PDA

View Full Version : Actuator weak??

merc85
Thursday 25th August 2011, 19:51
Hi there, i think my actuator is going weak,

She boost intially upt 17psi in 1st 2nd and 3rd but in all those gear's the boost drop's down to around 13 - 14 psi and only in 4th and 5th does she hold the boost better and consistantly.

Does this sound like a Weak actuator?? or a faulty mbc??

Have check for boost leaks and pritty sure there isn't any.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Volvo 850 t5 Manual running hlm with a mbc

M-R-P
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:02
Try tightening the actuator rod a bit see if it goes back to normal?

LiamT4
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:05
Hi there, i think my actuator is going weak,

She boost intially upt 17psi in 1st 2nd and 3rd but in all those gear's the boost drop's down to around 13 - 14 psi and only in 4th and 5th does she hold the boost better and consistantly.

Does this sound like a Weak actuator?? or a faulty mbc??

Have check for boost leaks and pritty sure there isn't any.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Volvo 850 t5 Manual running hlm with a mbc

Sounds like the actuator to me and similar to mine.
I'v got another actuator ready to go on, once i'm feeling a bit better, see what difference it makes.

merc85
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:16
Thanks for the reply People, will try and tighten the arm a little tomorrow. will keep you all posted.

smithson007
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:30
Im interested to see how you get on with this because im going to have a play with the car at the weekend and see if i can get it going any better.

merc85
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:32
Im interested to see how you get on with this because im going to have a play with the car at the weekend and see if i can get it going any better.

My previous running problem was a Faulty d26 dump valve,

T5frankie
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:37
sounds normal to me boost does drop off at the high end of the rev range

merc85
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:41
sounds normal to me boost does drop off at the high end of the rev range

Apreciate the imput frankie, I really do think tho it drops off far to quick. I will give the actuator a turn and see what happens.

smithson007
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:46
My previous running problem was a Faulty d26 dump valve,

Thats what i have fitted on myne so its coming off at the weekend. Its one less thing to go wrong. Im not a big fan of the bailey valves.

The Flying Moose
Thursday 25th August 2011, 21:25
From experience no matter how good the actuator is (even brand new ones) they will peak at say 1.2 bar for instance and then drop a little to 1.1. Its perfectly normal. If the actuator is weak tightening it will only solve the problem for a very short while. You need to remove it and feel how much resistance there is on the unit itself.

merc85
Thursday 25th August 2011, 22:51
From experience no matter how good the actuator is (even brand new ones) they will peak at say 1.2 bar for instance and then drop a little to 1.1. Its perfectly normal. If the actuator is weak tightening it will only solve the problem for a very short while. You need to remove it and feel how much resistance there is on the unit itself.

A|drop to 1.1 would be good

merc85
Friday 26th August 2011, 23:32
Thought id start with the recirc valve as i have a spare one, lol, Took the old one off to find to Fairly large holes in the diaphram.

Put my spare one in Yippe no more Boost loss!!

Thanks for all the reply's