PDA

View Full Version : strange cutting out issue

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 20:14
Hey up chaps!
Strange one for you...
Since fitting the MBC the car drives AMAZING..loads of boost, loads of torque.
Also since fitting the T5R ECU - which was ment to be remapped but i am not convinced -
But anyway..so not got the boost gauge yet (on its way) but i am still in white just...So the problem...whist hammering it...in sports mode, the car goes like the wind - but pulling 11 ish to the gallon, so drive in Eco mode i hear you say, well thats were the problem starts, and drive gently and its ok..but try and give it some beans and over take someone in ECO or just get a move on it cuts out , not harshly , it just kinda splutters, for like a second. I have changed plugs, leads, cap, rotor, serviced it...theres a few vac pipes want doing but like i said..floor it in sports and your flying with no issues.
Any ideas????
I get some cheap ish fuel do you think maybe that might be the issue or the coil as havnt replaced that...cant see it been the fuel pump as under demand shes fine...O and it did this before i fitted the ECU...but on the plus note my eml has done off!lol

AndysR
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 20:33
Interesting, so the fault only occurs in Economy mode? In theory the only thing that changes when you press the button between Sports and Economy mode is the gearbox behaviour. Perhaps what your detecting is as a result of the box not dropping down and labouring the engine more when in economy mode. Cheap 95 ron fuel won't give you the best bang for your buck and if your going to chip it and run more boost your far better off running a 97 plus ron fuel as this is what the map will be configured to run. You mention the vac pipes need doing? I would get those done as soon as you can even if they aren't probably causing the fault it's probably best. Fault wise chances are it's boost cutting where the engine is loading up more in Economy mode try turning the mbc down a bit and retry it.

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:06
I thought the boost cut though was harsh and could chuck you forward in a fashion...yeah its ment to be been remapped to 280bhp.
Oddist thing is..stop..click sports mode, slam the pedal down and dont take it off the floor until shes going mack speed and it wont do it...trundle and she will..not every time..but most of the time
I will turn the insane controller down a couple of clicks but it just does not feel much like a boost cut out...
hmmmm

Jamest5r
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:25
Just a thought, maybe your getting too much fuel pushed in at lower revs and it cant burn it quick enough, in sports the revs rise quicker and can handle the fuel put in??.
I would also check what map is exactly on that ecu if you can, running different maps on different cars dont always work properly.

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:33
hmm theres a good point about the fuel, as for ECU , i have asked the chap for more details on his old car as i spoke to Andrew and MIJ performance, which may i say sounded like a good chap who knew his stuff but said with out the info he couldnt trace it just by the numbers on the ECU on its own...so will find out tomorrow i hope.
I am going to try 97 ron tomorrow i reckon.
ta

pigfight
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:47
just from personal experience.
with the car ticking over, remove the ecu box lid and just softly tap/waggle the ecu. my car was cutting out, and after checking/changing all the usual culprits, it turned out to be a dry solder joint in my (remapped) ecu.
good luck with sorting it, hope its a simple fix.

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:54
Will have a look tomorrow, thanks

crezzy2k1
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 23:15
Sounds very strange, but you may well be running too much boost for the transmission to handle in eco mode. I would certainly get a map for your car or down the the MBC down a tad and leave it in sports mode apparently you get extra mpg!

Niles
Thursday 4th August 2011, 10:45
Im a bit tired but here go's.......
the auto box will deliver a little more boost earlier in economy mode, its designed to get to to cruising speed quicker.
In sports, the early boost is reduced a little and gives more at the top end, the sports mode hangs on to the gears longer.
If your ecu isn't mapped then with the mbc it will hit 'fuel cut' @14 psi. If your car is mapped its very possible its mapped to run on premium fuel (98 ron or over). If its mapped you MUST use premium fuel, or, it'll splutter.
Or.....dont drive it in economy!! lol.

Yorkshiresxi
Thursday 4th August 2011, 10:59
hmm dont drive in eco i reckon then..well once its empty i will run it on 97 ron...strange this morning it did it and i lamped it and it pulled stright through to the red line and didnt splutter again...
guess my car just wants to be driven hard all the time..
Thanks