PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Fitment

mitchyboy01
Monday 1st August 2011, 20:16
Hi all,

I have been researching into Garrett turbo's with a view to fitting one to my T5. An option for me is a Cosworth T34 as these are quite cheap to pick up nowadays and good for big power. I know these have a T3 flange but are they too big to fit ie foul the bulkhead. I will be using a standard manifold for now. I know I will need custom downpipe etc etc. Just trying to see what's involved. It would be nice to have the scope for big boost/power even if I do it over time, getting supporting mods as funds allow.

Thanks guys.

leet5r
Monday 1st August 2011, 20:21
you would need to machine the lip off the manifold , and probs get custom water and oil feeds /returns made up

mitchyboy01
Monday 1st August 2011, 21:16
Thanks lee. So there wouldnt be a problem with it fouling the bulkhead?

Volvostorm
Monday 1st August 2011, 21:23
I have a G3071R, and that fits ok, dunno what it compares to in size.

Another thing, alot of cosworth turbo's are air-cooled, they won't last to long without airflow.

Jamest5r
Monday 1st August 2011, 21:58
Hi all,

I have been researching into Garrett turbo's with a view to fitting one to my T5. An option for me is a Cosworth T34 as these are quite cheap to pick up nowadays and good for big power. I know these have a T3 flange but are they too big to fit ie foul the bulkhead. I will be using a standard manifold for now. I know I will need custom downpipe etc etc. Just trying to see what's involved. It would be nice to have the scope for big boost/power even if I do it over time, getting supporting mods as funds allow.

Thanks guys.

Ive got a T35 hybrid designed by turbo technics to fit a v70 by Smithy origionally, im now putting it on my t5r :) rated at 2.0bar constant with minimal lag due to the pulsar exhaust housing.

mitchyboy01
Monday 1st August 2011, 22:35
I'm not sure but I think it's smaller than the GT3071r. Rated to approx 400bhp on a cossie. 2 bar constant sounds like fun to me!! Should have my rods this month so time to save pennies for a turbo!

Volvostorm
Monday 1st August 2011, 23:05
Mine can run above 2bar, and is good for 450+bhp, I will have pictures soon, then you can see how much room is there.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 00:35
Thanks Paul very interested to see. I searched everywhere on the net and it seems not that many people have used this turbo. Id have thought it would be a lot more common.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 00:40
Just googled it and T34's are oil and water cooled.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 19:39
Just googled it and T34's are oil and water cooled.

That's handy then

This might help you with the sizng:

http://www.theboombopshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GARRETT-GT3071R&Show=TechSpecs