PDA

View Full Version : school me on dump valves

antz
Sunday 24th July 2011, 18:54
hey guys, can someone school me on dumpvalves?

I know they go PSSSST, are not cheap and everyone with a turbo seems to fit them for a reason but...

what exactly do they do?
Are they worth the money?
Whats he difference between a dump valve and whatever causes the TSSSH noise on my standard T4?

T5frankie
Sunday 24th July 2011, 19:05
a dump valve on our cars is mostly for noise reasons, it helps keep the turbo spinning between gearchanges to stop turbo lag, the noise on your t4 is just the wastegate noise a nice dump valve can be very loud dependant on how much boost you run

antz
Sunday 24th July 2011, 19:12
So are they worth the cash just for a PSSSSST between gear changes? ha ha

T5frankie
Sunday 24th July 2011, 19:16
So are they worth the cash just for a PSSSSST between gear changes? ha ha

for me yeah i love 'em all adds to the turbo drama you can get with a t5, try to find a secondhand one then it's defo worth it

big shrek
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:27
well ive just got my dump valve working after me and my mate skinned our knuckles blanking off the recirc valve and im quite disappointed with how loud its not

we tried the dump valve off his passat and its still not very loud unless you change gear about 4500rpm

will this be louder with less revs when i up the boost to about 14psi?

T5frankie
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:32
well ive just got my dump valve working after me and my mate skinned our knuckles blanking off the recirc valve and im quite disappointed with how loud its not

we tried the dump valve off his passat and its still not very loud unless you change gear about 4500rpm

will this be louder with less revs when i up the boost to about 14psi?

more boost equals more noise mate a standard 10psi will sound rubbish i run over 20psi so it sounds awesome

big shrek
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:34
more boost equals more noise mate a standard 10psi will sound rubbish i run over 20psi so it sounds awesome

even at lower revs? at the moment when i change gear from 1st to 2nd unless i redline it which i dont like doing you cant hear it

T5frankie
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:35
you will only hear it at full boost mate 1st to 2nd isn't full boost

M-R-P
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:38
You can also get them fitted for comedy effect, I saw a calibra turbo today, and the effin' thing quacked when he changed gear!!! LMFAO

big shrek
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:38
you will only hear it at full boost mate 1st to 2nd isn't full boost

will have to wait and see then when i up the boost,im having liams mbc soon so fingers crossed it will be louder,ive kept the one from my mates passat as it sounds better than that bailey trumpet one i had fitted,this ones an adjustable one

big shrek
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:39
You can also get them fitted for comedy effect, I saw a calibra turbo today, and the effin' thing quacked when he changed gear!!! LMFAO

haha yeah ive heard cars like this,there is a audi turbo goes round here and when he changes gear it gobbles like a fat turkey

LiamT4
Sunday 24th July 2011, 20:43
will have to wait and see then when i up the boost,im having liams mbc soon so fingers crossed it will be louder,ive kept the one from my mates passat as it sounds better than that bailey trumpet one i had fitted,this ones an adjustable one

About that mbc, not sure if you'll want it as i'v been told that either its not a very good one, or that its not working as it should be.

Sorry mate.

Al115
Sunday 24th July 2011, 21:16
hey guys, can someone school me on dumpvalves?

I know they go PSSSST, are not cheap and everyone with a turbo seems to fit them for a reason but...

what exactly do they do?
Are they worth the money?
Whats he difference between a dump valve and whatever causes the TSSSH noise on my standard T4?

Your T4 has a dump valve already as do all the T5s, it's a recirculating one that dumps air internally, Volvo chose that to maintain the amount of air in the system. As Frankie says, you can get a noisier one (atmospheric type) but all they do is a) make more noise and b) confuse your car. More modern Volvos (ME7 onwards) REALLY don't like atmospheric DVs as they "lose" air that they think they should have and get all confused... older ones are OK with them. I wouldn't fit one to any Volvo that has drive-by-wire throttle as a rule of thumb. You can get them to work but it's tricky.

antz
Sunday 24th July 2011, 21:34
Ah cheers Alastair! You really are a fountain of knowledge ha ha.

Its just something Ive always wondered about, I dont want to fit one to any of my cars because Id rather spend my money on amking it go faster than sound like its fast.

Theres a Golf GTTDI in my village with one that goes WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP like Dr Zoidberg from Futurama. Stupid thing pisses me off.

Flatout Phil
Sunday 24th July 2011, 22:03
Yeah, well I'm 46 and in a tolerably sober profession (psychotherapist) and I have a DV and LOVE it - nothing quite like it for clearing the struggles of the day IMHO.
I think they sound better on manuals and with a remap and/or MBC.
I don't think it alters the performance a jot, but the sound? Oh yes. Mine is a Forge.

Haizum74
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:17
You could always get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dump-Valve-Simulator-TURBO-Whistle-Sound-Blow-Off-Noise-/130511822356?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e631c5e14

*please note, I am not serious*

antz
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:22
You could always get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dump-Valve-Simulator-TURBO-Whistle-Sound-Blow-Off-Noise-/130511822356?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e631c5e14

*please note, I am not serious*

There was a lad in my local area that had a chavved up Ford ka running 19" alloys. YES 19" and it was a standard 1.3 He had an electronic dump valve.

oh dear.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erjhkv9AzKY&feature=related

p fandango
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:39
just blank the recirc off & don't bother with a dump valve :riceboy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmNucK8712M

The Flying Moose
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:55

Coventry looks so old there Pedro, must have been mid to late nineties when you recorded that. After all its been almost that long since the car was on the road!!!

antz
Friday 29th July 2011, 23:57
Coventry looks so old there Pedro, must have been mid to late nineties when you recorded that. After all its been almost that long since the car was on the road!!!

Nah Coventrys just 10 years behind the rest of the world :)

The Flying Moose
Saturday 30th July 2011, 00:09
Nah Coventrys just 10 years behind the rest of the world :)

And the rest... ;)

The "young lads" still think its worth stealing Montego's so you must be right.

Haizum74
Saturday 30th July 2011, 00:51

Sounds like Darth Vader breathing in

p fandango
Saturday 30th July 2011, 06:28
am i allowed to call moderators "cheeky b****rds" or not? lol

p fandango
Saturday 30th July 2011, 06:31
Sounds like Darth Vader breathing in
is that good or bad lol

The Flying Moose
Saturday 30th July 2011, 13:45
am i allowed to call moderators "cheeky b****rds" or not? lol

Meh, of course as its you... ;)