PDA

View Full Version : Softer Shocks for my T5-R... Is it possible?

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 22:15
I have enjoyed a full beans ride over the Manchester Pennines tonight with an open, dry road. What more could I ask for? Well, the only thing I could think of was a less teeth-rattling ride.

The car is sharp and smooth on a good surface but hard as nails over everything else. I think that the standard spec shocks are on it and although the ride height looks good, I would happily sacrifice this for comfort. I don't want to change the 205/45/17 Pirellis Assimetricos for anything lower or wider at this stage so it's just springs I want to know about.

I had Koni's on my last car and they were better but still really too hard for my liking.

Can anyone tell me if I can put regular 'softer' standard 850 springs on it (or anything else) that will suffice as long as I don't corner too hard or go too fast, risking a 'bottoming out'?

Advice eagerly anticipated!

T5frankie
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:04
get an 850r they have a softer ride

M-R-P
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:16
ever driven a P2 V70? - like surfing custard! :)

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:17
Are Konis just as hard but simply 'better'?

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:20
Can a P2 V70's springs go onto my t5-r, improving ride somewhat... or is it a bit more complicated than that?

M-R-P
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:25
Can a P2 V70's springs go onto my t5-r, improving ride somewhat... or is it a bit more complicated than that?

not sure, maybe because P2 is heavier, dunno really but I know the P2 chassis is very taught, and although the suspension is comfortable and holds the road well, it will still be caught out by sunken manhole covers and potholes. Maybe it's just a quirk of owning a big suede, bad back! ;)

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:27
I've been prepared for that possibility! Always nice of options exist tho...

Any views on 'posh' shockers vs originals?

M-R-P
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:32
I've been prepared for that possibility! Always nice of options exist tho...

Any views on 'posh' shockers vs originals?

In my experience, upgrading suspension parts only ever results in one thing, harder ride. maybe something like an xc70 lift kit - longer bump and slower rebound sucks the bumps up nicely?

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:35
I'll look into that... sounds very 'SEMA'.

merc85
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:46
Are Normal 850 t5 shocks/suspension different to the t5-r setup then?

As i find even with 215/40/17 tyres the ride is very exceptable in my 855 t5

Sean575
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 23:48
Yes, original test articles explain this is the case. Damn!!

t5_monkey
Thursday 1st September 2011, 00:26
Bilsteins give great low frequency damping while allowing a degree of high frequency compliancy.

leet5r
Thursday 1st September 2011, 00:31
why get a R then , should have got a mormal se,glt ,cd spec t5 , look into the koni fsd kits , meant to be as soft as standard but then stiffern up when needed

T5frankie
Thursday 1st September 2011, 08:44
a standard t5 struggles to go round corners though lol but is very soft and comfortable, if you really want a softer ride sell your "R" and get a t5 don't detune your car otherwise you may struggle to sell it on

martybelfastt5
Thursday 1st September 2011, 20:08
i have bilstiens all round in my t5r dont find them tough, tho that is my opinion

Flatout Phil
Thursday 1st September 2011, 20:48
I got front Bilstein B4 from Eurocarparts (about £50 a side) for the fronts and this softened the ride a fair bit - commented on by at least two other VPCUK members on different occasions. TBH it is how they tend to be (the B4 improve the basic ride, mine has uprated front and rear anti roll bars, strut brace and 215/40/17 - so what I gained on the swings, I lost on the roundabouts - or maybe the other way around :)) You will get used to it, and whilst a bit rock, there's not much roll...and it is a classic sportscar ride.

Redbrick
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:00
If its on its original suspension the shocks are 16/17 years old and, I should imagine, 150K + miles. Might be best just to change the shocks and see if it is any better. I changed out the shocks on my first 850R and my V70 D5 at 100K- they were knackered and the transformation was amazing. I went with Bilstein B6's on the D5 and whilst not cheap the ride was exactly as monkey has stated.

t5_monkey
Thursday 1st September 2011, 21:19
You'll find although the ride is firm, it feels better, less crashy and better 'damped' at the same time.

I found mine a lot more pleasant with the change to B8's.

Your shocks will be tired with that mileage and ready for a change anyways! Bilsteins are awesome shocks you won't go wrong. I think they're one of the best upgrades I put on mine.

AndysR
Thursday 1st September 2011, 22:07
I'd never describe the ride in mine as crashy but it was firm and changing from the standard 100k suspension to the Koni adjustables made a significant improvement to the ride it's still a firm ride but it's ability to absorb the bumps has improved 10 fold, not to mention a significant improvement in handling coupled with a significant decrease in suspension travel meaning your not all over the road the instant you hit a bump. Wheel spin has reduced significantly since changing the suspension which is also a big plus point for our heavy front wheel drivers. The wheel/tyre size doesn't help the ride either which was why Volvo offered the 16" wheel swap as an option to owners when the cars were new.

Sean575
Friday 2nd September 2011, 00:14
Yes, I read about the 'no cost' wheel downgrade when the cars were new. I'll be damned if I ever take the Titans off her though. I'd rather have dentures!

I think it will be Koni's after all. I don't mind firm, I just hate rattling. banging and judering.

Shrink
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 22:35
Apologies for thread revival but wondering whether able to achieve satisfactory outcome?,as in same boat.