PDA

View Full Version : LPG for an 850? Can I have it done and where's best?

Sean575
Saturday 6th August 2011, 19:45
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if an LPG conversion for my 850 T5-R estate is a possibility? I herad somewhere it is tricky for the 850 but don't know if that's balls.

Can anyone tell me if they know the most reputable place/s to have it done properly and what it might cost? It would have to be in the spare wheel well as I need the space in the car no matter what for my work. I wouldn't mind having better economy especially on the long runs to to my in laws every now and then.

Cheers!

Tomcat
Saturday 6th August 2011, 19:51
It's dooable, apparently you need to get a multipoint system though as a single point will make it run like crap, fraid I can't recommend anywhere to get it done though, it's not cheap though you'll be looking at about £1500.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 6th August 2011, 20:21
I hear so much contradictory stuff about LPG - that it isn't a good solution if you only do short commutes as the LPG only kicks in when the car is warmed up, and that the dry fuel knackers valves, the MPG is pants, you have to get the LPG serviced, you can't use the Channel Tunnel etc etc. and that the apparent economies on paper are not what you get in practice. These are not my opinions, just those that I have been given by mechanic friends. I am as in the dark as you are!

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th August 2011, 22:25
I hear so much contradictory stuff about LPG - that it isn't a good solution if you only do short commutes as the LPG only kicks in when the car is warmed up, and that the dry fuel knackers valves, the MPG is pants, you have to get the LPG serviced, you can't use the Channel Tunnel etc etc. and that the apparent economies on paper are not what you get in practice. These are not my opinions, just those that I have been given by mechanic friends. I am as in the dark as you are!

Cant use the Channel Tunnel with LPG? Is that really so?

Every day is a school day, thats what they say.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 6th August 2011, 22:30
Cant use the Channel Tunnel with LPG? Is that really so?

Every day is a school day, thats what they say.

Apparently so... I suppose it is a fire hazard (along the lines of mobile phones in petrol stations - ho ho ho) - although quite why fifteen gallons of unleaded (x about 500 cars) is seen as OK and a tank of LPG is not seems to defy logic.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 6th August 2011, 23:02
FYI from the EuroTunnel website:

LPG or equivalent flammable gas and dual powered vehicles (i.e. vehicles fitted with an LPG or equivalent tank as an alternative fuel) cannot be accepted for transport by Eurotunnel Le Shuttle, even though:

•the LPG or equivalent tank is empty,
•the LPG or equivalent mode of the vehicle is not selected.
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/site-information/lpg/

nobananas
Saturday 6th August 2011, 23:08
There are a few places around that will sell you all the kit to do the install yourself (look on ebay). You then take the vehicle to them to be inspected and have the software set up and tuned for your specific vehicle. Never used any of them but have considered it for doing an LPG conversion on a nice R (if I ever find one !). Incidentally LPG is quite well suited to turbo vehicles and if properly set up can be made to produce at least equal the performance of petrol and often slightly better (from what I have read on the subject at least !)

p fandango
Saturday 6th August 2011, 23:10
just get a D5 & keep the 850 for the weekends :wink:

5seaterT5x2
Saturday 6th August 2011, 23:20
you certainly can had my t5 done about 3 years ago had it done in river road barking top people there are most certainly a lot of cowboys out there i had some very bad experiences. not much good to you in sheffield i guess but if you want the number let me know will cost you about 1500

Volvostorm
Sunday 7th August 2011, 22:51
Same here, mine use to run on LPG, and will do again once the new build is run in, the cost, was £1500 :)

Some of the rumours are true about LPG, it also depends on the engine, some love it, other hate it and run poorly.

Nealevo
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 14:04
I have an 850R running LPG and it is brilliant, spare wheel tank 60 ish litre, economy sucks at 19mpg around town 26mpg on a run, but its only 65p a litre so i can live with that, price equivilent of 65MPG compared to petrol, power suffers by 6% ish but if you want to have a bit of run just press the button back to petrol to leave the Tyre R kids behind, when your back to cruising or in town stick it on LPG, it costs about £1500 for the multipoint system and i've had no probs so far after 25k, apart from the yearly servicing at £25 for a new filter

You could get it done cheaper from some places but i researched for ages and found that the cheaper ones are not as good,

If you want any more information or a chat about it get intouch and ill steer you in the right direction