PDA

View Full Version : 2008 V50 - Please help a new member!

Fatboy
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 20:18
I purchased my first Volvo on Monday, a stunning black, V50 D5 SE LUX, having convinced my wife that it was a family car and we needed it! It is superb, looks amazing, and when we picked it up the garage had just done the MOT, oil and filter and gassed up the air con for us.
However on the way home, when pulling out the car became very sluggish and pulled away slowly, even with my foot flat to the floor. It had very little fuel in it, so I took it to the garage, filled up and went for a blast on the M42 thinking this may be the cause, but it was still not as responsive as I thought it should be.
Coming from a Volvo family (my sister has a V50, my Dad has a V50 R design and my Mum has a C70) I knew it should be quicker, but as it was now late we headed home.
The following day, my wife decided that a good run would sort it out, so she went to visit her Dad in Torquay, a good 150 mile run down the M5, but she reported back that although everything else on the car was fine, there was still not enough power there, struggling to even get a steep hill, and daring not to try to overtake or pull out on anyone!
I will be taking it back to the dealer as I have 3 months warranty, however I want to have an idea of what to be looking for, so they don't fob me off, I have ben told by friends it could be the air mass meter or a turbo inlet pipe, but would welcome any help or guidance so that I am fully prepared when I take it back next week.
Please help.
Thank you.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 20:30
Don't know much about this modern stuff sorry best to try and get codes read and see if anything come's up.

Al115
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 20:31
Get them to talk to the computers in it... they should be able to tell pretty quickly that way.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 21:32
Get the Codes read....

it does sound like it could be a DPF issue (particulate filter)

Problems can get expensive on modern turbodiesels (fuel pumps, injectors etc..)

If they don't provide a speedy resolution, reject the car - safest thing to do if you're still under warranty.

If they know you'll reject it unless they sort it quickly for you, they will know they can't mess you around.

Fatboy
Wednesday 17th August 2011, 12:38
Following all your help, I took my car back the origional garage who tried to find the fault however as nothing was showing up on the lap-top, they admitted defeat and sent it in to Volvo to check over. As well as a few upgrades that were needed, it appears that there was a fault with the throttle body, which has now been rectified and the car should be on the way back tomorrow.
Once back, and as I still have a bit left over from my origional budget, i was thinking of getting the car re-mapped, has anyone else done this, do you see a marked improvement, is it worth the money? I have been told there is good company in Birmingham where I am situated, called DCP Tuning, has anyone had any dealings with these guys before?
Thanks

t5_monkey
Wednesday 17th August 2011, 15:38
get a Rica or MTE map... you can install it with a softloader.

Yes, it will be a lot faster! but inform your insurer.

hamish
Wednesday 17th August 2011, 16:15
Following all your help, I took my car back the origional garage who tried to find the fault however as nothing was showing up on the lap-top, they admitted defeat and sent it in to Volvo to check over. As well as a few upgrades that were needed, it appears that there was a fault with the throttle body, which has now been rectified and the car should be on the way back tomorrow.
Once back, and as I still have a bit left over from my origional budget, i was thinking of getting the car re-mapped, has anyone else done this, do you see a marked improvement, is it worth the money? I have been told there is good company in Birmingham where I am situated, called DCP Tuning, has anyone had any dealings with these guys before?
Thanks

Hi,

I think you are probably looking for me !! We are located in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire just south of Birmingham (M42 J1 or M5 J4/J5). We have been tuning Volvos for nearly 10 years now and have tuned more Volvos than the rest put together ! It will be an Autotech Sweden remap on your car which are unrivalled in the Volvo Tuning World. The cost to you as a VPCUK member is currently £350 and this would include a Dyno run and a Diagnostic check before and after. Oh yeah I would expect to see gains of 35-40hp and 70-80Nm with an Improvement in the fuel consumption of between 2-5 MPG.

Regards,
Hamish.

www.hlmtuning.co.uk

hamish
Wednesday 17th August 2011, 16:16
Hi,

I think you are probably looking for me !! We are located in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire just south of Birmingham (M42 J1 or M5 J4/J5). We have been tuning Volvos for nearly 10 years now and have tuned more Volvos than the rest put together ! It will be an Autotech Sweden remap on your car which are unrivalled in the Volvo Tuning World. The cost to you as a VPCUK member is currently £350 and this would include a Dyno run and a Diagnostic check before and after. Oh yeah I would expect to see gains of 35-40hp and 70-80Nm with an Improvement in the fuel consumption of between 2-5 MPG.

Regards,
Hamish.

www.hlmtuning.co.uk

P.S. We also have a Softloader Device and a Hand Held Programmer if you need.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 17th August 2011, 16:44
A tuned D5 will be outrageous! - unholy almost. :welcome:

Fatboy
Wednesday 17th August 2011, 19:43
Sounds great. Hamish, as soon as I get her back from the garage, I'll be on my way to pay you a visit, I reckon you are only about 25 mins away (15 mins on the way back in my newly tuned D5!!!!)

Thanks again for all your help.