cleaner around the vac lines etc if there's a leak the engine will run up on the vapour's.

Also check the Vac elbow joint near the stat housing, where it goes into the intake manifold as this can give agro.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Friday 2nd September 2011, 18:48
yer was very similar before turbo change, its just got louder sounding leak now, idle control valve is not shutting properly though. wondering could that cause the issue. yer blanking plate and surface were clean, checked the annoying little hose thats from inlet manifold on left. tryed different dv still same.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd September 2011, 19:20
Could be the blanking plate isn't sealing properly, I've had a few problems with the normal valve that fits there sealing.

Have you tried pressurising the system with a compressor to find the leaks?

Will have to get together and see if we can fix it.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Friday 2nd September 2011, 19:44
yer pressure test is on the cards, might have to take it to garage though, {no compressor}
can i defo rule out the idle control valve would not cause a boost problem??

Mental Wealth Doctor
Friday 2nd September 2011, 19:48
its so annoying i can hear all the power being lost from about 2.5k onwards. will get hands dirty again tomo, yer come and save the day Dave,

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd September 2011, 19:54
yer pressure test is on the cards, might have to take it to garage though, {no compressor}
can i defo rule out the idle control valve would not cause a boost problem??
The idle control only bypasses the throttle flap, so really there shouldn't be a problem because its all under pressure.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd September 2011, 19:55
I've got a compressor I can bring over to test it with.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Friday 2nd September 2011, 19:59
that would be awesome, you far from hereford?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 2nd September 2011, 19:59
PM'd