PDA

View Full Version : Problems

shakyfromwakey
Sunday 24th July 2011, 07:56
My car is due for service shortly and it could be a big bill.

First my relay no37 blew (elec windows) & when swapped for another relay it got really hot - looks like a short somewhere.

My drivers door handle is coming away.

There is a slight grating sensation under braking (got new rear brake pads over 5 years ago which is the only new brake parts I've put on the car).

There is like a knocking noise on full lock.

When turning the key there is resistance as if the steering lock is on a bit.

I'm wondering wether my 98 t5 gt auto is worth keeping. Apart from the above it's great. Am I looking at major problems or just niggles?

deathrider311271
Sunday 24th July 2011, 10:45
My car is due for service shortly and it could be a big bill.

First my relay no37 blew (elec windows) & when swapped for another relay it got really hot - looks like a short somewhere.

My drivers door handle is coming away.

There is a slight grating sensation under braking (got new rear brake pads over 5 years ago which is the only new brake parts I've put on the car).

There is like a knocking noise on full lock.

When turning the key there is resistance as if the steering lock is on a bit.

I'm wondering wether my 98 t5 gt auto is worth keeping. Apart from the above it's great. Am I looking at major problems or just niggles?
do the windows go up and down freely?

replace all discs and pads including handbrake shoes that will sort out the grating

knocking: check your drop links and wishbones if nothing there it will probably be suspension top mounts

ignition: spray lots of WD40 into the mechanism to clean it out, let it dry and spray some lithium grease in there that should sort it out.

most expensive out of that lot will be the brakes

shakyfromwakey
Sunday 24th July 2011, 15:25
Nice summary deathrider311271.

The windows work perfect when putting a working relay in number 37 but the relay then gets hot so will probably blow again. Could be an expensive investigation into the problem at the main dealers.

I'll try the wd40 trick.

The knocking & grating I thought I would let the main dealer tell me if they find anything untowards with the brakes & suspension and if they mention nothing take the car in at a later date if the problems get worse.

The paintwork is still good and there is no rust I can see so I think the car is worth spending a few quid on as it drives so well.

Thanks again