PDA

View Full Version : Is it goosed??

danny-R
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 12:17
Well some of you may know i have bought another t5, to cut a long story a short after upping the fuel and boost on the turbo tuner ecu and taking it out for a test run it developed a knocking noise from the block which starts getting louder about 2500rpms. it still drives but feels down in power i've took a short vid mainly to show leet5r but maybe somebody else could confirm what it is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qvxMAsHAqk

sorry about the quality

any help much appreciated.
danny

leet5r
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 12:28
its got forged rods and new big ends , take the sump off and have a look for any movement in the mains and big ends

danny-R
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 12:31
Will try that mate cheers. It sounds like a bent rod but like you say they're forged so don't think it's that.

leet5r
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 12:36
how much boost was it

danny-R
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 12:38
1.3 in 3rd and 1.5 in 4th.....

leet5r
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 12:58
not to much really , av had that on standard rods

danny-R
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 13:06
Lol the standard guage was like yours when i first went out in yours.
almost horizontal :)

wegal
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 14:25
possible big end bearing, think as mentioned if you take sump off and look for movement you may be able to see it.

nottsgreent5
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 14:34
mine was making a similer noise to that after driving it very hard at simler boost levels turned the boost down on it and the noise went away and ive done about 1000 miles in it turned boost back up and was all ok till yesterday and after another hard thashing its making the noise again but aint quite as bad as yours

danny-R
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 14:46
possible big end bearing, think as mentioned if you take sump off and look for movement you may be able to see it.

I just find it strange how it could be this since they were replaced when engine was rebuilt by previous owner less than 3000 miles ago, worth a shot though cheers

danny-R
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 14:49
mine was making a similer noise to that after driving it very hard at simler boost levels turned the boost down on it and the noise went away and ive done about 1000 miles in it turned boost back up and was all ok till yesterday and after another hard thashing its making the noise again but aint quite as bad as yours

I suppose I was driving it very hard lol prior to the noise but that's what they're for. I've flashed the standard map back onto the ecu and it's still doing it. I'm going back out now to make a better video on my phone just hope i can upload it, watch this space....

cheers
danny

danny-R
Sunday 24th July 2011, 08:32
I have had my mate look at it and straight away he said it's big end bearings.
Now i need to decide what i'm doing with the car, either keep it and repair it or just cut my losses now and get rid. Maybe if it was just a new head needed i could manage on my own but not a full engine out, rebuild then put back in i wouldn't know where to start.
cheers
danny

leet5r
Sunday 24th July 2011, 11:23
ya need to see how bad the damage is , rods, big ends and a crank at the very worst , the rods might be okay if its just the shells thats gone

graemewelch
Sunday 24th July 2011, 12:50
what ever you do dont rev the engine like that. dont even start it. you doing even more damage. drop the sump and take out the shells. youll see which one has been knocking by the scorch mark on shells. you might have to inspect closly but the signs will be there. i would of give the engine a few more thousand miles to be run in befor turning up the boost.

was the engine rebuilt by a engine builder or joe bloggs

danny-R
Sunday 24th July 2011, 14:59
The lad was a mechanic but certainly no engine builder.
I don't doubt they were done just strange they failed so soon
I'm going to see if theres space in my mates unit later.
cheers
danny

graemewelch
Sunday 24th July 2011, 21:36
it could be no fault of the guy who done it. could be somit as daft as oil pump failure. if i was you i would bother with a new block and crank. id get a crank and conrod regrind and fit over sized shells. fit new bolts when you reasemble the big ends. if theve have streached then that may of coursed the shells to go

danny-R
Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 21:52
Well, I've had the sump off today and number 2 and 4 shells had gone and there was some major score marks on the crank. I'm going to have to take the engine out and put the bottom end back in that I got from smithness not sure if i'm going to put the kalmar union rods back in or save them for when i get another estate.
That's me not going to santa pod on the weekend :(