PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Report

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th August 2005, 23:52
I am no longer a track day virgin. Funny thing was I was watching a repeat of TG on the telly the night before and they were doing a report on the track day phenomenon.
Up to the point when I arrived I still wasnt sure it was such a good idea. My mind was spinning with the endless crash/flatbed/towed home scenarios. Thankfully none of this came to pass.

Being a typical bloke I didn't sign up online before hand and just expected to be able to sign on the day.
I got to the track for about twenty past nine (with Judge behind me) and was admiring the pair of Lightening Fighter jets standing towards the near end of the field. -> http://www.photo-restorations.co.uk/lightnings/ltngwebalbum/images/AlbumImgXS904July95BigThunderairshowonapronrearvie w.jpg
Bruntingthorpe is a big place and you can see why those airplanes were flown there - as the runway is pretty damn long...
http://www.bigthunder.co.uk/circuit.html

After the briefing I managed to get a cancellation slot and paid my £100. The staff were really great and very approachable. I got onto the track for my familiarisation lap. The paddock and pit lie halfway down the tower side of the airfield, where there was an additional karting track behind the pit. The track was run clockwise. I gingerly followed the leader around for the first couple of attempts - just to get my bearings. Once this was done - I came back in, put the old helmet on and set out for real.

Turn one is a fast sweeping left hander, which later I was doing over 110mph through! There is a lot of run off space and you can run the corners nice and wide in places. This end of the field is dominated by a retired 747 Jumbo that sits amist turns 2,3 (first chicane) and 4
Turn 2, another sweeping right is slightly slower, 3rd gear - feathering to the apex and then pushing on to the short straight before first shicane. Those that have played GT3 or 4 on the PS2 would have recognised the apex cones, sitting just behind the curbs on this fast shicane. Setting it up you drift in the brakes towards the start of the shicane, in 3rd - towards a set of lonesome tyres, covered in white PVC, dab a little harder on the brakes once more then left, right, left. If you get the first part right you can almost go straight on through it. Fabulous!! Then like the follow-through on Top Gear - you run hard towards the apex of turn 4 running wide and returning back to face the really tricky chicane at turn 5.
This chicane - made of cones - is nasty. You steam at it 4th for as long as you dare - stand on the brakes - get 2nd whilst initialisng the first right jink - clip down towards the outer wall of cones finally turning around a left. I found the FWD was a pain to get around this. If you overload leaving the chicane into the back straight (turn 6) then you end up spinning the wheels a lot.
At the end of the back straight (top right hand corner of circuit map) I was doing about 110 mph in 4th - there was a coned right hander (turn 7) shortly followed by a fast left (turn 8) then right (turn 9) - not quite a chicane - all done in 3rd. You come off deep into a short straight near the Lightenings and then pull right - turn 10 into the start/finish. With the FWD you again have to be careful not to feed the power too early as the understeer at that point was horrendous. Still I used power a plenty to bring her round and point her back at turn 1 - as fast as you dare!

I had a great day - I even under went some formal coaching from "Rocky"
He said my skills were good and much of the things I learnt were about the lines coming into corners and setting the car up properly. You get a great buzz from nailing the line and getting the power back down as early as possible. I only had one slight sketchy moment - the likes of which should be evident from the Video - coming soon.

Anyway enjoy the photos. There are plans afoot to go to Anglesey soon.
http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/bruntingthorpe_airfield.htm

Vikingxl
Sunday 7th August 2005, 05:32
Looks like you had a great day shame i missed it.

jim.covers
Sunday 7th August 2005, 12:48
Sounds brill Dave, cant wait for the vid.

splatt
Sunday 7th August 2005, 17:04
Nice one Dave..

audimadmike
Sunday 7th August 2005, 22:10
Sounds great fun, probably even better in shadquattro's S2! takes the corners like a go cart.
Recently had bit of a challenge with her, fairly equal on the straight, but round the bends.....like a jelly versus an F1 car.
Looking forward to a Santa Pod day.

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Monday 8th August 2005, 08:17
bruntingthorpe is a track that is just too wide and big for most cars,and you need a volvo or something with a bit of grunt to not get bored,

i was testing on the big track(indy loop)from about 7am in the morning,trying out a new brake pad for EBC,so i was nacred by the time i came to see you lot,but i managed to squeeze in a few laps,then the tyres and brakes started to go.
i have been to the small track loads of times,and i find it a bit boring,mainly because its too wide.

but it was a good day,and everybodys volvo looked good.

hope to see you all soon,but i will be away for 3 weeks on monday,because i am competing in the bath hurst 500.

Murphy
Monday 8th August 2005, 08:47
twas a good day - nice to meet up with everyone after a long time..............

Track action was excellent - and it stayed dry :)

Looking forward to the video :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 8th August 2005, 10:11
Hvaing popped down to show my face (as I live 5 miles down the road it would have been rude not too!) I was very impressed with the boys tear arsing round the track!!

Judge you really have NO FEAR!! LOL Split disks, wheel arch rub and the manufacturers branding worn off the outside rim of the tyres said it all!!

Dave certainly put a few bad boys in their place!!!

Best thing on the track of the day by far tho was the super Saab!!! It was a monster!!! Loving that guys work!!

x

V8guitar
Monday 8th August 2005, 13:12
Even though I have only met you once, Dave, it was odd not seeing you in a red Volvo!!

Anyway, it looks like you had a fab day and the pictures are pretty impressive! I would like to give it a go some time.....

lance
Monday 8th August 2005, 13:21
Brill day all round great to see Moppys new abode and S70, Im still recovering from Murphys blast around the block in the Fabia (Its Fab to be alive)The best small car on the market today in my opinon.
Justins V70R is the most awsome T5 Ive been in to date F**king Fantastic.If you ever want to sell give us a nod mate.
Good to see wobbly and judge Kicking ass out of the nanby pambie Ferrari boys etc.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th August 2005, 13:30
Even though I have only met you once, Dave, it was odd not seeing you in a red Volvo!!

Anyway, it looks like you had a fab day and the pictures are pretty impressive! I would like to give it a go some time.....I think everyone with a T5 should give it a go - just to tick that box once. It is an interesting experience. On one hand you are not racing - there are no overall results, prizes or winners (save not going home on a flatbed) - so in that respect it is pretty pointless. This is also a bonus because the lack of competition makes it safer. But on the other hand - it is just you and the car - finding your limits, testing yourself and feeling how the car handles to as much as you can take - and getting the best out of her.

This particular circuit is ideal for novices - the roads are as wide as runways - because they are, and there is so much run off you'd be hard pushed to really ££££ it up. In any case, you should only go as fast as you feel comfortable doing.

Murphy
Monday 8th August 2005, 13:40
Im still recovering from Murphys blast around the block in the Fabia (Its Fab to be alive)The best small car on the market today in my opinon.

Even now i am still chuckling about that. Your face was a picture. You were fearing for your life trying hard to rip my grab handle off............ :)

Glad you enjoyed the ride ;)

P.S Haven't heard from Steve yet - hope he is ok ??

P.P.S Dave, did you manage to source your noise ??

Mrsmopp
Monday 8th August 2005, 13:46
Steve's colour returned to his face, following you little jaunt, at about 5pm yesterday LOL

x

Justin
Monday 8th August 2005, 13:51
Steve's colour returned to his face, following you little jaunt, at about 5pm yesterday LOL

x
Helped along by several Stella's and a few Jack Daniels lol.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th August 2005, 14:47
P.P.S Dave, did you manage to source your noise ??
Yes Andy - inner CV joint on the offside - being fixed (as soon as the parts arrive). I am sure it was on its way before hand - but it is foobarred for sure now! Managed to clunk my way home and took it to VT this morning. I am getting the brake fluid done too.

Al115
Monday 8th August 2005, 23:43
That sounds truly excellent!!!! Good one Dave. I'm jealous! :rice:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th August 2005, 23:46
That sounds truly excellent!!!! Good one Dave. I'm jealous! :rice:
I am sure if you want I can knacker up your CV joints/boil your brake fluid too - LMAO!!

Yep - It was good fun and yep I would do it again!

Al115
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 00:30
TBH at the moment I boil my brake fluid on a daily basis. Set fire to the pads on Wednesday and Saturday last week. I either need bigger brakes, or a slower (?lighter?) car...

CV joints still OK though :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 00:53
There was smoke coming off my DS2500 after each run and the disks turned a bit blue!
Still I was amazed by how good they were even after a pounding like that.

volvotuning
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 00:56
For serious track use, I think something like DS3000 would be more suitable.

Adam.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 01:01
On stupid shift at the moment but just spent the last five hours trying to get the sound to download...looks like I'm gonna have to over lay music instead.....

Video is going to be in excess of 30 mins anyone fancy hosting it....?

Will write my version on the day when I've finished......
It was happy days....

PS - does anyone know how long the track we used was.....?

Justin
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 08:30
I will host the vid mate no probs ;)

Marrk
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 15:29
Best thing on the track of the day by far tho was the super Saab!!! It was a monster!!! Loving that guys work!!

Why thank you Mrs Mopp!!
Great to meet up with you guys....the Judge brothers or gang or whatever!!

Fantastic day, not even ruined by me having to short shift at 4200, hopefully I'll get the misfire sorted at some stage.
Look forward to seeing you's again at some stage.
If you organise another trackday event or are going to one, please feel free to post it on our site if you need to get the numbers up....happily drive with you boys again.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49927&page=5&pp=20

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=499644#post499644

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56022

Murphy
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 15:50
Saab peeps seem a friendly bunch - nice driving mark btw :)

Justin
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 15:57
I can see a Swede day out being organised in the near future ;)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 16:52
Why thank you Mrs Mopp!!
Great to meet up with you guys....the Judge brothers or gang or whatever!!

Fantastic day, not even ruined by me having to short shift at 4200, hopefully I'll get the misfire sorted at some stage.
Look forward to seeing you's again at some stage.
If you organise another trackday event or are going to one, please feel free to post it on our site if you need to get the numbers up....happily drive with you boys again.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49927&page=5&pp=20

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=499644#post499644

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56022

So what are you running exactly to get that sort of monster? Any ideas what sort of power fugures you are getting?

It would be great to do a combined meet sometime (I need to have a poke about under that bonnet and see what secrets you have under there LOL)

x

Marrk
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 17:43
I fitted a GT28RS ball bearing turbo with a homemade 3" intake pipe and big ITG filter open to the elements in the inner wing. I have a 70mm wide intercooler with 2.5" inlet and 3" outlet with the intake pipe to the throttle body in 3" also. I have a Aquamist system squirting 50% water/50% methanol into this intake pipe over 0.8bar boost, this is purely to contol detonation at higher boosts as I haven't modded any contol units and still run on factory fuel mapping setups.
I've fitted a 2.3 n/a inlet manifold as its bigger.
I have an uprated fuel pump, sx adjustible fuel regulator and standard injectors as the green giant (volvo ones) caused it to run to rich.
I run a mbc valve which is set to 1.6 bar as when I ran it at 2 bar the torque was 447lb.ft at 3500rpm but made it difficult to drive down country lanes so I backed it off to 1.6bar and it now produces about 403lb.ft.
I had it dynoed last year before the intercooler, inlet manifold and fuel upgrades and at 2bar boost it was about 340hp at 4500/447lb.ft at 3500 and dropping the boost to 1.6 brought the same hp at 5000/403lb.ft at 3500...both times the engine was shut down due to running lean....hence the fuel upgrade.
I had it on another dyno last thursday and at 4200 it was putting out 250whp at 1.2 bar boost but when the throttle was wide open the wheels kept on spinning up so no further readings were possible.
I need to sort out the fuel/boost maps and am looking at a stand alone ecu system as the 1990-1992 Calsson range run APC/DI with built in TCS/ABS and fly by wire throttle which so far nobody has bothered to do a decent upgrade what with Saab moving onto Trionic with cars after 1992. Trionic cars can be chipped to Stage 7 which is 450hp and one member on the board runs that set up at present and has dynoed at 403hp/400lb.ft torque...lots of :B_steerin
Seat of the pants tells me I have more than what I previously dynoed at and I reckon it'll be closer to 400hp than 340....time will tell...oh, and I have a fully tuned engine to go in once this one gets tired...

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 23:30
Well peeps I finally made it home Sunday night at about 1am. As I was at work at 6am I was well "cream Crackered" so I left it a day before writing my review of the day...

My weekend actually started Friday morning with a trip to Ty Croes (Anglesey) track to watch my friends R32 Skyline V-spec2 tearing up the track on his track day with bookatrack.com . It was an interesting day watching race cars that were unable to overtake him on the straights (even the caterham's) but due to the weight he had to give way every so often. Comparing his day to mine, he said, after going in my car, was he actually was quite restrained and could have gone a lot faster. He looks after his car quite well so I could quite understand were he was coming from, my car value £2500 - £3500 / His £9000 - £10000 (Car is limited edition (only 4 in country)before someone says they can get one cheaper)... got good photo's along track side as I'm a regular Marshall I could get right along side the track to take close-up photos.....

I had to go to work at 2pm for a couple of hours but at 9pm we were on our way.....£60 fill up on the way....arrived in Loughborough 12am with Astra van in convoy...

Saturday Morning arrived far to quickly and I woke up with all the excitiment of a kid at christmas I was ready in about 5 mins but had to wait for my mates who had joined me for the day to get ready...8:30ish we were on our way...Couple of phone calls from Wobbly to meet at J20 We arrived at the track just after 9am. I'd already paid for the day so I had my place confirmed Wobbly hadn't read the part about booking with the track directly and had to wait for a cancellation before he was allowed on the track.

With a bit of Lightening of the boot of the spare wheel, wooden floor, and anything not bolted down I was ready for the sighting lap. This track was one of the widest I've ever been on which gave me great confidence in future fast paced corners...

Then the Session got under way. I lined up with all the cars and as only 20 cars are allowed on the track at anyone time there was quite a wait for the first load of cars to actually get out on the track. Once the initial queue was out of the way I had no problems getting back on the track when I wanted to...

My first session I was released behind a SAAB 9000....yeppee were up against comparable machinery.....how wrong I could be...I later found out this was the 340bhp 9000 of Marrk's. This car was stupidly fast out of the corners, but due to his reported 4200 rev limit he ran out of steam and I would catch him up by the end of the straight.

At one point he actually let me overtake thinking I'd pull away from him but I think due to our well matched cornering speeds and the fact he had a faster accelerating car out of the corners eventually I gave way and was happy to follow him until the end of the first session...smile factor had just started :) :) :)

We were told at the briefing that all camera equipment must be approved for use by the marshals prior to being allowed on to the track. My bungy cords were a bit wimpy but Dave came to the rescue with some excellent straps and with approval the tripod was tested with a few laps before mounting the camera to the first shoot.

We arranged with the marshals for Dave and I to be released at the same time to get as much use of the video tape available as I only had 30mins remaining and a suspect battery. We were off...to be fair Dave held back to allow me to get enough footage but at cornering speeds of 110 mph I had to go off line to try and keep dave in focus. We had a bit of play with a Rover who didn't want to give way, but apart from that the only car to give us any hassle was a very fast VX220. I just about captured Dave's panic braking into the tight chicane. Loads of tyre smoke...the smell lasted in my car until we re-entered the pits at the end of the lap....I never asked if Dave pulled in to clear out his pants after his near miss......????? - fastest lap timed using the Video 1min 49secs

If memory serves I completed one more run before lunch then had to shoot out to the local petrol station.....well I say local I missed the turning required and ended up 15miles away with no Shell site in sight....Ah well it had to be BP ultimate when I finally found a garage that served 97RON.......

:slap: When filling up I found I'd left my number plate covers on ("JUDGENINJA") and had no screw drivers with me to change them back. Luckily for me I made it back with out coming across any Police......PHEW.....!!!

After lunch I decided to change the front tyres to two premium tyres 1x Pirelli P6000 and 1x continental tyre. I wanted to do this to test the theory I have is that premium tyres are over rated and not really required. I also finshed off the camera footage at the same time. I'm still not sure about premium tyres but at lap times of 1min 38 secs there maybe a bit in it....whether it's worth spending the extra for every day driving I'm not sure....the jury still out on this one ......

Anyway The camera gradually twisted so it was point directly towards me SO I've got loads of footage of the right hand corners but very limited view of the left hand corners....on reviewing the tape I look like a sunday driver but when you see the over steer power slide on the last lap you'll see that I was pushing the car as hard as I could......

With the camera put away I then took out my passengers. One came back with a bit of motion sickness but apart from that I think they enjoyed it. Shame that no more of the VT5 group didn't want to partake in a passenger rides.....

Dave - Brian enjoyed his ride in your car and has commented on how stable your car is compared to my knackered suspension vehicle.....

Later on in the afternoon the 2mile straight was opened and we were all convoyed over to the end of the runway and after a quick briefing on braking points and tarmac guide we wer sent off in 20 second intervals Some of the super powered cars managed 160+ figures. I was just happy to match the Type R's with a speed of 145 before planting the brake pedal at the end.

After that the day was over so after a patient wait to review the photos and with the CD purchased we changed the tyres back and were the last ones to leave the site apart from the staff....

Anyway I really enjoyed my day and it was great to see the likes of Wobbly, Mrsmopp, Waxworks, Teamsideways21, Murphy and Lance..... Maybe another run sometime next year.........?

Saturday over it was off to USC at Santa Pod on Sunday......
Cost of Day ................£100
Cost if total fuel used ...£180
Wear and tear on tyres..£200
The fact that I now have the Lambda Light on.... :frown:

The excellent day never to be repeated in a long time......PRICELESS.....

Have a nice Day.....

splatt
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 23:38
nice write up Judge...reminds me of my bike track days...mmmmmm

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 09:11
I fitted a GT28RS ball bearing turbo with a homemade 3" intake pipe and big ITG filter open to the elements in the inner wing. I have a 70mm wide intercooler with 2.5" inlet and 3" outlet with the intake pipe to the throttle body in 3" also. I have a Aquamist system squirting 50% water/50% methanol into this intake pipe over 0.8bar boost, this is purely to contol detonation at higher boosts as I haven't modded any contol units and still run on factory fuel mapping setups.
I've fitted a 2.3 n/a inlet manifold as its bigger.
I have an uprated fuel pump, sx adjustible fuel regulator and standard injectors as the green giant (volvo ones) caused it to run to rich.
I run a mbc valve which is set to 1.6 bar as when I ran it at 2 bar the torque was 447lb.ft at 3500rpm but made it difficult to drive down country lanes so I backed it off to 1.6bar and it now produces about 403lb.ft.
I had it dynoed last year before the intercooler, inlet manifold and fuel upgrades and at 2bar boost it was about 340hp at 4500/447lb.ft at 3500 and dropping the boost to 1.6 brought the same hp at 5000/403lb.ft at 3500...both times the engine was shut down due to running lean....hence the fuel upgrade.
I had it on another dyno last thursday and at 4200 it was putting out 250whp at 1.2 bar boost but when the throttle was wide open the wheels kept on spinning up so no further readings were possible.
I need to sort out the fuel/boost maps and am looking at a stand alone ecu system as the 1990-1992 Calsson range run APC/DI with built in TCS/ABS and fly by wire throttle which so far nobody has bothered to do a decent upgrade what with Saab moving onto Trionic with cars after 1992. Trionic cars can be chipped to Stage 7 which is 450hp and one member on the board runs that set up at present and has dynoed at 403hp/400lb.ft torque...lots of :B_steerin
Seat of the pants tells me I have more than what I previously dynoed at and I reckon it'll be closer to 400hp than 340....time will tell...oh, and I have a fully tuned engine to go in once this one gets tired...

Wanna swap? LOL!!

x

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 09:27
When do we get the vid Judge? (not that I'm itching to see it at all lol)

x

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 21:22
nearly finshed......

Not that it's a long and complicated process but I don't get that much time as I'm alway cruising here.....
Should finish it tonight or tomorrow.....

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 11th August 2005, 17:13
VID is finished....just compiling now so could take up to 1hr 30 mins to complete......
30 mins long...

It's Tough if you don't like the music, but I still can't get the sound to download...
Very big file so suggest any one on dial up goes and see a friend on Broadband to get them to download it for you....(100mb)

...I'll try and get it E-mailed to Justin tonight for him to host.....

In DVD quality It'll be 4Gb so if anyones interested I'd be happy to make one...
Let me know if there are any mistakes..I'm not really interested in the times as they were only rough workings out.....for a guide...

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 11th August 2005, 17:14
86 mins to go.....

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 11th August 2005, 23:53
Can't wait to see how good my ass looks!

JUDGENINJA
Friday 12th August 2005, 00:18
stupid E-mail.......still trying to send it......
may have to give up and send it via post......
AHHHHHH still failing.......

t5owner
Friday 12th August 2005, 00:36
stupid E-mail.......still trying to send it......
may have to give up and send it via post......
AHHHHHH still failing.......

Judge the files probably too big to send by email if you`ve got a website try hosting it there or else send it on dvd to justin and he should be able to upload it to the forum website server from his end

:riceboy:

Cheers

stuart

Justin
Friday 12th August 2005, 08:28
Judge the files probably too big to send by email if you`ve got a website try hosting it there or else send it on dvd to justin and he should be able to upload it to the forum website server from his end

:riceboy:

Cheers

stuart
Said that without moving my lips lol

t5owner
Friday 12th August 2005, 16:13
Did i again oh i must stop it :doh:

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 14th August 2005, 00:54
You lot are all psychic. I had given up trying....

I will be producing/re-compiling the movie into a DVD format. It'll maximise the resolution so Justin can adjust the format as required.
I'll make 2 copies of the DVD. One for Dave to keep and one for Justin to host or distribute for fellow members accordingly..
As Long as Dave sends me his address I'll be able to get these off for everyone..

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 18:45
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/judgeninja2/img6.jpg
Title..."The generations meet.."

Just thought I share a piccy....

lance
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 18:59
Wicked pic mate just the name plates are the wrong way round

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 24th August 2005, 21:01
Where's this vid Judge?

x

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th August 2005, 11:09
Y'cant spell me Wobbly name right - still it is a cool pic.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th August 2005, 11:10
You lot are all psychic. I had given up trying....

I will be producing/re-compiling the movie into a DVD format. It'll maximise the resolution so Justin can adjust the format as required.
I'll make 2 copies of the DVD. One for Dave to keep and one for Justin to host or distribute for fellow members accordingly..
As Long as Dave sends me his address I'll be able to get these off for everyone..
Wayne, I still have not received the DVD yet?

Martinr
Thursday 25th August 2005, 11:52
Isn't that Lances' car on the left or has Dave managed to fit roofrails to a C70. I know he likes modifying but...

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th August 2005, 11:53
I took them off after the pic - LOL

Glad someone is paying attention!

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 00:10
yeah OK..I wasn't paying attention when I did the piccy...
Haven't been on the PC for a while and also having problems authoring a DVD at the mo...I'll burn the MPEG and the piccys on to a CD-R instead and get it off to you tomorrow....

JUDGENINJA
Friday 2nd September 2005, 03:11
PICCY UPDATED... :haha: