PDA

View Full Version : need a new key......

big shrek
Wednesday 24th August 2011, 21:30
all i have for my c70 t5 gt is 1 key (not the red key) and a remote fob which doesnt work

now im bricking it incase i lose/break the only key i have so where do i get a new one from? can i get a blank cut and coded at a key cutting place? i had this done on my old primera gt i had 2 keys cut and coded and it was only £37

would this work with a volvo or do i have to go to volvo?

also if i brought a second hand fob can it be re-coded to my car?

big shrek
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:09
c'mon folks somebody must know...............

p fandango
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:41
all i have for my c70 t5 gt is 1 key (not the red key) and a remote fob which doesnt work

now im bricking it incase i lose/break the only key i have so where do i get a new one from? can i get a blank cut and coded at a key cutting place? i had this done on my old primera gt i had 2 keys cut and coded and it was only £37

would this work with a volvo or do i have to go to volvo?

also if i brought a second hand fob can it be re-coded to my car?
i think you can only get the keys done by Volvo as they are laser key, plus it will have to have the right transponder built-in. As for the fob i know on 850's their were 2 different types which looked identicle but would only work with there own system, if you found the right type there was a way of coding it to the car yourself (turn ignition on/off 5 times or something). But as i say that was for 850's

big shrek
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:46
i think you can only get the keys done by Volvo as they are laser key, plus it will have to have the right transponder built-in. As for the fob i know on 850's their were 2 different types which looked identicle but would only work with there own system, if you found the right type there was a way of coding it to the car yourself (turn ignition on/off 5 times or something). But as i say that was for 850's

ok mate cheers.............from volvo only.............best get saving then :)

p fandango
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:49
ok mate cheers.............from volvo only.............best get saving then :)
inless independant key cutters can now cut to half depths (which i doubt). Send Rufe a pm he'll give you a good price, i assume he'd want to see a scan of your V5 to confirm it is your vehicle if you do get one thru him

big shrek
Thursday 25th August 2011, 20:54
inless independant key cutters can now cut to half depths (which i doubt). Send Rufe a pm he'll give you a good price, i assume he'd want to see a scan of your V5 to confirm it is your vehicle if you do get one thru him

well im gonna go see the bloke who did my keys for my gt to see what he says if not then i will pm rufe

pigfight
Thursday 25th August 2011, 21:18
i had starting issues with a 96 850r, after all the usual culprits were ruled out, decided it was a transponder/immobiliser/key issue.
i spent days ringing key cutters and trawling the net to get a key cut and programmed, and as pedro said, only to be told (even by the 'dodgy' ones) that only volvo had the software to do it. volvo stoke:........£80.00 per key plus an hours labour (bout £45) plus they will need the car to do it!!!
this was over a year ago though, so you could drop lucky with a key cutter who has....ahem!!...acquired the relevant software in the meantime.
all the best sorting it, and let us know how you go on.

t5 pete
Thursday 25th August 2011, 21:24
ive had spare keys done for my 96 850 t5 i think the place near me does them for £40 a key

Yosser
Thursday 25th August 2011, 21:25
I have had a key cut successfully at Timsons, so it might be worth a try.

That was for my 1997 V70 T5, but they couldn't duplicate the S70R key or the key for my Dad's 1998 S70 - they are dealer only for some reason.

MRG Volvo in Chippenham made a duplicate key for the S70R for £35 last year. They'll need the car there for coding.

pigfight
Thursday 25th August 2011, 21:41
getting the key cut wasnt a problem, programming it to the car however was, hence....volvo only!!! unless someone knows better?

Vikingxl
Thursday 25th August 2011, 21:49
big shrek we get a discount at tms as well mate and they are on your doorstep drop in and see what they can do. key coding isnt limited to volvo but there arent many independents coding them. key cutting can be done anywhere i cut one for my xc90 last week in my garage