PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Drive Shaft

BrightonBreezy
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 08:52
Yes Andy - inner CV joint on the offside - being fixed (as soon as the parts arrive). I am sure it was on its way before hand - but it is foobarred for sure now! Managed to clunk my way home and took it to VT this morning. I am getting the brake fluid done too.

Wobbly,
What exactly was the noise you experienced when the drive shaft / CV joint went? I ask because this last weekend I've started getting a noise from the passenger front corner. It's a rasp with each rotation of the road wheel but goes away if I push in the clutch (so probably not wheel bearing). Oddly, it also goes away when I select 5th gear.
I've seen a few mentions of driveshaft problems. Is it a common issue with these cars? How many £££ will it cost you to get fixed?
thanks,
Robb
(feel free to bump this question to a new thread if you see fit)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 09:35
Mine was exactly the opposite. I had a clunking noise - directly relating to the speed of the wheels. Originally it was quite quiet. By the end of the track day - you could hear it coming from the offside, across the street. It made no noise when under power or braking however, only under freewheeling (engaged clutch/gears or not). Spoke to VT and Hamish is fairly certain it is the O/S inner CV joint, simply because he could hold the inner o/s shaft and move the shaft between the cv boots.
I have a new drive shaft coming - I think (and dont quote me) it is somewhere around £130.

It is hard to say. Could be gearbox, could be CV, could be wheelbearing. Diagnosis by forum is nigh on impossible. Is there play in the wheel on or off the ground? Can you hear it when you rotate the road wheel by hand?

BrightonBreezy
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 10:58
It is hard to say. Could be gearbox, could be CV, could be wheelbearing. Diagnosis by forum is nigh on impossible. Is there play in the wheel on or off the ground? Can you hear it when you rotate the road wheel by hand?

Thanks mate,
I haven't had time to look at it myself yet, maybe this evening. I just thought that maybe your symptoms could have been the same.
My fear is that it's the gearbox, something to do with a drive-side bearing that isn't engaged when in 5th. I'll bet that a 2nd-hand M56 isn't cheap either.
On the other hand, I could probably live with it for a while and just drive everywhere in 5th. :insane:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 11:03
I hate to say it but I think you might be right.