PDA

View Full Version : C70 Turbo replacement

Darren
Saturday 27th August 2011, 14:28
Hello all,

I have a 99' 2.3 T5 with approx 120k on the clock and now need to replace the turbo, after owning the car for approx 10 years I don't wish to write it off just yet and hope to carry out the work myself, yet with axle stands and wheel ramps am I taking on more than I can chew?

I've had a look for information besides Haynes on how to carry out the work, has anyone any information they would be happy to share or refer me to for guidance. Replacement turbo's are on offer for approx £300 on ebay, which is a big difference to G&S for example, however any part/supplier recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Darren

greeleyt5
Saturday 27th August 2011, 14:42
Hi, first off why do you need a new turbo what are the symptoms of your car, a turbo exchange is pretty easy really I'm no mechanic and I managed it no problem but im having problems setting my boost right on the actuator anyway I removed the manifold and turbo in one but I think you can just remove the turbo on it's own and make sure you have a new oil return pipe seal cos they usually split when you remove them, are you getting smoke out your exhaust as it could just be your pcv system.

crezzy2k1
Saturday 27th August 2011, 15:05
Very easy mate, and more than doable with axle stands. There is a fantastic write up on one of these forums might be worth googling! But basically remove all pipes to the turbo, drain the coolant lossen off the centre band between the turbo and CHRA, lossen off all the oil and coolant bolts, give the middle a tap and it will come loose (may take some persading). Refitting is reversal but highly recommend you replace copper washers on the oil and coolant bolts.

Darren
Friday 16th September 2011, 10:32
Many thanks for the posts. Decided to get a second opinion after the seed of doubt was sown, ended up just needing to replace the oil return pipe gasket and seal!

Thanks again and special thanks to Dave Pengelly Autocare in Nottingham, highly recommended!!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 16th September 2011, 11:13
I was going to say - it is unlikely that the "turbo" will go - more often seals are the culprit

smithy
Friday 16th September 2011, 13:44
Many thanks for the posts. Decided to get a second opinion after the seed of doubt was sown, ended up just needing to replace the oil return pipe gasket and seal!

Thanks again and special thanks to Dave Pengelly Autocare in Nottingham, highly recommended!!

stick a 19t/kkk24/hlm hybrid and map and drive a completely different car to what you have been driving for the past 10 yrs and enjoy