PDA

View Full Version : problem changing tyre

volvo340sleeper
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 18:38
im having a problem getting tyre off as the attachment for the lockable nuts wont go on the nut, it used too but now wont, were all the lockable nuts the same with volvo's, as dont know what to do as got flat and cant get it off

james
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 18:49
sounds harsh mate , do you carry a can of tyre foam? you could use that to inflate the tyre to get you out of trouble till you cure the real problem which am afraid could mean a lot of drilling the old bolts out etc or using stud extractors

volvo340sleeper
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 18:51
theres only one bolt which cant get off, will go buy tyre foam 2row, guess they all different and wont be able to find one the same as bloke down road has got v70 with same alloys

Jamest5r
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 18:53
What sort of locking nut is it?? some you will get away with smacking a 19mm socket over the top :)

volvo340sleeper
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 19:04
its a round one

smithson007
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 19:19
I had the same problem. Took it to the Local volvo dealer and one of the lads managed to get them off using a heavy duty impact gun.
It destroyed the lockers but was way better than having to start doing it the other ways.

volvo340sleeper
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 19:27
how much did it cost

volvo340sleeper
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 19:35
is there anyone local to me who would be able to see if theres fit,

Jamest5r
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 19:53
Can you post a pic up of the locking nut? many people on here have been through the same problem but there are so many types, some easy to get off and some not so.

smithson007
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 20:07
how much did it cost

I managed to get it done for nothing but its just because i knew one of the lads in the parts dept. Any garage that uses air tools will usually have an impact driver so you could prob get it done cheap enough.
Just carefull they dont damage your wheels while doing it.

volvo340sleeper
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 20:10
just looked on halford and they do a laser remover anyone used them before

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 20:27
just looked on halford and they do a laser remover anyone used them before
i tried them on mine but wouldn't move it, surprisingly i had to resort to Mr Angle Grinder

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/Bonny/DSCF0001.jpg

JT
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 20:42
any excuse eh pedro!!! lol

i have a my old set of lockers off my 850, if they are any use once you get your stubborn one off of course???

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 20:55
any excuse eh pedro!!! lol
i had to do that to 3 out of the 4, the 4th for some weird reason hadn't got a locking wheel on it. Luckily BT donated her 18's, which look better on Bonny anyway

volvo340sleeper
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 21:01
will the 850 fit the s70 then? if so how much

t5 pete
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 21:03
just bray a socket onto them/it i had to do it on a car this morning 18mm socket a good smack with the hammer and bobs ur unlcle

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 21:06
will the 850 fit the s70 then? if so how much
not sure if you mean the wheels or Johnny's locking wheel nuts. But all the wheels fit each other, i swop wheels between my S60 & 850. You do have to watch brake clearance's if your using 16's or smaller. As for the wheel nuts, yes his 850 one's will fit your S70

volvo340sleeper
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 08:27
here is the locker

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 10:57
Not a lot of Volvo dealers will admit this.... however. They all should have a set of master lock nuts.

I took my car to John Darke in Lincoln and the technician brought out a case with every locknut Volvo produced.

They all have them as many owners dont leave them in the car when they go in for servicing.

Give your local dealers a call, they should be able to help.

volvo340sleeper
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 11:25
just went and bought a laser remover for them as cant really drive car as the tyre i need to take off is illegal and flat

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 12:10
Go to any good tyre shop ., they have a removal tool, it cuts the nut and grabs it and will undo it

volvo340sleeper
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 19:30
well the remover didnt work, but hammer and 19" socket and anger got one off, going to try others 2row as was getting hacky looks with all the noise, and thanks to JT who offered his locking nuts wheels will be sorted. never realised how expensive they are

Jamest5r
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:32
well the remover didnt work, but hammer and 19" socket and anger got one off, going to try others 2row as was getting hacky looks with all the noise, and thanks to JT who offered his locking nuts wheels will be sorted. never realised how expensive they are

Sorry to quote myself but..............:)

What sort of locking nut is it?? some you will get away with smacking a 19mm socket over the top :)

volvo340sleeper
Wednesday 3rd August 2011, 21:47
thats why i tried it if you hadnt said id still be scratching my head, got all them off now as mechanic over road had a removale nut and hammered it on and all worked, bloody things