PDA

View Full Version : 850R...... Do i throw in the towel???

Nealevo
Sunday 14th August 2011, 21:17
Hi all, i'm sorry but its rant time,

My 850R auto is having a bit of a troubled time, I had some smoke when i was sat at idle normally at traffic lights which came a bit embarrassing as people behind couldn't see, diagnosis was turbo seals, so i dug deep and had a new 16t turbo fitted, and it was superb well for the 10 miles it lasted.
I had been noticing that the car was sounding like a kettle when i'd parked it up, diagnosis was expansion cap not holding pressure, cheap fix i thought.....O NO NO NO after many many hours and solutions, the plugs were taken out and a camera shoved in, which was not good, the piston bores were full of water, so it was head gasket, NO NO NO, what happened was i'd detonated my engine and it ws slowly killing itself when the fun pedal was pressed. new second hand engine was sourced, cam belt fitted all my good bits are being transfered and hopefully it will be sorted but i am losing faith after £1600 spent so far, (just dont tell my wife).

Thanks to HLM for stopping me burning it......at the minute lol

Rant over enoy your evening

Tomcat
Sunday 14th August 2011, 21:50
Oh no, sounds like the story of my car (Without the replacement engine....YET), keep at it, once it's all sorted you'll be in love again.

antz
Sunday 14th August 2011, 21:56
keep going! Now youve spent all this money you may as well keep it and enjoy the car!

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 14th August 2011, 21:57
I would never give up.

Volvostorm
Sunday 14th August 2011, 22:02
You don't what to know how much mine has cost me, I haven't even driven it yet!

AndysR
Sunday 14th August 2011, 22:35
Keep it, sounds like your on the verge of fixing it, might as well get the moneys worth out of it.

siamblue
Sunday 14th August 2011, 22:49
That's the thing with these cars, mine hasn't missed a beat in 2yrs, but when the go wrong they can go.seriously wrong, been there done that, 1600 is a lot of.money on one of these cars, thing is you.have to.weigh up what you will get for her moneywise and what would you replace her with?

Gary

mitchyboy01
Sunday 14th August 2011, 22:50
How did you detonate your engine exactly? Poor mapping or too much boost cracked a liner or something? Sorry to hear it. I know your pain.

Ade
Sunday 14th August 2011, 22:50
Yuck! Know the feeling.... mine's eaten £800 on seemingly trivial things in the past two weeks.

merc85
Sunday 14th August 2011, 23:04
Keep with it buddy, And stop keeping count of the stuff youv'e done lol its way to late now enjoy!!

martybelfastt5
Sunday 14th August 2011, 23:18
stay positive,,,,to have it at its best you must spend..the list for mine is that long i dont know where to start. but when its done i will have an endless smile

si850r
Monday 15th August 2011, 21:02
throw in the towel and give it all to me mate......... :-)

Quicksilver
Monday 15th August 2011, 21:56
I'm thinking of buying a another one to keep for spares!!!!

I see so many on E-Bay being broken it seems such a shame. I'll keep mine going as long as I can.

t5 stealth
Monday 15th August 2011, 22:06
either you love it or you dont,
dont matter if its a volvo or a fiat,
if you love it then you will fix or repair etc,
if not then sell/scrap whatever takes your fancy.......
what ever car you get will cost you money,
if you modd it then your asking more from it than it was designed to do so expect a shorter life span or atleast a little more cost,
if you get another one then the cost will be reduced as youll have lots of parts,
yeah a shame to scrap any car...unless its french,british,cheqoslavakian,italian,
and merc lol

Nealevo
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 08:40
NO idea about cause of problem, but it will be sorted, i'll get it set up properly this time, as its LPG so have been told it might have been running lean......

hamish
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 10:24
NO idea about cause of problem, but it will be sorted, i'll get it set up properly this time, as its LPG so have been told it might have been running lean......

Neil,

It was old age that caused the head gasket to fail. More precisely the old thermostat stopping shut. Sadly these old girls have been high maintenance for a while now.
LPG isn't my favourite fuel for cars but it would not have been running lean.
It should all be back together before Friday.

Regards,
Hamish.

smithy
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 12:52
i saw this car at hlm when i was down there nice looking car and good nick too i would keep it and keep her going mate

si850r
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 20:12
i still say mate give it all to me...

thats whats friends are for..:remybussi