PDA

View Full Version : ABS + 'Tracs Off' lights + periodical vibration through brake pedal with noise = ???

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 22:21
It only happens occasionally but the noise is a loud, vibrating 'rrrrrrrr' and it is immediately felt through the brake pedal which pushes itself back towards me sluightly in the process. A pumping of the pedal stops this immediately and the sound only ever lasts for about three seconds.

The ASB and Tracs off lights pop on and off every few minutes and are probably on more than off.

I have had new discs and oads at the rear last week but this was happening before then anyway.

Nothing obvious going on at the front either. I has a new driver side CV boot fitted but again apart from a minor 'whistling' as something touches the disc or pads slightly, no apparent issues.

Any thoughts on what it means and ehat I ought to do about it please?

Thank you!

p fandango
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 22:25
if your not braking that harsh that the ABS needs to cut in, then i would suggest looking at the speed sensors on the front wheel hubs (or the actual speed rings). The ABS is part of the diagnostic system so get the codes read & see what the ecu says is up

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 22:32
Thanks for the reply.

I'm certainly not braking that hard, in fact sometimes I thinkit has done it without me necessarily braking.

I'll get that looked at shortly but thanks for the pointers.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st September 2011, 11:54
Low speed ABS firing means your reluctor rings are shot (cracked or have teeth missing).

Inspect & replace as necessary.

This >>shop (http://www.reluctorrings.com/)<<sells them - so you don't need to replace the whole outer CV joing

Sean575
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:26
cheers Dave, I'll have a look soon.