PDA

View Full Version : water leak

nagrom
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 18:44
I've got an 855 2.0 10 valve, use it as my 'van' had it for 7 years, yesterday when going round a few bends noticed the low coolant lamp flash on , didn't think to much it,s done it before, today after about 10 miles it came on and stayed on, again didn,t take much notice, done it before, did my first job on my way to second job travelled about 25 miles in total from leaving home, I noticed steam from under the bonnet, immediately looked at temp gauge which was sitting between normal and high, heater still blowing warm so got to next port of call a further half a mile opened bonnet and it sounded as if it was boiling.
I let it cool down added water and started the car, it was leaking coolant quite badly and on investigation there is a severe leak directly under No 3 inlet port, first thought was head gasket but it seems to be leaking far to quickly, does anyone know if there is anything like a core plug or similar on the cylinder head under inlet port 3? or could it be cylinder head gasket.
The engine is running perfectly, if it is the head gasket, how long to change and would the head need skimming?

Jamest5r
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 19:16
You sure it's not coming from the thermostat housing and running along the back of the mani and leaking down there? its the only thing with water in that area,

nagrom
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 20:32
It's definately coming from under No3 inlet port, if I rev the engine it actually shoots a stream of water between the inlet manifold ports!

merc85
Wednesday 31st August 2011, 20:45
Sounds like a Crack in the head/ water Jacket, at least thats the only thing i can think of. sorry