PDA

View Full Version : V70 T5 handling problems

judgie
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 08:48
My 2003 T5 steering seems to be all over the road & very light. I have replaced the wishbones & still feels the same, steering rack seems to be fine but on roundabouts can sometimes give all I can describe as a slight kick. Any advice on the faults & quirks of V70 steering would be greatly appreciated.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 11:56
get your alignment checked and droplinks I think ?

Murphy
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 12:14
As above, plus you should check top mounts. If you have been scrubbing your tyres, once properly aligned it could still feel odd. With fresh tyres [not essential] it will be back to where it needs to be though :)

woz
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 22:28
Agreeed - get tracking checked but while off the ground get all susp joints at front checked for play inc rack mounting brackests and subframes.
If you have had tracking issues or needed replacement arms as you say presume the bushes or b/j's where knacked - you will prob have worn the tyres unevenly and that will show up as a problem.
Easy check is put the rears on the front and see if it changes the problem, then you'll know and could just get them all truned round or replaced if nec.

Good luck - I know it can be frustrating but a methodical approach will most likely find a simple cure.

Niles
Thursday 4th August 2011, 10:37
I agree with the others. If I were you I'd go and buy 2 new drop links & 2 new rubber top mounts. 99% chance both those items are very worn or beyond their best. If you go you euro car parts both a pair of drop links and a pair of rubber top mounts shouldn't cost much more than £65 the lot. Totally worth the money.

judgie
Thursday 4th August 2011, 15:10
Thanks for the advice, have had tracking done and tyres are worn on outer edges so will try swapping front to back. Will try replacing drop links & top mounts as having done 127000 miles I agree they are probably past their best.
Can the anti roll bar bushes be replace as volvo say they are part of the bar & don't come seperate ???

woz
Friday 5th August 2011, 00:02
suggest you do the cheap things first.
ARB bushes can be replaced, but I took a set into the garage and he tried then gave me them back said it cant be done. Dont entirely believe this so planning to have a go myself as its all in the Haynes book - involved but straightforward.

Based on experience with other carss, its worth doing if you are pulling all those bits in the nether regions apart anyway. But wont make much differnce to handling until they start knocking.

Keep us posted. My moneys on the tyres!

W:>)

Dont forget different models have different thickness ARB's

judgie
Friday 5th August 2011, 19:02
If I ever get a day off I will have a look at it & start by swapping tyres round. Hopefully that will solve it, if not it will be a process of elimination. Wish me luck