PDA

View Full Version : Air Con Query

yamma1
Monday 8th August 2005, 18:45
Sorry to be a nuisance folks but the tinkeriing/build continues. My aircon is missing the drier and associated pipework. I've hopefully managed to source the bits from Salvo but I'm a bit stuck as to what goes where. My Haynes manual does'nt really cover the aircon bits. I've taken a photo of the offending plumbing (or lack of it!) can anybody shed any lights as to where the missing pipework should connect to?? I've had to chop the pic. The power steering belt is in the top right corner for reference.

cheers

Chris

splatt
Monday 8th August 2005, 19:30
Why was it removed??

yamma1
Monday 8th August 2005, 19:49
Car was front ended last year and has been panelled up with a few "bits missing"! Presumably it was 3rd party insured and whoever had it repaired either wasn't bothered about the aircon or couldn't source the parts at the time. Apart from the drier and pipework, fog lights and a missing washer bottle motor the car is mint so I'd rather get the jobs sorted than just leave it as is.

audimadmike
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 07:48
Hi Chris

The connection you show for a sensor..does it have a thread on the outside or inside? if inside its probably the charging connection.
The pipe to the drier comes from the condenser.
The pipe from the compressor (smallest) goes to the condenser.
The other connection (largest) is the suction/return from the evaporator.
Cars have many strange fittings for air con unlike systems for office and home, so not always easy to identify bits for cars without proper inspection.
If you want further help, no problem, you can also send pics if you wish to mike@refrigerationshop.com if they're difficult to load on the forum.
Mike

audimadmike
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 07:52
Forgot to say, if the ends of the connections are open ie not blanked off with tape, moisture will entre the bits, if the drier is left open for more than a few hours it will need replacing as the moisture absorbent material will have been saturated and no longer be effective.

yamma1
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 11:30
Mike - cheers for the advice - I've spoken to Mark at Salvo and between us we have identified what is missing (he had the benefit of a whole car to look at of course!!). The pipework has been exposed as in the photo for as long as I have had the car and I assume since the accident which was August last year. Will this have had a detrimental effect on the rest of the system such as compressor and evaporator? And if so am I wasting my time putting it back together unless I get prepared for a huge part replacement bill. The drier is being removed from the donor car today and sent up by post. Is it safe to assume that it will be cream crackered by the time it arrives??
cheers

Chris

audimadmike
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 13:11
Mike - cheers for the advice - I've spoken to Mark at Salvo and between us we have identified what is missing (he had the benefit of a whole car to look at of course!!). The pipework has been exposed as in the photo for as long as I have had the car and I assume since the accident which was August last year. Will this have had a detrimental effect on the rest of the system such as compressor and evaporator? And if so am I wasting my time putting it back together unless I get prepared for a huge part replacement bill. The drier is being removed from the donor car today and sent up by post. Is it safe to assume that it will be cream crackered by the time it arrives??
cheers

Chris
Chris,
The drier would be worth changing as its probably u/s.
When you have it regassed the engineer will vacuum pump the system to remove air and hopefully all moisture (water boils in a vacuum) it will then have its oil replaced and gassed. Refrigerant oil is similar to brake fluid...it absorbs moisture. Any moisture left in the system should be removed by the drier.
If you want ac I would have it done, regass £55+, drier/filter £35+.
The car will be worth extra by having it working and more saleable.
Mike