PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle - XC70

MisterC1501
Friday 29th July 2011, 22:50
Yep, it's been a while since I sold my Classic R, and now I've been offered an Xc70 for a song. Only thing that concerns me is the AWD system. As a previous fwd V70R owner, it is common knowledge that the AWD version was problematic, so I was wondering if the Phase 2 AWD has the same sytem as the Classic, or is it totally different.

Any problems with this system and what to check for before I buy later next month.

Muchos grassy

Tomcat
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:45
Welcome back dude...

volvokid
Saturday 30th July 2011, 00:23
hey good to see your back

The Flying Moose
Saturday 30th July 2011, 00:53
Welcome back.

I would imagine the Phase 2 has the same system on principal to the phase 1. However as the phase two is a much newer and updated car it wouldnt supprise me if there were many changes to the design.

My grandad has a 02 plate XC70 D5 he has had from brand new and the AWD system has never failed yet. He uses it on his farm so in my eyes it must be fairly robust.

abdul
Saturday 30th July 2011, 11:37
welcome back

MisterC1501
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 15:15
Thanks chaps for your warm welcomes (sound like that pesky meerkat!). A bloke I sometimes see at work is trading his XC70 for a new one, next month. So, casually just to pass the time I made friendly banter about it, and he has given me first refusal.

I have arranged to see the car this Thursday so hopefully I'll see all the documents, service history, etc. and have a good look. Any heads up on known problems of these would be helpful. The car has a private plate so don't know exactly the year.

SomeBloke
Sunday 7th August 2011, 20:30
You need to know what year.
Pre 2003? if so, get it CHEAP!
Pre 2003 has a viscous coupling and is the cause of expensive failures, after that it's a Haldex and it's much more forgiving.....

MisterC1501
Sunday 7th August 2011, 23:28
You need to know what year.
Pre 2003? if so, get it CHEAP!
Pre 2003 has a viscous coupling and is the cause of expensive failures, after that it's a Haldex and it's much more forgiving.....

It will be on an 02 plate. It was an ex demonstrator and he has owned it from 3 months old. He has had it serviced within a 100 miles of each specified service interval, and has always replaced the tyres as a set of 4, routinely swapping fronts to back etc.

Although not my prefared engine choice (would have wanted a D5) it has been serviced to death and wanted for nothing. Plus it is toooo good a car to trade.

So I am going to take the gamble and get this next month. As with any car, problems can arise but my conscience is clear due to its impeccable history.

SomeBloke
Monday 8th August 2011, 15:36
If it's been treated to 4 tyres at a time and regular rotation, it sounds like you'll have one of the few good ones :)

If there's a variation in axle rotation speed front to back, the viscous coupling starts to lock up 'cos it thinks one set of wheels is spinning and you need the AWD.
When this happens in slippy conditions any wind up stress in the drive line can spin away at the tyres, on tarmac that doesn't happen and it's the bevel gear that takes the strain.
WHEN it finally goes if you're lucky it's just the splined shaft, unlucky and it's the bevel itself.....

If you are confident in it's previous owner and history, and it's at a price that's right, I say go for it :)

MisterC1501
Monday 8th August 2011, 22:47
If it's been treated to 4 tyres at a time and regular rotation, it sounds like you'll have one of the few good ones :)

If you are confident in it's previous owner and history, and it's at a price that's right, I say go for it :)

It's really the only reason that I'm going for this, otherwise I would have gone for a V70 D5 SE, non AWD, but then again, a good one with the same history and mileage I would have to pay 3 times more

Dangerous Dave
Monday 8th August 2011, 23:21
WHEN it finally goes if you're lucky it's just the splined shaft, unlucky and it's the bevel itself.....
Thats what went on mine, unfortunately it also rounded off the splines on the gearbox output shaft too :( so I had to find a replacement gearbox and I got a new connecting sleeve from Rufe.

But TBH last year when I was up in Glasgow for the horrendous snow they had, it didn't put a foot wrong (apart from the heat shielding falling onto the propshaft) considering it is just an AWD.