PDA

View Full Version : Additional autobox cooler.

Joolz_850R
Tuesday 23rd August 2011, 15:24
Howdy all.

Long time no speak....... I have done something I may end up regretting and have bought a caravan in the hope to save on holidays in term breaks!!!!

Anyway, I guess I need to fit an additional oil cooler for the box and perform a flush.

Does anyone know if the oem part can still be bought or if there is an alternative. I dont know what fittings I need to complete the job.

Does it replace or work with the existing part. Also Im concerned on the filling or more to the point overfilling after the job is done, so Im after any advice / help to complete the job.

Much appreciated

Joolz_850R
Tuesday 23rd August 2011, 16:26
Cheers Sloda.

Just got off the phone with FRF swansea. The kit is not listed for my car now part number 9492870.

They have a kit for MY 99 on part number 9499131 to fit 4 and 5 spd auto. Apparently the brackets are different, which should be ok but they were not sure if the pipe work would be the same?

Any ideas??

Pliskin
Tuesday 23rd August 2011, 18:41
Hi mate,
Wobbly Dave was good enough to fit one on my 96 854 some years ago although I don't know where the parts came from.

I'm sure if he sees this he will comment

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd August 2011, 19:22
Think he used to offer them as a kit, but it was a while back.

AndysR
Tuesday 23rd August 2011, 20:20
Cheers Sloda.

Just got off the phone with FRF swansea. The kit is not listed for my car now part number 9492870.

They have a kit for MY 99 on part number 9499131 to fit 4 and 5 spd auto. Apparently the brackets are different, which should be ok but they were not sure if the pipe work would be the same?

Any ideas??

I'd have thought the pipework would fit, if not it's a simple case of getting a hose company to make something suitable up. I was under the impression the kit that fits was usually listed as a 70 series accessory part anyway?

What was the rough cost of this kit anyway?

Volvostorm
Tuesday 23rd August 2011, 20:23
This is Wobblies thread:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=899

Looks like he is no longer cooling things!

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd August 2011, 20:31
I was quoted about £280 for the kit (fitted) for my s70r, from my local volvo place.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th August 2011, 00:39
I used to buy all the separate parts & a 13 row cooler to fit in the space towards the bottom of the splitter. Volvo's oem kit seemed a better bet & cheaper than mine so I stopped doing it.

I got the pipework from Pirtek which I believe is national & a 13 row 1/2 bsp mocal cooler.

More info here - http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=119567

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th August 2011, 01:23
I have re-read my own instructions - they are still fairly accurate but I cannot find the photos.

You will need to cut or get a spare OEM return pipe. The outbound pipe from the standard cooler - will need to go to the mocal (reswaged onto braided line) using the existing connector. This then connects to the new cooler & then you need to reswage the new pipe returning to the top of the gearbox, using the 12 mm olive you have left over. This is easier than trying to modify the hard line that runs out the bottom of the gearbox.

Coolers are on Demon Tweaks & other places http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1674&g=3332&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Motorsport

http://merlinmotorsport.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3687%20&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ShoppingUK&utm_campaign=ShoppingUK

I recommend trying Salvo to get a spare line before you start hacking up the existing one - at least then you can revert to standard.

Pipes into the new cooler should have 90 degree unions fitted to turn the fluid to the nearside of the engine.

there is usually room to drill mounting holes into the underside of the splitter to mount the cooler- it will come back to me if I was to do it again.

I'd be happy to help you with the flush & the fitting if you buy the parts.

Ed.
Wednesday 24th August 2011, 02:01
My aux oil cooler has replaced the standard one on the side of the radiator. The top and bottom hoses that went into and came out of the standard cooler have been extended to fit to my aux cooler. The reasoning behind this is when the car is hot, the coolant going through the rad will actually bring the temperature of the gearbox oil up and not cool it.

AFAIK, my cooler is for a v/s/c70 but fits fine in front of the rad, behind the bumper and is visible through the gap underneath the front number plate.

To flush the box you need minimum 8 litres iirc which is about £90 worth of oil from volvo. Keep the box topped up with gear oil and undo the sump plug, run the engine and car (in D) and up to 25mph whilst its in the air a couple of times to help the old oil work through the box. When the oil going in is the same colour as the oil coming out, the box flushed.

Ed