PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Rivets ?

cameron
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 19:24
Right i'm after changing the wing on my 850.

So ive been told i have to drill out plastic rivets ?

Would these be a good replacement ?.........

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/PlasticRivets.jpg

Or is there a " Proper " set i need to buy ?

Cheers Guys

Lee

james
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 19:32
hi lee the origional fixings are black rivets.i've used black nuts and bolts on mine.

i dont think the fixing in the pic would be suitable for the wheel liner/s , my mr2 has them to secure the thin plastic shroud around the spare wheel compartment

hope this helps :)

nobananas
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 20:02
If they're the ones holding the bumper to the arch liners I used spire nuts (or speed nuts as some people call them) clipped to the bumper holes then hid the heads of the self tappers inside those black plastic number plate screw covers, looks pretty much the same as the rivets.

james
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 20:07
speed nuts are ok but if theyre too tight and sharp it scrapes the paint off when sliding on and later down the line the dreaded rust creeps in :(

Tomcat
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:36
Best just get the proper ones from Volvo, they're only pennies..

p fandango
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:42
or just bin the lining lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:53
That's all well and good but what stop's the back of yer bumper flopping around without them? (I ask as mine are knackered anyway after running 18's)

p fandango
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:57
That's all well and good but what stop's the back of yer bumper flopping around without them? (I ask as mine are knackered anyway after running 18's)
the corners of the bumper (the top unpainted section) secures to the edge of the wing as well as the front so it won't sag or fall off. It does collect the mud behind there well without them so have to make sure its clear regularly

Tomcat
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:09
the corners of the bumper (the top unpainted section) secures to the edge of the wing as well as the front so it won't sag or fall off. It does collect the mud behind there well without them so have to make sure its clear regularly

Yar I knew that but you'd have to put something down the back edge of the bumper to keep the coloured part fastened to the upper part.

p fandango
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:16
Yar I knew that but you'd have to put something down the back edge of the bumper to keep the coloured part fastened to the upper part.
a self tapping screw on the inner lip, thru the coloured skirt into the upper part will do it. I've screwed mine thru the front, you can just see the screw in the top left of the bumper corner

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Latest/DSCF0011.jpg

siamblue
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:17

Last time I bought them they were 1.50 each. Just use normal ally rivets. Paint the heads Black.

woz
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:17

Agreed - dead easy to get at the stealer or via rufe. I got quite a few cos I forgot where I put the first lot and bought some more when fitting the R bumper. If you get stuck, PM me and I will dig some out for you.
I drove around with white cable ties holding it all together for a while. Worked OK. Looked ****e tho!
LOL
W:>)

james
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:20
the problem with the rivets is its tricky not snapping the drill bit when you need to take it off again without taking the wheel off,god bless ring spanner ratchets :)

nobananas
Thursday 4th August 2011, 19:52
speed nuts are ok but if theyre too tight and sharp it scrapes the paint off when sliding on and later down the line the dreaded rust creeps in :(

I did only use them on the bumper which is plastic lol !

nobananas
Thursday 4th August 2011, 19:59

I did only use them on the bumper which is plastic lol !

james
Thursday 4th August 2011, 20:03
well done matey ! i dont like using self tappers in anything it takes me back to the dreaded mini days ;)