PDA

View Full Version : Problems, Problems and more problems.

smithson007
Saturday 27th August 2011, 21:14
The list of problems on my V70R is starting to grow rapidly.

Got my new droplinks this morn so though nice sunny day lets fit them. Got car jacked got first wheel off no problem went rounfd to the other side and disaster. The top of the locking wheel nut sheered clean off inside the socket so after an hour with a 19mm socket, a 14Ib sledge hammer and a lot of swear words i finally got it off.
Next started to take the droplinks off but oh no they decide not to play ball. Got the nut off the bottom of the first 1 but top wouldnt budge so eventuall lost the head with it and drilled the middle of the bolt clean out. Got the 2nd one off and back on in around 15 mins easy peasy.
Some time had passed by this point and some skin had been lost from the knuckles so the rest of my jobs for the day went on hold.

Took the car out for a blast see if the knocking had gone which it has but then i booted it out of a corner and the emissions fault light flashed on and back off again. Thought nothing of it. Stopped to see a mate got back in the car started her up and the lights now on permenantly. Seems to be running a bit rough at idle and revs are sitting at around 1k mark. Any ideas?

Problem 2: had a rattle on the back end so had a look at the rear callipers and the drivers side one aint working. The outside pad is sitting about 3-4mm away from the disc and rattling against it when you go over a bump. Will this be a new caliper needed or can these be easily repaired?

Problem 3/4: Just discovered today that the cruise aint working neither is the rear wash wipe. Are there seperate relays for these? Ive checked fuses and theyre all fine? Are these common problems for breaking?

Problem 5: Still got my problem with lack of power but on way home before changed up into 4th gear pulling up a slight hill and after about 2-3 secs of having my foot down pulling the boost just seemed to dump and i had to lift off and put my foot back down to get boost again. Ive got a bailey's DV fitted. Could this be faulty or could it be a dodgy actuator?

Thanks for reading my little rant people and any help would be much appreciated.

Yosser
Saturday 27th August 2011, 22:14
Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with the car.

Not sure what to suggest, but if you do make it up here I can at least read/clear codes for you.

volvo
Sunday 28th August 2011, 00:31
Hi Smithson

sorry to hear about the issues with the car....im no expert mechanic but i started with issues with power/boost with mine too and it seems to be common on the 850's at least. the culprit is often a leaking vac pipe. Have you had a good look around the pipes to check for leaks etc or even a loosely connected pipe?

smithson007
Sunday 28th August 2011, 21:17
yes had a good look over all vac pipes and cant find anything. Just starting to wonder if im over looking something simple.

volvo
Sunday 28th August 2011, 22:27
im just wondering if you have the means to get the codes read?? Maybe the best place to start....also, would you have access to maybe a maf sensor that you could try and swap to see if it rectifies the boost issue?

Its probably best to try get the codes read before you start swapping bits though

Qady

smithson007
Sunday 28th August 2011, 22:46
Im going up to see yosser tomorrow so he's going to read my codes for me. I had a warning light come on yesterday. I think its the emmisions one. Its the one next to the service light(bottom right). Triangle with funny looking thing in it.
Might try get hold of a second hand MAF and give that a try. Also getting rid of my bailey DV tomorrow so see if that helps. Replacing it with a forge one.

volvo
Sunday 28th August 2011, 22:54
maybe if you can try it without any dump valve, see how it goes? the reason im suggesting that is i have read a number of articles about dump valves on here and potential problems with them...so many people resort to removing them completely and going back to standard, just a though as you will be taking it off anyway, just see how it drives.

i also had the same warning light come up on mine, i replaced the lamda sensor and it cleared the fault. That's not to say thats the only cause, but in my case, it was.

good luck let us know how you get on tomorrow....

Yosser
Monday 29th August 2011, 19:24
It turns out the fault light was on due to a coolant sensor issue and not related to the poor running. Code cleared and no sign of it re-appearing, so perhaps an intermittent issue there.

The lack of boost/performance was down to the BCS being plumbed in the wrong way :doh:

Only worked that out after running 3 different ecu's in the car, then 2 in mine. A bit of a long winded process of elimination, but we got there....

smithson007
Monday 29th August 2011, 22:06
It turns out the fault light was on due to a coolant sensor issue and not related to the poor running. Code cleared and no sign of it re-appearing, so perhaps an intermittent issue there.

The lack of boost/performance was down to the BCS being plumbed in the wrong way :doh:

Only worked that out after running 3 different ecu's in the car, then 2 in mine. A bit of a long winded process of elimination, but we got there....

yes thanks again for the help today mate. Car feels so much better now. Had some fun on the way home.
Just need to sort the vac hose on the boost guage. It keeps flying off likely cant take the boost now.Lol.

volvo
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 07:49
Well done guys, nice when it comes together.....

Sometimes, process of elimination is the only way, and it can get long winded.....but you got ther in the end!

Qady

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 11:17
Is the cruise sorted now? Usually this is associated with the ABS Unit & or reluctor rings on the CV joints (castlelated rings that the ABS sensor uses to read wheel position/speed).

smithson007
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 19:10
Is the cruise sorted now? Usually this is associated with the ABS Unit & or reluctor rings on the CV joints (castlelated rings that the ABS sensor uses to read wheel position/speed).

No havent managed to get the cruise going yet. Yosser had his cruise fail but his was a switch on one of the pedals. He had a bit look over myne but couldnt find owt up there.
Are either of these parts that you mention easily fixable? Is there any way i could tell either way which one of these could be faulty?

smithson007
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 19:13
Well done guys, nice when it comes together.....

Sometimes, process of elimination is the only way, and it can get long winded.....but you got ther in the end!

Qady

Yes pleased with how the car goes now and pleased it didnt cost a fortune to fix.
Dont know how long the bcs has been plumbed up like that. Car's been running like that for some time before i got it id say because within 10 miles of setting off home the vac hose blew off the back of the boost guage. Likely hadnt had any boost to deal with for a while.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 19:22
You can inspect the reluctor rings as they are on the outside of the outer CV joints - if they are cracked, have teeth missing.

ABS unit will throw codes if it is knackered.

smithson007
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 19:29
Ok thanks ill have a look at them. There was only the one code when we checked it and that was for coolant temp sensor. Do the vac pumps ever give any problems on these car's?