PDA

View Full Version : The quest for 300bhp

Ton
Friday 29th July 2011, 17:48
I'm currently waiting for the right car to come up, but in the meantime I thought I would post up this thread.

I've decided that once I find my T5, I'll want 300bhp out of it at the flywheel. The car in question will be a manual.

After a bit of digging, it appears as if a 15G will not flow for my desired power output, but I'm assuming that anything including a 16T and above will.

The mods I'm planning are as follows:

Downpipe
Decat
Cat Back (probably JT)
White injectors (If not required I doubt I'll bother)
Dump Valve
Remap

What kind of power figure would I be looking at if I did the above with both a 16T and 19T?

Cheers in advance.

t5_monkey
Friday 29th July 2011, 17:57
a lot of people swear by the 18T due to it's slightly quicker spool than the 19T.

Power... anyones guess, you see ALL kinds of dyno plots etc.... get it modded, but it on the 1/4 mile.. .that's the only acid test really - same goes for stage 0, making sure the MAF and sensors are fresh etc...

Intercooler can be important too.

Remember the suspension :) It's not all about power! I'd live with less power if it meant I got to keep the Bilstein dampers and IPD roll bar.

Ton
Friday 29th July 2011, 18:01
Cheers t5_monkey

Oh and just for clarification it will be the earlier T5 Motronic 4.4 engine.

greeleyt5
Friday 29th July 2011, 18:02
it all depends on what condition the engines in before you start moding, but you will need a uprated fuel pump to get that fuel in there as well as a good quality air filter, mine has had all you have mentioned minus injectors and fuel pump and im not sure of the bhp but it goes like stink and ive had some quick cars.

Jamest5r
Friday 29th July 2011, 18:22
it all depends on what condition the engines in before you start moding, but you will need a uprated fuel pump to get that fuel in there as well as a good quality air filter, mine has had all you have mentioned minus injectors and fuel pump and im not sure of the bhp but it goes like stink and ive had some quick cars.

I agree totally with the engine comment mate they vary greatly, however you will not need and uprated fuel pump the volvo one can handle 300@ the fly(waits to be shot down now), all i had was a 16t filter and cat-back + a bloody decent map still on orange injectors but they had been refurbed and i got 289bhp and 456nm, fueling perfect all the way :)

volvolised
Friday 29th July 2011, 19:53
How about a red 850r manual estate...an 86k engine....18t....ferrita 3" downpipe and cat back...3" intercooler....reverse intercooler pipework.....larger throttle body...MTE stage 2........280 bhp.....ipd anti roll bars front and back...strut brace ..new lowered fk suspension....+ lots more.....(has an mbc to keep the boost down, get some rods fitted and i'm sure 300 will be thereabouts) pm me if interested....a very nice and rapid with a capital R estate...heres the whole spec
Red 855 R Manual
Black interior, full driver + passenger eletric seats, integrated child seat, excellent condition inside
Bodywork in very good condition apart from over enthusiastic polishing in certain areas!
M56 gearbox (don't ask me why, it came with it!)
Angled 18T, MTE Stage 2 re-map, currently peaking at 1.4 bar
Feritta cat-back + 3" downpipe
Uprated 70mm FMIC, reverse intercooler pipework (courtesy of Tim Williams)
Ported throttle body (courtesy of Tim Williams)
Front + Rear IPD ARBs
Oil catch tank
Polybushed top engine mount, gearbox tie bar, wishbones, re-inforced engine + sub-frame mounts
40mm drop FK springs + shocks all round
All vacuum lines uprated
Racetech boost guage
TurboSmart MBC installed in-line with BCS (precautionary measure to limit over-boost)
Enlarged MAF->Turbo pipework
Genuine Volvo Boost Control Solenoid (BCS), fitted by MRG Volvo
Genuine Volvo thermostat + temperature sensor, fitted by MRG Volvo
Genuine Volvo gear linkage cables, fitted by MRG Volvo
Genuine Volvo front ARB links, fitted by MRG Volvo
Genuine Volvo spark plugs (within last 2000 miles)
5w40 oil + filter change (last 1000 miles)
4 recoated Volan alloy wheels
The car is very fast, and drives as you'd expect - quick! Over £6k spent (in the last 18 months!) on this car getting it to where it is, nothing has been spared.

graemewelch
Friday 29th July 2011, 22:48
save a bit longer and get a 2.4 t5.you wont regret it and 300 bhp dosnt even scratch the surface

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:19
I already have 305bhp. Not sure what the dump valve malarky is about. However if that's your bag then fair enough.

I am running a standard fuel pump with green injectors - duty cycle & AFR is spot on. I agree with James on that.

You can read my project thread - but essentailly a decent map & a decent turbo should see you reach that target.

:stupid:
The easiest way to get 300 plus is to buy a S60/V70 T5 MY 2005 with the 2.4 litre engine & just remap it. You can pick up an S60 for as little as 4K

Reaching 350 BHP or more is a bit more tricky.

Supporting mods like decent suspension & brakes can be applied later.

Ton
Saturday 30th July 2011, 09:32
I already have 305bhp. Not sure what the dump valve malarky is about. However if that's your bag then fair enough.

I am running a standard fuel pump with green injectors - duty cycle & AFR is spot on. I agree with James on that.

You can read my project thread - but essentailly a decent map & a decent turbo should see you reach that target.

:stupid:
The easiest way to get 300 plus is to buy a S60/V70 T5 MY 2005 with the 2.4 litre engine & just remap it. You can pick up an S60 for as little as 4K

Reaching 350 BHP or more is a bit more tricky.

Supporting mods like decent suspension & brakes can be applied later.

Why a dump valve? Guess I'm a bit of a chav at heart.

Seriously though, surely running higher boost will warrant one due to issues with compressor surge etc?

Sure, I could get 300bhp easily out of a later T5 block, but I'm only interested in the 850 or early X70 cars. If I wanted big power, I'd just buy a B5 S4 and K04 it for 500bhp.

As thought, it seems my desired figure depends upon the condition of the block and all associated ancillaries and not just bolt on mods.

:B_thumb:

Ed.
Saturday 30th July 2011, 10:25
If running an angled 16t. I would add ME7/R manifold, reverse intercooler piping, uprated fmic and possibly water injection to achieve 300bhp. It would probably be cheaper just going for the bigger 19t and less mods to make the same power.

The 16t would spool up quicker and make decent power but will tail off at the top of the rev range. The 19t will take longer to spool but will hold more boost and carry on pulling to the redline.

Ed

leet5r
Saturday 30th July 2011, 11:03
the 16t ,18t and 19t all use the same size exhaust wheel , just bigger comp wheels , its noy about power but how the car drives m8 , i have 278bhp in mine and it runs a 14.3 and will go quicker

t5_monkey
Saturday 30th July 2011, 14:35
Adding to what Wobbly said...

I've seen 2 separate 2.4 T5's reach 350bhp (maha dyno) with just bolt ons (FMIC, 3" downpipe, injectors and exhaust)

lance
Saturday 30th July 2011, 15:16

Seriously though, surely running higher boost will warrant one due to issues with compressor surge etc?

Sure, I could get 300bhp easily out of a later T5 block, but I'm only interested in the 850 or early X70 cars. If I wanted big power, I'd just buy a B5 S4 and K04 it for 500bhp.

As thought, it seems my desired figure depends upon the condition of the block and all associated ancillaries and not just bolt on mods.

Nice I had a B5 S4 mine only had modified K03s but still 510 NM @ 337 BHP only trouble is there very expensive to run and maintain. Back to your project newer T5s are nicer to drive in many ways including a nice 6 speed box and much improved economy but if u must have an old one 19T and a custom tune should see get you over the 300 BHP mark.

WOODY T5
Saturday 30th July 2011, 15:29
Mines got 320 if not more near 400 pounds foot torque so it is poss

T4Rick
Saturday 30th July 2011, 15:51
Mines got 320 if not more near 400 pounds foot torque so it is poss

Hi smithness what mods did you to your beast to see 300 plus bhp

WOODY T5
Saturday 30th July 2011, 23:49
lots mate have a look in my garage?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 31st July 2011, 00:16

My recirc valve deals perfectly well with 300 without any turbo chatter or feedback. Dumping to air is a no no for ME7 cars & later as it will throw a wobbly (geddit).

Getting an 850 or x70 car to 300 involves a lot more than just remapping an S60. However if that is where you want to start then fair do's. Just be aware that the youngest 850 you can buy now will be at least 14 years old.

If this is your first foray into T5 modding then stay clear of newly ex-plod vehicles as the preparatory work will be even more long winded.

Smithness has a great car but I think quite a lot was already done for him - correct me if I am wrong but the ported head was not something Smithness paid to have done.

That may be an easier less costly route to follow - namely buying a car that has already been partly or wholely modified in advance.

What is your budget?

WOODY T5
Sunday 31st July 2011, 00:28
My recirc valve deals perfectly well with 300 without any turbo chatter or feedback. Dumping to air is a no no for ME7 cars & later as it will throw a wobbly (geddit).

Getting an 850 or x70 car to 300 involves a lot more than just remapping an S60. However if that is where you want to start then fair do's. Just be aware that the youngest 850 you can buy now will be at least 14 years old.

If this is your first foray into T5 modding then stay clear of newly ex-plod vehicles as the preparatory work will be even more long winded.

Smithness has a great car but I think quite a lot was already done for him - correct me if I am wrong but the ported head was not something Smithness paid to have done.

That may be an easier less costly route to follow - namely buying a car that has already been partly or wholely modified in advance.

What is your budget?dave the work i did my self and as not got a ported head mate

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 31st July 2011, 00:30
My apologies - I thought you said you'd had some head work done.