PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Shoes Binding

alex1985blue
Wednesday 24th August 2011, 13:49
Hey Chaps,

My handbrake shoes are binding creating some horrible noises when the car is driven.

The car has been not used for the last year and has been left with the handbrake on which leads me to think that the shoes are now seized on.

Can anyone tell me how to get the rear discs of the car?

I have seen a hole in the disc which looks like an access hole to get the disc of, but I am unsure how to get it off.

While the rear discs are off I am thinking about replacing all the rear shoes to save more labour.

Where is the cheapest place to get a set of shoes without compremising on quality?

Cheers

Alex

T5frankie
Wednesday 24th August 2011, 15:38
Inside that hole Is a cog at about the 12 o clock position you need to put a long screwdriver in the hole and push up or down repeatedly until the shoes are loose use a little torch an as for quality replacements why? They are only used for the handbrake

Volvostorm
Wednesday 24th August 2011, 19:56
Not all that dear from Volvo, think I paid £25 for mine

cameron
Thursday 25th August 2011, 00:32
When pulling the disks off to replace the shoes it might be beneficial to give it a good going over with some cleaner and freeing everything off.

Adjust them back up so the shoes are touching the inner edges of the disks and there is some resistance felt then back them off about 1 turn and they should be set perfect.

alex1985blue
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 18:34
Brilliant. Thanks chaps I will give it a go and report back.

Cheers

greenone
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 22:00
Its possible that the braking material has become detached from the backing, quite a common problem. Take the discs off and see what the brake shoe condition is, new ones are not expensive from Volvo.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 30th August 2011, 22:12
Its possible that the braking material has become detached from the backing, quite a common problem. Take the discs off and see what the brake shoe condition is, new ones are not expensive from Volvo.

Thats what happened to mine, they are about £25 from the dealers