PDA

View Full Version : Removing wheel locking bolt

gfurm
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 20:17
Hello
I've searched through the forum and found 3 solutions to this.

Replacement key from McGard - had one and broke it, no point trying again.

Hammer a socket on it and try undoing - will it work with McGard collared bolts?

Drill it out. Question about this one, what kind of drill bit do I need, do I go fast or slow and if I drill the head off will I be able to remove the part which stays in the hub?

I've got 2 to remove. I think the guy who invented them should be made to do it every time it happens. What an idiot.

Help please.

Greg

volvo340sleeper
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 20:25
your lucky mate i got four to do lol, i tried a laser remover from halfords. didnt work, so got a 19" socket hammered it on and bingo came off, just got to buy 3more now as it knacks the socket

gfurm
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 20:47
But whre they the one with spinning collar on the outside? My local garage said if it got collar it can't be done this way.

Greg

v70torslanda
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:58
Get it tight enough and you can shift anything.

Try loosening the other four and then driving around half a mile or so before jacking the wheel up again and hammering the socket on. That's loose but not baggy and gently driven not a clutch dropping banzai run . . .

And don't blame me if it all goes tits up! It was only a suggestion.

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 23:04
Hello
I've searched through the forum and found 3 solutions to this.

Replacement key from McGard - had one and broke it, no point trying again.

Hammer a socket on it and try undoing - will it work with McGard collared bolts?

Drill it out. Question about this one, what kind of drill bit do I need, do I go fast or slow and if I drill the head off will I be able to remove the part which stays in the hub?

I've got 2 to remove. I think the guy who invented them should be made to do it every time it happens. What an idiot.

Help please.

Greg

hi mate send me a pic of the bolt...think i might have a tool that you wind on tight and off it comes work on mine mate...can post 2 you if any good..:wink:

gfurm
Thursday 4th August 2011, 14:34
It's one of those. This collar around it spins freele and there's about 2mm between it and top of the bolt. Will hammering socket on that work? I'd rather try all options before drilling or welding a nut onto that bolt.

Anyone around Manchester with a welder machine who could help when it comes to that?

Greg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/gfurm_2006/_IGP8295.jpg

volvo340sleeper
Thursday 4th August 2011, 15:39
mine was like that and used a 19" socket for the 1st one took a while but came off, then used a remover socket hammered that on and got all the others off

gmain1967
Thursday 4th August 2011, 21:24
It's one of those. This collar around it spins freele and there's about 2mm between it and top of the bolt. Will hammering socket on that work? I'd rather try all options before drilling or welding a nut onto that bolt.

Anyone around Manchester with a welder machine who could help when it comes to that?

Greg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/gfurm_2006/_IGP8295.jpg

You'll stand more chance if you chisel the rotating collar off first, then bang a 19mm impact socket over it. I had same with a T4, albeit with nuts as opposed to studs, but it's same thing!

TheT6Kid
Friday 5th August 2011, 07:20
I had same OEM locking wheel bolt and same issue, see below
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36326

Flatout Phil
Friday 5th August 2011, 08:32
Pedro used an angle grinder to cut his wheel off... :(

mzafeer76
Friday 5th August 2011, 10:33
Hi Mate,i had the same locking nuts on my c70 and they had to be forced off..the volvo dealers tried to pull a fast one on me by saying drilling it the cost was crazy n that they would probs damage my rim,so got 2 off with a socket hammered over it make sure the socket is real tite at the locking nut is round and use an extension an the wrench to get more leverage,but the other 2 bolts a guy from a local tyre place used a little sharp chisel n hammer on them so the socket would grip them tight.

They will come off this way eventually.

hope this helps.

gfurm
Friday 5th August 2011, 15:21
Thanks for advice. I just got myslef a breaker bar and a socket and I'll try this first before drilling. Is it possible to chisel off that collar around it? or is it too hard to even try?

Greg

Vikingxl
Friday 5th August 2011, 15:25
Only one way to find out!

gmain1967
Saturday 6th August 2011, 13:10
Thanks for advice. I just got myslef a breaker bar and a socket and I'll try this first before drilling. Is it possible to chisel off that collar around it? or is it too hard to even try?

Greg

See my post#8. You stand a far better chance of success if you chisel the collar off first. If you don't, the socket wants to try and grip on that, which spins.... Break them, get an impact socket (normal one will just split or shatter), the breaker bar which you have, and your in business.

Best of luck!

gfurm
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 12:20
Result! Both offenders are off.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/gfurm_2006/_IGP8301.jpg

Went to a garage so they could try first. Welding nut on them didn't work, don't even bother, weld just comes off under pressure. They gave up as I didn't wish to leave it there for a day. I didn't pay a penny for them trying.

So my method: two bolts removed in 40 minutes. What you need is: thin chisel or metal screwdriver (I used one with interchangable bits without the handle), hammer, 23mm socket and breaker bar.
First chisel off the spinning collar with hammer and screwdriver (it's hardened but brittle, easy to shatter). Break it in 3 or 4 places to make small bits, then they should come out easily.If not hammer at them for a bit longer. When you have all the bits of collar out hammer 23mm socket on the bolt and undo with breaker bar. Job done.

Total cost if you have all tools = nothing.

Only downside: if you care about your alloys you won't be happy as chiseling damages the wheel bolt sockets. But I don't care, I have them £££££££s off now so I can get to my brakes and replace the pads.

Greg