PDA

View Full Version : running lean on 1 & 2

antz
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:38
Help guys!

Whilst travelling down to Lincoln tonight my engine light came on so whilst I was there I had Emlyn (TFM) hook theT4 up to his code reader which came back with 2 faults.

lean bank on 1
lean bank on 2

So he switched the faults off and on the way home my engine light has come back on. I dont have a reader myself but im going to guess its the same problems,

What can I do to fix this, is it expensive, why always me?

ha ha

antz
Thursday 1st September 2011, 15:20
anybody?......no?.....dust.

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st September 2011, 15:29
Injectors blocking for some reason

AndysR
Thursday 1st September 2011, 22:23
As above, most likely a fuel supply issue and the fuel supply to the injectors is common between all the injectors it's possible the injectors themselves on those cylinders may be the route of your problem. I'd get them checked out asap as an engine which runs lean does so only for a short while....

antz
Friday 2nd September 2011, 08:55
urgh so much money and effort. I suppose the 250miles Ive done it in the last 2 days wasnt a good idea ha ha ha

Al115
Friday 2nd September 2011, 10:18
Fuel pump, if it's the original one, would be my place to start.

antz
Friday 2nd September 2011, 13:22
Thanks dude. Im going to sling some injector cleaner in it tonight and see if its just that. Then Ill start thinking about more serious problems and money.

t5 stealth
Friday 2nd September 2011, 13:39
Inlet manifold gasket leak or vac pipe ?

mitchyboy01
Friday 2nd September 2011, 17:24
Isn't bank 1 front lambda and bank 2 rear lambda, as opposed to cylinder 1 and cylinder 2. Maybe your running lean full stop on all cylinders and the front and rear lambdas have picked this up hence the codes?? I'm no expert but just though I'd throw it out there?

Mitch.

antz
Friday 2nd September 2011, 17:53
quite possibly Mitch!

mitchyboy01
Friday 2nd September 2011, 18:00
Id probably start with fuel pump?

Al115
Friday 2nd September 2011, 18:10
Yes it's not Cyls 1 and 2 it is Banks 1 and 2!

antz
Friday 2nd September 2011, 22:23
I did think that. Engine light has turned itself off again so Im thinking a dodgy sensor.

Al115
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 10:51
Lambdas wear out commonly too, replacements are typically £80 each for new Bosch items, you have two.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 12:13
Lambdas wear out commonly too, replacements are typically £80 each for new Bosch items, you have two.

I replaced my lambdas on my car, codes went but still have flashing light. The car still runs lumpy so I'm going for fuel pump next lol

antz
Wednesday 7th September 2011, 11:01
Im guessing its the lambda sensors that are on the blink.

Ive thrown some injector cleaner through it but the light still comes on and goes off when it feels like it. Usually comes on for a couple of days then stays off about a week and comes back on again for a few more days.

Thatll be a hit to the 245 T5 project budget if I have to replace them! Is that £80 each or £80 for a pair and how hard are they to fit myself?

Al115
Thursday 8th September 2011, 08:50
£80 each (ballpark) and easy to fit - if you are going to kill the old ones, you can cut the cables, pop a ring spanner over each, and smack it until they undo. Cables can be fiddly to post back but nothing ten minutes of cursing won't solve.

p fandango
Thursday 8th September 2011, 08:54
Yes it's not Cyls 1 and 2 it is Banks 1 and 2!
bit off topic, but how does the engine know the fuel state for each cylinder. Surely it would need 5 lamba sensors, one for each cylinder?

M-R-P
Thursday 8th September 2011, 08:56
It probably uses whatever sensor used to detect a missfire in each cylinder?

antz
Thursday 8th September 2011, 10:54
£80 each!? jesus christ! Engine light can stay on for a while longer. I dont have any money and my borrowings for the 245 Project have caught up with me so Im trying to pay that back!

Al115
Thursday 8th September 2011, 11:07
bit off topic, but how does the engine know the fuel state for each cylinder. Surely it would need 5 lamba sensors, one for each cylinder?

It doesn't, I don't think. I think it knows the overall fuel state for the engine. Hence Banks (which in our case means pre and post cat) not Cylinders.

p fandango
Thursday 8th September 2011, 11:41
It doesn't, I don't think. I think it knows the overall fuel state for the engine. Hence Banks (which in our case means pre and post cat) not Cylinders.
i read your intial post wrong, i thought you were saying its cylinders. My mistake :(