PDA

View Full Version : remaps and running pump petrol

antz
Saturday 6th August 2011, 22:11
Guys I need your brains again.

When I get the T5 lump into my 245 Im going to get it remapped by the likes of Rica, or if the ECU Im getting from Smithness works Ill run whatever map is on that.

Now....obviously with a remap to get the best from the car theyr ecommend V Power or the equvilent BUT would I have any trouble running a remapped car on general Shell unleaded.

I know there would be a slight BHP drop but my wallet would thank me for it. Would there be any other complications though?

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th August 2011, 22:17
It really depends on which map you go for. You can get maps deisnged to run on both 95 or 99.

With the Rica maps there are two one designed for 95 and one 99, the Rica 280 will run 95 and the 304 99. Dont get me wrong both will run with 95 however with many maps deisnged to run on 99 they will "knock" when you drive aggressively.

Al115
Saturday 6th August 2011, 22:17
Upped boost and 95 RON is generally a no-no for our cars.

antz
Saturday 6th August 2011, 22:34
I blame Shell for robbing me in broad daylight everytime I fill up! At least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed you.

Looks like Ill have to suck up for V power then since Im planning on running more boost and a remap.

t5_monkey
Saturday 6th August 2011, 22:51
Tuned car... 99ron .... simples

antz
Saturday 6th August 2011, 23:09
Tuned car... 99ron .... simples

tuned car... 99ron .... empty wallet. :rice:

nobananas
Saturday 6th August 2011, 23:25
Interesting thread this as I have just started experimenting running the missus' T5 on regular unleaded (Rica 304). She does 70+ miles a day Monday to Friday then usually another 50-100 at weekends and the fuel costs are starting to get crippling (a diesel replacement in on the cards sadly .) As a last resort she's been putting 'regular' unleaded in over the last two weeks. I drove the T5 to London today to pick up some worktops from Ikea (what other car can you get two 2.5 meter lengths of solid Birch worktop and a flat packed garden bench AND still have room for the missus to sit comfortably in the back !) and it behaved pretty much as it does on 99 RON. The only slightly worrying thing was a slight misfire when accelerating hard in 5th from 50mph+ as it hits max boost. I have felt this misfire before but only when the motor has been fully laden (holiday !) and booting it in 5th but I seemed to solve it when I changed the fuel pump a few months ago so whether this is the result of a previous problem or the 95 RON fuel I'm not certain (I don't drive the motor that often). In conclusion I'm going to keep running it on 95 RON for the missus' daily commute because she barely ever gets above 50mph and drives it a lot gentler then I do and the saving for a tankful per week is worth it (it also seems a bit more economical on 95 RON, I'm seeing 30mpg rather then 28 !) but when it comes to anything long distance when it's likely to get driven harder then it will be back on 99 RON.

p fandango
Sunday 7th August 2011, 07:05
even running a standard ecu & a MBC there was a difference between the fuels. I use BP but when i used the normal unleaded it hit boost cut at a lower psi than when i used Ultimate

Yorkshiresxi
Sunday 7th August 2011, 07:13
Got to say, since putting Shells expensive petrol in, my car seams to be behaving and not cutting out now, and i have even turned the boost control up another click or two.
Thanks for all your help chaps...o and the mpg is going up!! 18 now

gmain1967
Sunday 7th August 2011, 14:16
The T4 only ever sees V Power these days - too many threads on various forums about folks having running issues on 95RON, branded or supermarket.

Equally, if you use say a 70 litre tank of fuel a week and that V Power is around 10p a litre more than standard unleaded, that's an extra £7. Have two less pints of beer over a weekend, and that's it almost clawed back.... Or make sandwiches at home and take them to work rather than a trip to a sandwich place or butty van!

nobananas
Sunday 7th August 2011, 16:15
The T4 only ever sees V Power these days - too many threads on various forums about folks having running issues on 95RON, branded or supermarket.

Equally, if you use say a 70 litre tank of fuel a week and that V Power is around 10p a litre more than standard unleaded, that's an extra £7. Have two less pints of beer over a weekend, and that's it almost clawed back.... Or make sandwiches at home and take them to work rather than a trip to a sandwich place or butty van!

If only it were that simple lol ! Nether the missus or I drink, go out or do anything considered 'interesting', sadly like many others we bought the T5 long ago before petrol was worth more than gold and are trying to hang on to it with epidermis of the dentures !

cherry1809
Sunday 7th August 2011, 16:40
Haven't had any probs with Tesco 99 Momentum, And it's about 5p a litre cheaper than V Power round these parts. If I don't plan on hoofing it round on a long journey I'll fill up with "Normal" fuel.
Get Clubcard points with Tesco as well. ;)

antz
Sunday 7th August 2011, 16:56
I use Shell because BP are robbing buggers, Tesco is 30mins in the wrong direction and Shells the only station on my way to work.

Also I dont drink, smoke and i do take my own sandwiches to work so thats £7 out of my own pocket =p ha ha ha

nobananas
Sunday 7th August 2011, 17:03
Haven't had any probs with Tesco 99 Momentum, And it's about 5p a litre cheaper than V Power round these parts. If I don't plan on hoofing it round on a long journey I'll fill up with "Normal" fuel.
Get Clubcard points with Tesco as well. ;)

Tesco or Sainsburys super is what I have been using also without issue (there isn't a BP or Shell garage anywhere near me).....

....oh I actually bake my own bread for both the wifes and my sandwiches !

cherry1809
Sunday 7th August 2011, 17:46
I actually bake my own bread for both the wifes

Sheik nobananas. Lol.

Wouldn't use BP Super as it's still only 97* rated and the same price as V Power.

nobananas
Sunday 7th August 2011, 19:46
Sheik nobananas. Lol.

Lol !, think my punctuation took a nap on that post !

woz
Monday 8th August 2011, 00:03
i was arrested for not using full stops last week.

I have been told I can expect a very long sentence.

W