PDA

View Full Version : tuning advise and slight smoke on over run

bigbmma
Monday 25th July 2011, 20:24
just needing a bit of advise before car goes of the road next monthon where to get tuning parts from looking to really get the most out the car so a good source of parts would be great, also i am having an issue with the car being hard to start from cold takes 2 mins of turning over to start it, and finally when i accelerate hard come off and accelerate again a get smoke from the exhaust but it doesn do it any other times

AndysR
Monday 25th July 2011, 20:33
What are you hoping to achieve from the car power wise/what are your plans for the car whilst it's off the road?

The poor starting could be as simple as duff, worn, incorrect plugs or gaps. The two like culprits of the smoking when it finally starts could be worn valve stem oil seals/valve guides or just unburnt fuel which was being injected while you were cranking. Has the fault always been apparant or has it just started recently? If recently have you done anything to the car that may have been the cause?

What is the current mileage and spec of the car?

bigbmma
Monday 25th July 2011, 20:49
cars totally standard at moment and yeah its done it for a good while at least a year as far as a can remember as the car was a family members, ideally looking to get as much power out it as possible without being un reliable, first plans are to strip all the suspension out and poly bush everything then coilovers, so any advice is much appreciated cause am needing it done asap so a can start my next project

milleage is 123000

AndysR
Monday 25th July 2011, 20:59
When was the last time things like the fuel filter, plugs, leads, rotor arm and cap were replaced?

Well I guess 300 plus can be done reliably and in some cases on a standard engine. Most people opt for a good flowing exhaust with either a sports cat or decat. That includes sorting the downpipe out as the standard one is quite restrictive. If it's an 850 which perhaps wrongly I am guessing it is an injector upgrade will be needed to cope with the extra boost levels. Off the shelf maps can achieve that sort of power if you go for stage 2 plus but getting a custom map to the spec of your car is always going to be the best answer, perhaps if you can stretch to it a turbo tuner and a good knowledgeable tuner will see good results.

bigbmma
Monday 25th July 2011, 21:04
sorry my appologises itan s40 2.0 turbo

AndysR
Monday 25th July 2011, 21:06
sorry my appologises itan s40 2.0 turbo

Right well that makes a slight difference then..

Not really very knowledgeable with these but I do know a few on here have had or have still got modified examples so I shall let them explain. That said I have been in an S40 which is running coilovers and they really do handle much better than you could even begin to imagine...

bigbmma
Monday 25th July 2011, 21:10
yeah ideally am after a good fast family car that people dont expect to be quick that handles well cause at the moment its like a bath for handling thanks for the advice

AndysR
Monday 25th July 2011, 21:49
yeah ideally am after a good fast family car that people dont expect to be quick that handles well cause at the moment its like a bath for handling thanks for the advice

Sounds like you've got the right idea so far ;)