PDA

View Full Version : Is it worthit?

M-R-P
Thursday 1st September 2011, 15:32
Tell me there's a light at the end of the tunnel...
I am currently looking at a bill for £735 for a new DIM on the Big Sweed :sheep:. I have been resoldering the thing for over a year and I and the DIM can't take it any more. I've tried loads of second hand DIMs from various scrappies and even one with the exact codes didn't work. The car is worth £2000 tops, 180450 miles on it, it's gonna need new bushes on the front and there's a dodgy rattle noise when I open and close the waste gate. the bodywork is shabby, no rust but evidence of plod using it as a battering ram and no 2 panels are the same shade of dirty white.

Other than the above, she's sweet as a nut.

My question to you, my fellow enthusiasts, is it worth forking out half the value of the car for a speedo or shal I just break the dam thing?
:pants:

p fandango
Thursday 1st September 2011, 15:47
a tough call, you could get another explod for not much more than your repair bill, but who says the DIM etc is going to be any better on that. personally if your happy with the car & know exactly whats up i'd get it fixed

M-R-P
Thursday 1st September 2011, 16:14
a tough call, you could get another explod for not much more than your repair bill, but who says the DIM etc is going to be any better on that. personally if your happy with the car & know exactly whats up i'd get it fixed

The DIM was fixed on all volvos after 2004/5 from what I've found. there are some lurrvely sweeds out there but I can barely afford 700 quid (actually I can't) so I deffo can't afford another one! eerrgh, don't need this! Such an absolutely brilliant car ruined by a poxy processor badly soldered! shame on volvo!
Sorry to rant but I don't want to end up with a money pit! I wanna fix it but if I do the DIM and the turbo decides to eat the waste gate paddle, I don't have room to break it so I'm gonna drop it at the nearest scrappy and take my 117quid weigh-in value!

p fandango
Thursday 1st September 2011, 16:22
The DIM was fixed on all volvos after 2004/5 from what I've found. there are some lurrvely sweeds out there but I can barely afford 700 quid (actually I can't) so I deffo can't afford another one! eerrgh, don't need this! Such an absolutely brilliant car ruined by a poxy processor badly soldered! shame on volvo!
Sorry to rant but I don't want to end up with a money pit! I wanna fix it but if I do the DIM and the turbo decides to eat the waste gate paddle, I don't have room to break it so I'm gonna drop it at the nearest scrappy and take my 117quid weigh-in value!
rant away, i know the feeling. The only thing is most of my problems with BT are self inflicted because i messed something up lol. As for the DIM's both mine & my old mans went in the same week, which as you say would of been £700 each going to Volvo's pocket. Luckily my bro works with circuit boards so resoldered both our boards & so far so good (although i have lost my clock & outside temp which isn't a great loss)

your turbo could go, or it could be fine. But if you broke it & forked out for a new car you could still have issues to deal with

M-R-P
Thursday 1st September 2011, 16:31
rant away, i know the feeling. The only thing is most of my problems with BT are self inflicted because i messed something up lol. As for the DIM's both mine & my old mans went in the same week, which as you say would of been £700 each going to Volvo's pocket. Luckily my bro works with circuit boards so resoldered both our boards & so far so good (although i have lost my clock & outside temp which isn't a great loss)

your turbo could go, or it could be fine. But if you broke it & forked out for a new car you could still have issues to deal with

I can't help thinking that if I had taken my time the first time I resoldered it, I wouldn't be in this situation now. It's been resoldered so many times now, the solder is shot/gone. no spark or tech will even touch it because I've had a go.
hurrumph!
PS The clock/temp run from the legs on the right hand side of the motorolla chip, top half. Run an iron over them and that'll probably fix it! ;)

The Flying Moose
Thursday 1st September 2011, 17:38
I definately wouldnt scrap it! The car is worth a small fortune in parts... I know you say you havnt the space but even so you would be litterally throwing a grands worth of parts away.

As for repairing the car however, if the clocks cannot be repaired again and it will mean incurring the £700 bill if I were in your shoes I would probably be getting rid given the cars value, I can therefore understand why your considering it.

M-R-P
Thursday 1st September 2011, 17:48
I definately wouldnt scrap it! The car is worth a small fortune in parts... I know you say you havnt the space but even so you would be litterally throwing a grands worth of parts away.

As for repairing the car however, if the clocks cannot be repaired again and it will mean incurring the £700 bill if I were in your shoes I would probably be getting rid given the cars value, I can therefore understand why your considering it.

The thought of bodging it one last time and palming it off to a dealer (I wouldn't shaft an individual but a dealer's ok) has crossed my mind but I don't want to be without a T-5. Me and the missus were given (yes given) the car cos we couldn't afford to buy one and a part-ex would still be out of the question. I have to admit, I love these things, everything about them suits me all over and it's bloody practical for carting my son and all his cr@p about so I really tempted to pay-up and get her right again. But I can't be doing with pouring every penny I have into it.

I'm not looking to be talked into or out of fixing it, just your valued opinions guys, for that I am grateful. :)

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 1st September 2011, 18:13
The problem is that you have a car that, like ours has either been used and abused or had a lot of use. Christine has cost us more than she is worth over the years we have had her. But like you we don't want to get rid of her, better a devil you know etc.

If you can afford to spend £700 to get a new DIM and you know that the new one is going to last for a long time, then it has to be worth it. After all you are enjoying the drive, you love the speed, you can carry loads of stuff, you enjoy the comfort, they are great in the snow, I know after driving back from Huddersfield over the M62 in a blizzard last December, mind you The Flying Moose may not agree with me on that :)

Yes they do have their problems, but how much would you have to spend to get a car that has the same spec as your V70, right now they are a lot cheaper, but again you do have to wonder what's wrong with the cheap ones.

Christine has a leaky rad that I need to get fixed before the onset of winter, yet more expense but at least I know what needs doing. That reminds me she needs a near side front tyre.

M-R-P
Thursday 1st September 2011, 19:38
The problem is that you have a car that, like ours has either been used and abused or had a lot of use. Christine has cost us more than she is worth over the years we have had her. But like you we don't want to get rid of her, better a devil you know etc.

If you can afford to spend £700 to get a new DIM and you know that the new one is going to last for a long time, then it has to be worth it. After all you are enjoying the drive, you love the speed, you can carry loads of stuff, you enjoy the comfort, they are great in the snow, I know after driving back from Huddersfield over the M62 in a blizzard last December, mind you The Flying Moose may not agree with me on that :)

Yes they do have their problems, but how much would you have to spend to get a car that has the same spec as your V70, right now they are a lot cheaper, but again you do have to wonder what's wrong with the cheap ones.

Christine has a leaky rad that I need to get fixed before the onset of winter, yet more expense but at least I know what needs doing. That reminds me she needs a near side front tyre.

Love how you call her "Christine" says it all when you spend all your time and money fixing one thing only to have something else f#*k up! ;)

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 1st September 2011, 20:03
Love how you call her "Christine" says it all when you spend all your time and money fixing one thing only to have something else f#*k up! ;)
We named her after Steven King's car :)

p fandango
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:03
The clock/temp run from the legs on the right hand side of the motorolla chip, top half. Run an iron over them and that'll probably fix it! ;)
he did mine first & one of the tiny chips fell off the board, think he put it back upside down as there were no markings on it so just guess work lol

M-R-P
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:10
he did mine first & one of the tiny chips fell off the board, think he put it back upside down as there were no markings on it so just guess work lol

pmsl!

M-R-P
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:12
We named her after Steven King's car :)

I know, that's what I meant :)

'57 Plymouth Fury. Excellent film!

On of my wife's fav films is The Money Pit!
:thewave:

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:15
:rotfl::rotfl:

p fandango
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:22
pmsl!
just check your phone very well if you send it back for repair lol

M-R-P
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 17:00
Just an update,
Me an mrs MRP have decided to save up and get the DIM sorted. I recon that I can deal with any other problems myself and I'm not about to give up on her yet. ;)

Big Sweed forever! :thewave:

JelT5
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 18:05
Well done mate; I'd been considering scrapping and selling parts on mine when the engine went bang yesterday, but decided that I like the car too much to do that :)

M-R-P
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 21:52
Well done mate; I'd been considering scrapping and selling parts on mine when the engine went bang yesterday, but decided that I like the car too much to do that :)

It's weird, when I passed my test 3 years ago (started late) I went straight into a 2 week old nissan note with all the trimmings and gizmos, 60mpg and that new car smell. When we got rid of it, I wasn't in the least bit bothered but the idea of not having the sweed doesn't really appeal! ;)

andyb1375
Sunday 4th September 2011, 13:53
Dont know if this will help, but I have had several units repaired by a company in Great Yarmouth. the company is called Clusters Uk. The last two Audis that i have done were £180 each

M-R-P
Sunday 4th September 2011, 13:59
Dont know if this will help, but I have had several units repaired by a company in Great Yarmouth. the company is called Clusters Uk. The last two Audis that i have done were £180 each
Thanks Andy but I've already gone down that route. Because I have already had several attempts at it myself, nobody wants to touch it in case my attempts have weakened it.

andyb1375
Sunday 4th September 2011, 15:01
If you give me the part number I may be able to locate one for you.

M-R-P
Monday 5th September 2011, 08:16
Tried that too, Tried several units, I think plod changed the casing so numbers on it are useless. Can't get much sense out of VADIS either, but that could just be the laptop it's on. :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th September 2011, 15:21
Brief update, The Big Sweed is now booked in for tuesday for a new DIM. When I begged the lady to get it fitted on friday (as that's when the unit will be delivered) she explained that there was currently a recall on the T-6 engine and their service center was choc-a-block with police cars! Bugger it, I've gotta big drive this weekend - Dorset to east London to Welling garden city to clacton then home. with a fruit machine speedo and no idea of how much fuel is left in it! Grrrrrrrrrr :(

p fandango
Wednesday 7th September 2011, 16:16
and no idea of how much fuel is left in it! Grrrrrrrrrr :(
my fuel gauge is a mile out anyway, ran out twice with the trip computer still staying over 100mile left in the tank lol

M-R-P
Friday 9th September 2011, 21:58
Update, did the 119 mile trip to east london tonight. after much gaffa tape-ing and prodding, the dash went through 3 stages.
1, go, stop, go, stop - get sooo hot some of the plastic melted round the heatsinc.
2, Fruit machine jackpot mode, see pic. - this went on for 65 miles (I think, I couldn't tell how far, fast I went)
3, Not working at all, to be honest, this was preferable. Apart from not knowing how much fuel I had left.

Roll on tuesday! ggrrrrrrrrrr.
(when they change the dim, I'm gonna ask for the old one back and post pics on this thread of what I do to it ;)
Stay tuned.

M-R-P
Monday 12th September 2011, 00:01
Ok, I'm not gonna rant about the DIM not working all the way home from London tonight because some little B@ST@RD jemmy'd my shed door tonight shortly before we got home.
Luckily, the alarm box is situated right above the shed door and must have ££££ them up enough to scare them off before they got their hands on anything. According to local plod, our neighbor saw a male run off out of the garden, called 999 and plod were here within a few mins.
Nothing was taken but we now need to get a new lock for the door which is currently screwed shut.
So, many thanks to Tasha, next door and Thanks to Dorset Police for showing up so fast.
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
(large angry man, got the huff!)

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 18:36
OOOOOOOOOOKEYDOKEY! new DIM fitted, I'm now £735 worse off but we gotta upgrade!
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/newdash.jpg
Those of you who are familiar with the 2000 to 2004 P2 Dims will notice the chrome rings around the dials and different dial faces. It also has led illumination instead of lamps. The indicator clicker has also changed tone.
Unfortunately, this isn't the end of the thread.
The stealer gave the car a once-over and found the following...
Headlight wiper blade missing (got that sorted)
Brake fluid change urgently required (got that sorted)
n/s inner track rod end worn
o/s outer track rod end worn
Front brake disk worn/lipped (gonna try grinding the lip off)
Front o/s shock misted at top (gonna need to do both after 180000 miles on the same shocks)
So, anybody got any bits they wanna get rid of?

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 21:36
Just seen the new DIM in the dark, How sexxy is that!;)

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/newdash2.jpg

p fandango
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 21:43
looks good but looks like its still got issues 21.6mpg theirs no way that can be low, oh sorry forgot it's not a D5 lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 21:48
looks good but looks like its still got issues 21.6mpg theirs no way that can be low, oh sorry forgot it's not a D5 lol

Ha Ha, very funny Pedro ;) They updated the ecu software while they were at it so, naturally, I had to give it a ragging on the way home. You should have seen the instantaneous reading when I booted second blowing-away an Msport up the sliproad... 2.2mpg! worth every penny!
Engine is much smoother now, gonna have a drive tomorrow and see if it's any more efficient.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:09
Very glad your all sorted mate. That new dim looks excellent. A refreshing upgrade too.

I think your car would be really well finished off now with a boot spoiler and leather interior...with those editions it transforms the ex cop cars and all could be done for less than £200 if your lucky.

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:15
Very glad your all sorted mate. That new dim looks excellent. A refreshing upgrade too.

I think your car would be really well finished off now with a boot spoiler and leather interior...with those editions it transforms the ex cop cars and all could be done for less than £200 if your lucky.

My local scrappy will sell me a full interior, seats, cards, roof lining and steering wheel for £58. I'm just waiting for one in black leather. I'm a bit worried about unplugging the seats and throwing the SRS warning... only just got rid of that pesky orange triangle! ;)
Boot spoiler is only £25 too!

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:18
My local scrappy will sell me a full interior, seats, cards, roof lining and steering wheel for £58. I'm just waiting for one in black leather. I'm a bit worried about unplugging the seats and throwing the SRS warning... only just got rid of that pesky orange triangle! ;)

So long as you disconnect the battery and plug everything in exactly as it was you shouldnt throw a warning light. If you ever need to borrow it I have a code reader that will work on your car.

Out of interest can you see if your local scrappy has any S70 black leather interiors? £58 is an absolute bargain worth travelling for!

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:25
So long as you disconnect the battery and plug everything in exactly as it was you shouldnt throw a warning light. If you ever need to borrow it I have a code reader that will work on your car.

Out of interest can you see if your local scrappy has any S70 black leather interiors? £58 is an absolute bargain worth travelling for!

Aint it just!? If you keep an eye on this link...
http://vehicles.pickapart.uk.com/breaking-vehicles/
If you see anything you like, let me know and I'll grab it for you. :)

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:27
Aint it just!? If you keep an eye on this link...
http://vehicles.pickapart.uk.com/breaking-vehicles/
If you see anything you like, let me know and I'll grab it for you. :)

Cheers mate :)

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:30
Cheers mate :)

No probs, I joined-up for info and help etc. It's only fair that I do the same. :)
Besides, you probably got my favorite looking volvo, so I wanna see it get the best!

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 22:30
Update... Went to change the brake fluid today, which went well but... I went to take the rear o/s wheel off and mangled the locking nut and the key. After much fiddling and swearing, knackered. gotta drill it.
So my list of required parts are now as follows,
Set of locking wheel nuts,
Pair of front shocks,
set of track rods - inner and outer
305mm front disks.
PM or post please ;)

On the up side, Brakes are now superb. What with the ecu update making it smoother to drive and now the brakes, She's a different car now. As if it could be any better. love it!
Oh yes - Pedro - Swanage and back today, including blowing away a Jag on the dual, 31.2 mpg. Not quite D5 territory but I bet BT won't get that sort of economy ;)

M-R-P
Friday 16th September 2011, 00:35
:B_offtopi
Just found out that the little ££££ that broke into my shed the other day lives 2 doors up from me. The info isn't some that could be used in court but is correct. Now I'm left with the dilemma of what to do with my new found knowledge. I know what I'd like to do...
:firedevil

colnotts
Friday 16th September 2011, 00:58
:wink:good things come to those who wait
what goes around

M-R-P
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 18:27
In light of a recent challenge from a potato-headed BMW driver, I'm looking to get my hands on a cheap cone/panel filter before I sort out a little boost problem. anybody wanna get rid of one?;)

M-R-P
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 22:01
Just an update to my "rant" thread. I decided to flush the tranny on the Big Sweed today. Knowing how much of a pig it is to put oil into the gearbox, cos the fill plug is so far back in the wheel arch that a super soaker looks like the best option...
I discovered Intravenous oil transfer...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IVgearbox.jpg
and into the stupid little hole...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/ivgearbox2.jpg
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMG00160-20111011-1038.jpg
I made sure there was a hole in the bottom of the I/V bag(bottle) to allow the oil to flow. It wasn't exactly quick but it did allow me to have a poke about around the suspension. Here comes the annoying bit, I grabbed the driveshaft and gave it a wiggle and it had about half an inch of play - side to side. Bad news. So I began ringing round pricing up a new cv joint - 43 quid at best. So, me and the father in law started flicking through the haynes book of lies to see how many spanners the job was when I noticed that the picture of the hub in the book looked a little different from mine... theirs had a bolt holding the hub to the cv joint...! These bolts are far too long to just "fall out" so whoever changed the disk last (leicestershire plod) didn't put the hub bolt in! Couldn't get the bolt on it's own so I had to buy a cv boot kit for 15 quid, fitted and torqued the bolt and tadaa! no more wobbly driveshaft and no more dodgy knocking noise when changing gear!:)
So new tranny oil, sorted cv and for an encore, I did a clutch fluid bleed (didn't do it when I did the brake fluid - D'oh
If anybody want's a cv boot kid (minus the hub bolt) - £10 posted :)

M-R-P
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 23:48
New disks tomorrow, don't want to use oem or pattern ones, but if I can't get hold of mintex or similar then pattern it is...:(

AndysR
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 23:53
Got to love a quick fix and surprisingly the Haynes manual actually benefited the home mechanic rather than advising that due to the specialist work required it should be refered to your "local Volvo dealer"... lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 23:55
good job I only ever look at the pictures!

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 22:35
Ok, New 305mm Brembo disks today, £84 from GSF, not a great price but time was short.
SO on they go...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMG00166-20111012-1150.jpg
It's hard to see from the pic but the old disks were lipped to f**k and only had 22mm of meat left on them.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMG00164-20111012-1149.jpg
Now, happy with my rather successful work, I thought I'd take the bro-in-law for a drive. No brakes, well, I had do put my foot through the floor to get anywhere near stopping.
"Bugger"
I deducted that the pads, which should have had loads of life left in them, were too mis-shapen from the knackered disk that bedding in was not an option. (I know, I know, you're supposed to change the pads when you do the disk) Having binned 84 quid on the disks, I was broke so the bro-in-law was kind enough to treat me to a set of oem pads (£37 from europarts) - GCheerz Roger!
Happy days, new pads on - still no brakes! well slightly better than before but still not roadworthy and I deffo wasn't about to let my wife and son travel in it.
So, back to the in-laws place (they got loads of tools and a driveway) Full brake system and clutch bleed, nothing.
Had a wheel off trying to check the alignment of the carriers and piston etc. nothing. At this point I was about ready to call it and replace the master cylinder, then I saw something...
At this point I would like to bring you back to this photo...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMG00166-20111012-1150.jpg
Notice anything odd? Yes! I had that f**ckin spring thingy on wrong and it was buggering up the alignment of the pads. D'oh, facepalm, bang head with wheelbrace!
So everybody, feel free to give me some serious stick over this... cos I did it on both effin wheels!!!!!!!!!!1 :(

Hey-ho lives and learns!

M-R-P
Thursday 13th October 2011, 17:05
By heck! she don't half stop well now! What with the new recirc, bolted down cv joint, new disks, new pads, powerflow cone filter, tranny flush and the 2011 ecu update from volvo, she's a different car. Love it :):):):)

LeeT5
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 16:30
Be careful with the cone filter or any filter that involves oiling. If you apply too much then the excess gets sucked onto the MAF and screws it.

I recommend a Stainless steel race filter that doesn't need oil.

M-R-P
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 18:15
Thanks for the advice Lee, I got the filter for free and was a bit of a trial which I really do like. When it comes to oiling, I have a plan... When clean and oiled I'll blast it with with hot air to clean the excess off. Will probably take a few attempts but will have a go and if all else fails I'll go for the stainless. Thanks again.

M-R-P
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 18:43
So here we are, it's a shame there isn't a "have a rant" section on the forum 'cos that's where this thread belongs. I won't call this a project because it simply isn't. After 182000 miles, I'm just trying to restore the old girl to her original glory and if I can chuck a few mods in on the way then all the better.
So, what have I achieved so far?
Freed - off wastegate spindle (regular occurrence).
changed gearbox fluid.
had all 4 wheels aligned.
sorted knocking noises (mainly hub bolt - or lack of)
new front disks.
new front pads.
new DIM (spent months re-soldering it till it almost caught fire!)
Various body/paint repairs
Various interior repairs
Painted a few bits in the engine bay
powerflow filter.
Oil filter, air filter, fuel filter change
oil change
PCV clean + new separator tank (soooo smug, didn't take the inlet mani off!)http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38240&page=2
Changed recirc valve (suspected is wasn't as good as it could have been - helped a bit)

Future work...
New front shocks.
Lowering springs
Steering control arms.
Polybush a few bits
droplinks
Remap.
Wheel refurb (all 5 alloys)

That's it. Providing she doesn't go bang in the meantime, I will be using this thread as a sort of diary/rant board. If anybody looks in and maybe finds something useful then all the better.:)

p fandango
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 18:48
its all worth it in the end, i'm thinking about upping to 305's on Bonny so glad to see your impressed with them

M-R-P
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 18:55
Oh, she stops mate, really well from ahem "high speed" ;)

p fandango
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 18:57
Oh, she stops mate, really well from ahem "high speed" ;)
erm i've got a D5, high speed isn't possible office ;) lol

M-R-P
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 19:12
Yeah but you got all that oil/paraffin/creosote you're carrying around to stop as well as a big Swedish car! lol

LeeT5
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 19:53
Just seen the new DIM in the dark, How sexxy is that!;)

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/newdash2.jpg

You could have asked if they could fit an R dash??? Not sure if it is possible but it should fit. Actually, scrap that idea. It wouldn't work because the R dash it lit by 4 bright leds shining onto the face and at night the white increments around the outside light up automatically. Your T5 is lit from the rear completely. So you would see the blue effect very well at night at all.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/DuskinRlandwelcomeaboardcaptain.jpg

The photo really doesn't do it justice. The fuel and coolant temp guage are alot brighter and easy to read in the flesh.

M-R-P
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 22:57
I get where you're coming from mate, I tried to get everything under the sun... playing the "735 quid for a speedo" thing, best I got was the 2011 ecu update buck-shee - extra 5-9mpg and a smoother power delivery. From what I can gather, I got the 2004 S60 dash with LED backlight and a modern indicator clicker.

P.S. Where's your readout screen?

M-R-P
Saturday 29th October 2011, 15:45
Update,
Got a "clonk" from the nearside front today so off came the wheel. Thinking it could be something to do with the new brakes, (I always doubt my own work) I had a poke around and found nothing. It was a big clonk and I wasn't gonna leave it till I found the cause so out came the big screwdriver. It didn't take much levering to find out that the sausage-shaped bush on the wishbone was shot. Uuurrgh! gonna be another job to do when I change the shocks but on the upside, it's a good excuse to polybush the front. Tune in next week...:(

M-R-P
Wednesday 2nd November 2011, 19:14
Ok polybushes turned up today. little question for anybody who knows... the leaflet that came with the wishbone bushes says not to remove the metal sheath from inside the wishbone, but I've heard that the bush would be over compressed if inserted into the sheath. Any ideas?
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF6940.jpg

Now I'm gonna have a moan... Backed out of my parking space today, leaving work and backed straight into the works pickup. Only a minor ding to the bumper but...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF6942.jpg
Shattered the bloody light cluster! GGGGRRRRR.
Anybody got a lower drivers side light cluster for a P2 V70? :)

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd November 2011, 17:19
Ok, after pleading poverty to the guy at GSF, I got these for £190...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF6946.jpg
A busy weekend methinks!
After my roaring success (and subsequent smugness) with doing my PCV, who want's to bet weather or not I can get the polybushes in without completely removing the wishbones...?;)

M-R-P
Friday 4th November 2011, 20:33
Ok, tomorrow I tackle the shocks and bushes. Any suggestions, advice or quick fixes I should know about? I'm pretty good at this sort of thing but I've never done this before. For an extra challenge, I'm gonna try to do the polybushes without removing the wishbones (don't try to talk me out of it ;) if it goes badly, the wishbones come off, if it goes well, I'll post a how to:)) but the shocks... Simple? anything to look out for? I'm thinking of partly compressing the spring before I take the shock off, supporting the wishbone hub assembly, with the hub bolt out and the driveshaft pushed back into the tranny. Then removing the strut and undoing the front of the wishbone, wedging it forward then doing the polybush while the father in law is putting the spring on the new shock.
Sound like a plan?

As always, you're skills and knowledge are gratefully received and all input is welcome.

Martin.

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 01:39
? :)

p fandango
Saturday 5th November 2011, 01:49
the only tip i can think to pass on is to loosen the front shock top nut before you remove it, heard it can be a nightmare to undo once you've removed the shock (got all my suspension to replace now). Must admit i cheated & got a garage to fit my poly wishbone bushes

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 01:56
the only tip i can think to pass on is to loosen the front shock top nut before you remove it, heard it can be a nightmare to undo once you've removed the shock (got all my suspension to replace now). Must admit i cheated & got a garage to fit my poly wishbone bushes

Big girls blouse! I'll post a few tips depending on how it goes ;)
Thanks for the top mount tip dude!

p fandango
Saturday 5th November 2011, 01:59
Big girls blouse! I'll post a few tips depending on how it goes ;)
i had them fitted back in the day when mechanics rates were reasonable, plus i had a relative working at the garage so think they charged me about £11 (weren't worth getting my hands dirty lol)

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 02:06
i had them fitted back in the day when mechanics rates were reasonable, plus i had a relative working at the garage so think they charged me about £11 (weren't worth getting my hands dirty lol)

So by now the bushes have hardened? lol
thinking about doing another "post as I go" thingy, like I did when doing the PCV, just to give people a giggle ;)
Gonna bring the laptop and the good camera and do it properly.

p fandango
Saturday 5th November 2011, 02:10
So by now the bushes have hardened? lol
i did make a point of checking them over the last time i had the wheels off, & they looked exactly the same as when first fitted. You can't go wrong with Powerflex ;)

thinking about doing another "post as I go" thingy, like I did when doing the PCV, just to give people a giggle ;)
Gonna bring the laptop and the good camera and do it properly.
oh dear lol

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 02:13
i did make a point of checking them over the last time i had the wheels off, & they looked exactly the same as when first fitted. You can't go wrong with Powerflex ;)

oh dear lol

Yeah, you'll be watching, quietly, waiting for me to screw up, same as everybody else;)
That's why this thread has had over 1200 views lol

Tune tomorrow at 12:00 (after taking the little boy swimming... hummm)

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 12:35
Kick-off! after a ribbing for reversing into a pickup, from the in-laws! n/s wheel coming off...

p fandango
Saturday 5th November 2011, 12:56
you not done it yet? i'm waiting to see your guide so i can see how i've got to do mine lol

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 13:24
Bent one of the big bolts holding the hub carrier... sending the missus out for 4 new ones :(
I used some blocks and some wire to keep the hub carrier steady after taking the shock out and undoing the wishbone bush. \remember - remove the hub bolt and push the driveshaft back into the tranny.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF6947.jpg
Checked the droplink - luurrrvely!:)

p fandango
Saturday 5th November 2011, 13:26
Broke one of the big bolts holding the hub carrier... sending the missus out for 4 new ones :(
i had to grind out of those bolts off on BT because they were solid, not cheap either tho i'm afraid mate

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 14:18
old wishbone bush out... pig of a thing that was...note... pic was taken BEFORE I realised that the outer metal casing of the bush needed cutting and removing.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF6951.jpg
I found that, rather than pressing it out, I drilled through the rubber a few times and with a couple of spanners, turned and turned (strong wrists required) until "crunch" out it popped...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF6949.jpg

GreenMachine
Saturday 5th November 2011, 15:27
Must admit i cheated & got a garage to fit my poly wishbone bushes

How are these by comparison with stock rubber ones - do they transmit more road noise, or make the suspension any stiffer? is it a really hard ride? as I keep on changing the wishbones on mine and now looking for the third set in not a lot of miles

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 16:54
New bush in...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF6950.jpg
I tried using a jubilee clip to get the bush into the wishbone but that annoyed me so much, it wasn't worth it. In the end, I used a G-clamp and wedged one side of the bush in the wishbone then prise the rest in with a screwdriver to get the lip in. Then it was a matter of winding it in with the clamp. I'll get more pics of this procedure when I do the other side, tomorrow.

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 19:00
Just had some dinner...
6 hours to do one side. I put the knackered bolt back in for now (it was just a little bent) till I can get a new set on monday. Admittedly, most of the time was wasted on wtf moments, like not realizing that I had to cut out the metal outer bit of the old bush before the new one would fit in. It was all pretty simples when I worked out what I was doing.
I'll post some pics later, when I get home.
Gonna get back on it first thing tomorrow and update as I go.

p fandango
Saturday 5th November 2011, 19:20
Just had some dinner...
6 hours to do one side. I put the knackered bolt back in for now (it was just a little bent) till I can get a new set on monday. Admittedly, most of the time was wasted on wtf moments, like not realizing that I had to cut out the metal outer bit of the old bush before the new one would fit in. It was all pretty simples when I worked out what I was doing.
I'll post some pics later, when I get home.
Gonna get back on it first thing tomorrow and update as I go.
sounds like lessons were learnt so fingers crossed the other side will be alot easier. I want to see pics of you changing the shocks, i'm interested how the top mounts go because i've got to fit them onto my coil-overs lol

have anything good for tea? lol

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 20:51
sounds like lessons were learnt so fingers crossed the other side will be alot easier. I want to see pics of you changing the shocks, i'm interested how the top mounts go because i've got to fit them onto my coil-overs lol

have anything good for tea? lol

Not sure if I got any useable shots of the top mount, Will get some when I do the other side ;)
Yeah I learned a few things today but the thing is, I learned rather than just going mental and giving up! (I nearly had a few sense of humor failures)
And... I did get the polubush done without removing the wishbone.:):):)

EDIT... 2 Jacket spuds with cheese, onion and beans. Yum Yum

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 21:59
I'll start a separate thread on "how to polybush your wishbone while changing the shocks" tomorrow. Lotsa photos and explanations. Hopefully, I can help somebody ;)

p fandango
Saturday 5th November 2011, 22:35
How are these by comparison with stock rubber ones - do they transmit more road noise, or make the suspension any stiffer? is it a really hard ride? as I keep on changing the wishbones on mine and now looking for the third set in not a lot of miles
my original bushes were totally shot so anything would of been an improvement, Martin will tell you once his finished his write-up & had a drive ;)

M-R-P
Tuesday 8th November 2011, 11:28
Ok, shocks and wishbone bushes done.
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38699
Today it's inner and outer track rods, new lower shock/hub assembly bolts and front shock top mounts;)
Anybody remember the film "the money pit"?

I'll keep yall posted on the progress...

sylva_phoenix
Tuesday 8th November 2011, 19:40
Having recently bought a private manual t5 for less than 1900 quid, I'd be temptd to look at another car. The price of t5's are rock bottom at the moment. Check autotrader and eBay. There are some on there that have been for sale for 4 months or so and the prices have been reduced many times. maybe thats because they aren't up to scratch, but I'd say its more to do with the price of petrol amd economy etc.700 quid on a 2k car is painful and eclven if it worked you'd start to resent the thing.
My 2 pence
Laurence

M-R-P
Tuesday 8th November 2011, 19:47
Ok, on a mission today... Got the inner and outer track rods and top mount rubber spring retainer thingys from GSF (£75) and replacement hub carrier bolts from local stealer (£10.80 - not bad at all)
Raining all day so wanted to get stuck in. Did myself proud, within 15 minutes I had the N/S strut out, spring compressed and the top mount replaced. Put it back in with the new bolts - lurrvely!
Pig of a job getting the N/S outer track rod off but managed it relatively quickly.
I should now explain that this was 13:30 and I had planned to get the car to ProTyre to get the tracking done.
So... I grab the new track rod and go to screw it on - bloody thing was about 40mm too short! :(
So, back to GSF, bloke behind the counter tried to stall until he realised that he picked the wrong part and promptly handed the correct one to me with a mouth full of humble pie.
N/S all back together. As before, flew through the O/S shock top mount. Wrestled the old inner O/S track rod off, put it next to the new one... 60mm too bloody long. By now I had suffered a total sense of humor failure and was ready to pick the little pipsqueak up by his ears if he tried to wiggle out of a second f**k up. Long story short, got some discounted bits n bobs as a sorry.
Finally got the car back together at 17:30, had to pick the little Volvo nut up from nursery and collect Mrs MRP from work all before 18:00. Needless to say, I didn't get the tracking done but to get it close, I used a stringline and a bungee.
The steering wheel is just off center and it wanders, slightly to the left but it's still better than when we first got the car. Oh, the camber is a little off too - she now rubs on full right lock.
Tracking tomorrow:)

Rant over, thanks for reading!

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th November 2011, 00:19
Having recently bought a private manual t5 for less than 1900 quid, I'd be temptd to look at another car. The price of t5's are rock bottom at the moment. Check autotrader and eBay. There are some on there that have been for sale for 4 months or so and the prices have been reduced many times. maybe thats because they aren't up to scratch, but I'd say its more to do with the price of petrol amd economy etc.700 quid on a 2k car is painful and eclven if it worked you'd start to resent the thing.
My 2 pence
Laurence

LOL, the thought has crossed my mind (hence this thread) but she now owes us over 1200quid and she's very close to being bang on. It's a real feeling of achievement (for me anyway) getting it all sorted with bloody hands and sweaty pits. Keeps me out of trouble and off the beer too ;)

M-R-P
Thursday 10th November 2011, 12:25
Well, she's all sorted, mechanically at least. A few bits and bobs left to do but nothing that can't wait till the bank account has recovered. To celebrate, last night I had a couple of beers while doing a bit of tinter-webbing on my lappy. I went outside for a fag, took the lappy with me so I didn't miss anything. When I went back in, I don't know if it was the beer or just bad luck but I slipped on the step and dropped the lappy. It bounced down three steps and came to rest by the door. Anybody know where I can get a screen for a toshiba satellite for... (jingles change in pocket) 85p?

It never bloody ends:(

p fandango
Thursday 10th November 2011, 12:29
Well, she's all sorted, mechanically at least. A few bits and bobs left to do but nothing that can't wait till the bank account has recovered. To celebrate, last night I had a couple of beers while doing a bit of tinter-webbing on my lappy. I went outside for a fag, took the lappy with me so I didn't miss anything. When I went back in, I don't know if it was the beer or just bad luck but I slipped on the step and dropped the lappy. It bounced down three steps and came to rest by the door. Anybody know where I can get a screen for a toshiba satellite for... (jingles change in pocket) 85p?

It never bloody ends:(
theirs always something that needs money, i've got a No Fear T-shirt with the perfect slogan on "if it's got wheels or a skirt you can't afford it" lol. Have you tried Fleabay or are there any local computer fairs in your area for the screen

M-R-P
Thursday 10th November 2011, 12:35
theirs always something that needs money, i've got a No Fear T-shirt with the perfect slogan on "if it's got wheels or a skirt you can't afford it" lol. Have you tried Fleabay or are there any local computer fairs in your area for the screen

Flea bay is about £40.
I like that lappy. Can't use the big PC much cos it's plugged into and part of the entertainment in the lounge so the missus won't let me fire it up till she goes to bed :(
Spose I could send her to watch telly in the bedroom, no V+HD in there so she probably won't have that either.
Oh well, that's the remap fund dogged for another fortnight!

p fandango
Thursday 10th November 2011, 12:42
Flea bay is about £40.
I like that lappy. Can't use the big PC much cos it's plugged into and part of the entertainment in the lounge so the missus won't let me fire it up till she goes to bed :(
Spose I could send her to watch telly in the bedroom, no V+HD in there so she probably won't have that either.
Oh well, that's the remap fund dogged for another fortnight!
i don't like using PC's either, you've just reminded me i need a new battery for my spare netbook so thank you sir

M-R-P
Thursday 10th November 2011, 12:55
Oh I like using the big pc, it's an awsome gaming rig but the lappy is soooo much more convenient for faffin about on 'tinter-web.
Can't use those little netbooks, sausage fingers!

p fandango
Thursday 10th November 2011, 12:57
Oh I like using the big pc, it's an awsome gaming rig but the lappy is soooo much more convenient for faffin about on 'tinter-web.
Can't use those little netbooks, sausage fingers!
i don't even know if my PC works lol, i've got 2 netbooks & a normal laptop for work. The PS3's for games lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 29th November 2011, 23:07
AAAAALLLL-righty then!
Been a while since my last rant, Today I installed the replacement rear lower light cluster (some may remember that i backed into a IVECO pickup a while ago)
What a bast@rd of a thing that was. You can't get at the bloody bolts and getting the top half off first is just unfair! took all of an hour to do and there was only five effin bolts! grrrr
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0004.jpg

Still, all done now. :)
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0006.jpg

M-R-P
Saturday 10th December 2011, 23:06
Well.. Coolant flush today. I wouldn't have bothered but one of the hoses that connects to the bulkhead for the heater matrix has a leaky connection and I wanted to investigate.
Couldn't find the drain tap for the block so ended up having to use the one the rad and dilute - several times :(

Moan over!

M-R-P
Thursday 15th December 2011, 12:00
New battery yesterday as the old one had done 5 years and if I left the interior light on for more than 15 minutes, the car wouldn't start.
My mate got me one from a supplier he deals with. 75 Ah, retailing at 97 quid, paid 30 no questions...

Made more of a difference than I expected. Starts with a wup wup brooom now, the central locking no longer ignores me and the lights don't dim when I pull away :)
Happy days!

M-R-P
Sunday 18th December 2011, 18:54
Gave the old girl a wash today, I won't post pics because she's feeling a bit sorry for herself, what with the new trolley damage to the rear wing an all.
I also took the opportunity to fit the new filler flap bracketI "aquired" from my local scraappy. Had o use araldyte to help mount it yet to my over-eager method of removing it from its previous car.

:)

LeeT5
Monday 19th December 2011, 23:33
pm sent.

M-R-P
Monday 19th December 2011, 23:38
Received ;)

M-R-P
Saturday 24th December 2011, 01:29
Dipped beam bulb blew today so it was a good excuse for me to look for an upgrade.
Found Ring XenonMax, on offer in my local Motabitz at £16.99 the pair.
Very nice, bright, white light.
Only a quid more than online price too :)
So, just went on fleabay and got these...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270490315777
(I know they're not road legal, but whose gonna see 'em? lol) and yes, they'll probably blow the first time I flash somebody through, but, for the money, who cares? lol

M-R-P
Saturday 31st December 2011, 01:33
Got the new main beam hb3 bulbs yesterday. If you check the link above, they are advertised as "power white" and the pic shows a silver coating on the glass. They're not. They are the finest shade of chav blue. I'm not happy about this but they're ££££in bright, really ££££in bright and the return postage will be almost as much as the price of the buggers, so they stay until the mot.

M-R-P
Friday 6th January 2012, 20:26
Oakeedoakee.... Since the Big Sweed did so well in her MOT today, i decided to treat her to an engine flush. Not the STP stuff too, some expensive stuff from Belgium! Now, the previous owner (father in law) had always sucked the oil out througe the dipstick tube with some venturi thingy. All nice and convenient - for him. He had never drained through the sump. Now I know why. The plug was frozen with age and crud and the edges had been rounded off from previous attempts at removal. I had to hammer the expensive end of my posh ratchet ring spanner (16mm) onto the bloody thing.

Will be a photo here later!

When I got the plug out and drained the oil/flush mix I was amazed by what I saw. It looked like melted chocolate (didnt smell like it tho) and the filter was dark brown and clogged with gunk.
Obviously, the expensive flush did the trick ;)

Will be more photos here too ;)

Took the car for a quick spin just now, nice n smooth :)

M-R-P
Friday 27th January 2012, 11:43
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0070.jpg
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0074.jpg
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0075.jpg

p fandango
Friday 27th January 2012, 11:45
impressed you removed the mangled bolt without the use of an Angle grinder lol

M-R-P
Friday 27th January 2012, 11:55
Somebody reversed into the front of the Sweed last week. They dragged the rear wing/bumper of their 59 plate Mazda 6 (shiny white) down the side of my front bumper and arch. They did it while I was stood in front of them, watching. After I shouted and waved my arms at him, he pulled forward, got out and said "did I hit it?" Berk. After I gave him some concise tuition on how to use mirrors, I went over and inspected the damage to the T5...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMAG0084.jpg
He followed behind me, mumbling something about exchanging details and looking rather scared (he was half my size and I'd gone very quiet) The damage to the Volvo was nothing I couldn't sort out in a few hours so before he's finished asking me, for the third time, weather I wanted to exchange details, I walked round him, still silent, and looked at the damage to his car. He scuttled along, a fair distance behind me. When I saw his car, I laughed and said "Naaah, you're alright mate"

The Big Sweed had left an 18" crease along his rear arch and cracked the bumper lol.

Moral of the story? Don't pick a fight with a Volvo! :)

As I pulled out of the car park, he was on his phone and I heard "Yes, I know, I know, but, but..." I haven't seen the Mazda since (it was a nursery car park and it's usually there every day)

M-R-P
Friday 27th January 2012, 11:58
impressed you removed the mangled bolt without the use of an Angle grinder lol

Biggest worry was the possible damage to my expensive ratchet ring spanner, not designed to be hammered onto bolts larger than their internal diameter lol.
Plan B was to drill the bolt out to 6mm and tap it :)

Vikingxl
Friday 27th January 2012, 13:40
Mr peachy if you want to talk repair bills just give me a ring mate my xc has nearly bankrupted me over the last few years

M-R-P
Friday 27th January 2012, 14:07
Mr peachy if you want to talk repair bills just give me a ring mate my xc has nearly bankrupted me over the last few years

LOL, the bodywork isn't really a priority and I can deal with most scuffs etc. Mechanically, in the last 6 months she's cost me 800quid in parts and who knows how many hours of my time to get her to the stage she is now - which is very close to "as-new, factory" spec. We don't run these things because they're cheap to maintain or cheap to fuel or tax or insure etc. We have these cars because we enjoy them, weather it be for business or pleasure or some sordid mixture of the two ;).

M-R-P
Monday 30th January 2012, 12:31
When ours left Plod, it had Avon SV5, (I think that's what they're called) Father in law (previous owner) said they were very grippy in the dry bud he got stuck on damp grass once lol. I priced up a pair of Avons a while ago as the spare alloy still has one on it, £139 each :eek:
Biggest concern at the moment is getting the locking bolts out - key is now totally mangled and, as I found out recently, drilling is not an option :(.

T5frankie
Monday 30th January 2012, 12:42
When ours left Plod, it had Avon SV5, (I think that's what they're called) Father in law (previous owner) said they were very grippy in the dry bud he got stuck on damp grass once lol. I priced up a pair of Avons a while ago as the spare alloy still has one on it, £139 each :eek:
Biggest concern at the moment is getting the locking bolts out - key is now totally mangled and, as I found out recently, drilling is not an option :(.
hammer a 19mm socket over the ter of it

smithson007
Monday 30th January 2012, 13:00

Yep the only to get them out. Just make sure your a good shot at long range with a big hammer. Lol.

M-R-P
Monday 30th January 2012, 13:13

Yep, that's plan B mate, I just gotta find 4 sockets to ruin!

Yep the only to get them out. Just make sure your a good shot at long range with a big hammer. Lol.

Ever seen me swing a hammer? I used to make bespoke, oak framed buildings as well as doing a lot of axe-work when the workshops were quiet...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/thor.jpg

;)

smithson007
Monday 30th January 2012, 13:19

Ever seen me swing a hammer? I used to make bespoke, oak framed buildings as well as doing a lot of axe-work when the workshops were quiet...

;)

Oh well you should be a good shot them unless you used to make rustic oak framed buildings. Lol. Cheaper the better socket wise so they go on easier.

p fandango
Monday 30th January 2012, 14:27
i'll get it off for ya lol

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8774/dscf0001g.jpg

T5frankie
Monday 30th January 2012, 16:28

;)

you usually can get them back off again undo them but not right off and whack them from side to side with a hammer, use an impact socket if you have one

M-R-P
Monday 30th January 2012, 16:33

My mate has 3 18" TSW Venoms in his shed. the fourth is there but is missing the middle bit ;)

you usually can get them back off again undo them but not right off and whack them from side to side with a hammer, use an impact socket if you have one

Nice one Frankie :)

daza-b
Monday 30th January 2012, 16:34

looks like a locking nut was in the middle there at one point hahaha

p fandango
Monday 30th January 2012, 16:41
My mate has 3 18" TSW Venoms in his shed. the fourth is there but is missing the middle bit ;)
Vemons, i'd sell the remaining 3 to the Antiques road show lol