PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket failure!

Matt-850-T5
Thursday 11th August 2011, 17:32
Well.. I went to santa pod this weekend gone all was well,checked all the fluids everything fine. Checked the fluids before i left and again everything was fine. Yesterday afternoon i gave it a quick checkover after coming back and there is oil in the exspansion tank!!
I phoned my freind and explained the situation.he said because the turbo seals are shot this could be the cause. We ran a compression test on it and it was down on cylinder 4 only a little bit but nothing major. It hasnt overheated nor the exspansion tank boiled over until this morning on the way to work.

Could the 4 bits below have anything to do with it or is it defiantly headgasket?!

Temp gauge is reading normal
No cream in the filler cap
pot 4 slightly down on compression but not major.
Turbo seals are shot,PCB hose split
Breather to fresh air hose split

Suggestions people :(

cherry1809
Thursday 11th August 2011, 18:17
Could be the radiator. The oil cooler is built into it and it can split between the two :)

t5 stealth
Thursday 11th August 2011, 18:23
Could be the radiator. The oil cooler is built into it and it can split between the two :)

that would be my guess too,

The Flying Moose
Thursday 11th August 2011, 18:25
Yep I would go with cherry on the oil cooler/rad option. Seen it before.

Smithness had this problem on his car.

Matt-850-T5
Thursday 11th August 2011, 18:25
Funny you mention that as its been wet with oil underneath for a few weeks now!! Whats the chances of it being the cooler.. hmm!
How easy is it to dianose this?

Matt-850-T5
Thursday 11th August 2011, 18:27
But on the other hand why would the exspansion tank be bubbling over and spilling?
Temp gauge stays the same

t5 stealth
Thursday 11th August 2011, 20:03
But on the other hand why would the exspansion tank be bubbling over and spilling?
Temp gauge stays the same

thermostat failiure

Matt-850-T5
Friday 12th August 2011, 23:09
Worth changing the thermostat too then