PDA

View Full Version : Driver's seat back-tilt failure

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:25
The sliding forward and back and the base of the seat's incline/decline work fine but the seat back won't tilt forward and back

I can hear the mtor trying... but failing? Waht do I need to do/ replace anyone?

If anything needs replacing, is it easier to stick an entire relacement driver's seat in the car if I have access to one soon?

Cheers

Ed.
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 01:48
Ok, slide the seat forwards and upwards. You need to access the seat back from the rear passenger footwell. Use needle nose pilers to uncrimp the seat hide at the bottom and unhook the piece of metal that holds it in place. Put your hand up the back of the seat and on the right hand side you will feel a cylindrical metal object with a few sharp edges. This is the motor for the seat back adjustment.

You mention you can hear the motor turning but no movement. This suggests 1 of 2 things to me. Either the cable that enters the motor has come loose, in which case push the cable that enters the top of the cylinder into the motor and hold in place. Try and adjust the seat back. If still no joy, then it could be the spindle inside, part of the motor that is no longer gripping. If this is the case, unscrew the black sensor that is attached at the bottom of the motor (as seen in picture). The spindle is a small thin piece of metal that looks like a half length match stick. It sits in the sensor and extends into the motor iirc. Replace with another from volvo/breakers and refit.

HTH

Ed