PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Engine Bay

stuAWD
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 19:39
Am about to start cleaning the engine bay on 1998 V70 R AWD. Engine is type with distributer. Can anyone tell me what is involved in removing the cam cover. Is it just a case of undoing the star screws and lifting the cover off, and replacing the cover with a new gasket fitted, or is it more involved.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 20:31
If you remove the cam cover there will be nothing holding the cams in place save the belt itself - so be careful

stuAWD
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 19:02
If you remove the cam cover there will be nothing holding the cams in place save the belt itself - so be careful
Thanks for the info. Think the cam cover will get cleaned in situ now.
What a wonderful forum.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 19:26
Glad I could help.

Unlike most engines where the cover is just a cover with separate oil bearing for the cams, indeed they are all part of one piece.

Personally I have always struggled with that. It would be ace to get the castlations on top all shiny - but there again I'd rather not upset the timing!! :gasp:

BTW you can remove the fuel rail cover and take that out for a good polish. Use brake fluid to remove the lacquer - then buff it till yer fingers bleed!

stuAWD
Thursday 11th August 2005, 18:55
Did the fuel rail, and u right it do make u pinkies red.
Got a set of brass wire brushes, it seems to get the worst of gunge off the cam cover, but there is always that awkward corner you just cant get.
Once again I'm pleased I asked before I opened the tool box.

spesh
Thursday 11th August 2005, 19:04
Best bet to leave the cover on, but if it was to be taken off I dont belive that there is a gasket that goes on, well it doesnt with the 850's. Just the same with the sump, no gasket there you have to use silicone sealer.

Al115
Thursday 11th August 2005, 19:51
Yeah no gasket AFAIK, apart from that funny Volvo liquid stuff...

stuAWD
Friday 12th August 2005, 19:21
Cheers Spesh & A/115, but WD has made my mind up. the cover stays on, and only comes off when it realy needs to, and by someone who knows about such things as cams & timing belts. Me, I guess I'll stick to cleaning & polishing.

p fandango
Friday 12th August 2005, 23:22
you can still get good results with the cover left in place

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3179/untitled8ml1.jpg

stuAWD
Monday 15th August 2005, 19:55
:thewave: if i spend the amount of time on mine as you have obviously spent on yours, i dont think i could earn enough coin to live on never mind run a T5.
That is a pretty special engine bay.

p fandango
Monday 15th August 2005, 20:16
:thewave: if i spend the amount of time on mine as you have obviously spent on yours, i dont think i could earn enough coin to live on never mind run a T5.
That is a pretty special engine bay.
lol thats not mine but an old friend of mine, took him 6 months to do the engine bay & the rest of the car is just as clean

Ps if you notice its not turbo'd, its a 2litre NA