PDA

View Full Version : Auto Kick down.

Tomcat
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 19:09
Anyone else with an auto tell me what the kick down is like?, with mine it's the last little bit of pedal travel and I've got to litteraly burry the pedal into the firewall to get it to do it. Does it need adjusting or is this normal?.

AndysR
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 19:11
Anyone else with an auto tell me what the kick down is like?, with mine it's the last little bit of pedal travel and I've got to litteraly burry the pedal into the firewall to get it to do it. Does it need adjusting or is this normal?.

Kickdown is activated by pressing the kickdown switch which is right at the end of the pedal travel. It feels like your actually pressing down on the switch, I guess you also have to mean it as well in order to activate it..

Tomcat
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 19:33
Kickdown is activated by pressing the kickdown switch which is right at the end of the pedal travel. It feels like your actually pressing down on the switch, I guess you also have to mean it as well in order to activate it..

Ahh cool, it's not buggered then, cheers Andy.

AndysR
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 19:52

Yep I'd say yours sounds normal from the description...

volvokid
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 20:09

It wont always do it when YOU think it should though, but thats the joy of the auto im afraid

Tomcat
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 20:11
Lol, I'd sort of noticed that, it's not what you'd call predictable is it?.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 20:19
Lol, I'd sort of noticed that, it's not what you'd call predictable is it?.

Nope its certainly not, and when you most need it, it wont do it. I wonder if a map would help sort it out?

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 20:35
If you press the pedal down when not running you can hear the switch click under your foot...but if your in eco mode and press the pedal have way in a rush it kicks down and takes off.....but i know if i am getting a move on and shes reving over half way if i stamp the go go pedal down she sucks the juice in and drops down the gear till she hits the red in the rpm...even though the mpg says 6-9mpg you have to love that roar of the 5 cylinders..

mick850R
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 21:50
got too agree mate mine is near the base of the pedal but can feel the difference in pressure you have to use.

AndysR
Sunday 24th July 2011, 00:38
Nope its certainly not, and when you most need it, it wont do it. I wonder if a map would help sort it out?

I don't really find that with mine, generally I drive the car in economy but if I want to go for it I stick it in sport mode and floor the throttle and off it goes...
One particular way I like doing this is accelerating out of a 30 into a national speed limit, stick it in sport just before the national then as you exit the 30 into the 60/70 floor the throttle and activate kickdown, the box always goes into 1st and the car takes off and away you go.. lol

LiamT4
Sunday 24th July 2011, 00:40
On my s70 theres a big difference between eco and sports, very eager to kickdown when its in sports. Sometimes to much, especially in the wet!

volvokid
Sunday 24th July 2011, 00:46
I don't really find that with mine, generally I drive the car in economy but if I want to go for it I stick it in sport mode and floor the throttle and off it goes...
One particular way I like doing this is accelerating out of a 30 into a national speed limit, stick it in sport just before the national then as you exit the 30 into the 60/70 floor the throttle and activate kickdown, the box always goes into 1st and the car takes off and away you go.. lol

Yeah but is it not something like 34 and it wont drop down? i use to love flooring it from 30

AndysR
Sunday 24th July 2011, 00:47
On my s70 theres a big difference between eco and sports, very eager to kickdown when its in sports. Sometimes to much, especially in the wet!

I know what you mean you can "load" the gear alot more before the box will drop a cog in economy mode. In sports mode however it is a lot more eager to drop a gear, which tbh I don't really like so I usually stick to economy mode, generally speaking if I want to accelerate quickly the kickdown is nearly just as effective in economy mode as it is in sports anyway.

nottsgreent5
Sunday 24th July 2011, 06:52
ive found the same problem with mine but after tightning up the actuator abit it now seems a bit better and kicks down when i want it to nearly all the time lol

martybelfastt5
Sunday 24th July 2011, 21:27
tighten the slack out of the accelerator cable and the kickdown one makes a huge difference well did on my dads autos gs300 xjs ect i also tighten cables on everything i buy,,lol

AndysR
Sunday 24th July 2011, 21:58
tighten the slack out of the accelerator cable and the kickdown one makes a huge difference well did on my dads autos gs300 xjs ect i also tighten cables on everything i buy,,lol

I should imagine it did, only thing is the 850's don't have a kickdown cable to adjust its done by an electric switch ;)

martybelfastt5
Monday 25th July 2011, 19:45
I should imagine it did, only thing is the 850's don't have a kickdown cable to adjust its done by an electric switch ;)
aahh! learn somthing new every day lol