PDA

View Full Version : educate me on boost controllers

antz
Thursday 28th July 2011, 22:33
go on guys.....give me the low down.

I assume they "control boost" but how? do i need one? are they worth it? what sort is the best to get? how do they work?

:thewave:

M-R-P
Thursday 28th July 2011, 22:48
Boost controllers come in mechanical and electronic. They replace the (if you have a p2 t5) little gizmo on the side of your airbox with 3 pipes and a wire coming off it. Basically, they control/interfere with the flow of compressed air to the wastegate actuator, causing it to open the wastegate earlier (less boost) or later (more boost) This practice should be undertaken with the aid of a boost gauge so you don't over pressure the manifold and damage the engine/turbo/intercooler/hoses. the mechanical controller can be mounted in the engine bay or the cabin - having it in the cab allows you to adjust boost while driving with a turn of an anodized, knurled knob. The electronic controller can be mounted in a similar way but requires a power supply and a bit more fiddling about.
You can have a similar effect by shortening the wastegate actuator arm (take it off the wastegate and wind the connector in a turn or two) THIS SHOULD BE DONE WITH EXTREME CAUTION and is often frowned upon by the tuning fraternity. doing this not only makes the wastegate open later but changes the way it open as you're effectively changing the pre-load on the actuator. If done correctly, you get more wooooossshhh. If done incorrectly, you can get anything from boost spikes (violently unpredictable acceleration) to just battering your con-rods and destroying your engine. My actuator has been shortened, correctly, the car goes like ££££ with no problems. choice is yours.
HTH
:)

antz
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:02
so would i better off with a manual one you adjust in the engine bay or a electronic one from the likes of blitz thats costs lots of money?

p fandango
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:06
so would i better off with a manual one you adjust in the engine bay or a electronic one from the likes of blitz thats costs lots of money?
depends what you want. An electric gives you the adjustability to turn the boost up or down instantly, expensive ones can also help protect your engine as you can set the boost low at lower rpm's. But a manual one is alot more aggressive & gives more of a kick than an electric one

WOODY T5
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:09
hi mate did have the mbc on my car would pike at 1.4 then droped back to 0.9 then went to the blitz dual boost its a lot better no boost drop now>>>

antz
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:24
hi mate did have the mbc on my car would pike at 1.4 then droped back to 0.9 then went to the blitz dual boost its a lot better no boost drop now>>>

How easy was it to wire up the Blitz one? I do rpefer the idea of being able to adjust boost from inside the car rather than fannying around under the bonnet.

WOODY T5
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:26
very easy mate just two wires then just plug and play works for me???

Jamest5r
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:30

13.49..id say it bloody work's for you lol.

antz
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:31

add to list:
blitz dual boost controller. :)

this is going to be a bloody expensive "standard conversion" at the rate im going. Just looked on ebay and jesus they arent cheap!

WOODY T5
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:34
13.49..id say it bloody work's for you lol.yea i would say so on a warm day to mate?

The Flying Moose
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:57
yea i would say so on a warm day to mate?

I dont think you can claim the weather had any effect, that intercooler was stone cold even after a run!

WOODY T5
Saturday 30th July 2011, 00:01
well cold air is better mate so maybe a 13.2? lol

The Flying Moose
Saturday 30th July 2011, 00:08
well cold air is better mate so maybe a 13.2? lol

Nonsense, 13.0 dead is to be had out of that motor.

WOODY T5
Saturday 30th July 2011, 00:17
Nonsense, 13.0 dead is to be had out of that motor.yea would be nice will have to get modifying then?

cherry1809
Saturday 30th July 2011, 08:22
add to list:
blitz dual boost controller. :)

this is going to be a bloody expensive "standard conversion" at the rate im going. Just looked on ebay and jesus they arent cheap!

I got mine from ebay for £100 delivered mate. Compare that to £60-70 for a decent under bonnet controller and it's no contest.