PDA

View Full Version : s60 t5 exhaust man on a 850 t5?

merc85
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:24
As above does fitting a s60 t5 exhaust manifold to a 850 t5 have any improvement?

Also will the 15g turbo still mate upto the s60's manifold?

Any help apreciated as i've a spare engine which i want to be improving.

p fandango
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:26
As above does fitting a s60 t5 exhaust manifold to a 850 t5 have any improvement?

Also will the 15g turbo still mate upto the s60's manifold?

Any help apreciated as i've a spare engine which i want to be improving.
it will be better, i've got a S60R manifold on mine & yes the turbo will fit straight on

AndysR
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:26
I've got an S60R manifold on mine and that's mated to a 15g. Can't see why the mating surface would be any different on a T5, I would guess they're the same as an ME7 manifold?

merc85
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:29
is the exhaust manifold froma s60 t5 any different from one from a s60r? just wanna make sure before i buy one lol

AndysR
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:31
I'd hazard a guess and say yes, but that's purely a guess based on the fact it seems the R one is the sought after one, for all I know they could be identical..lol

p fandango
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:34
is the exhaust manifold froma s60 t5 any different from one from a s60r? just wanna make sure before i buy one lol

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/info/1860.jpg
original & S60R

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/info/japmanifold.jpg
ME7, which as Andy said i assume the S60 T-5 has

merc85
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:39
ok s60r manifold it is then lol

p fandango
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:40
think i paid just over £300 for mine from Rufe, did get 3 keyrings with it as well lol

AndysR
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:41

You might need to dig deep and keep your eyes peeled... lol

AndysR
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:42
think i paid just over £300 for mine from Rufe, did get 3 keyrings with it as well lol

Indeed, I got mine from Rufe along with all the required gaskets. Half the reason I went for the S60R manifold was because it was cheaper than the standard 850R item... Might be because of the demand that there is for one though I guess.... lol

antz
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:48
just got myself one of these S60R manifolds for my 240 T5 project :)

deathrider311271
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:53
why on earth would u want to fit a S60R manifold when the opening is oval?
the turbo side is round, so subsequently flowing round to round will be better than flowing oval to round.

I personally would get an early ME7 manifold and port it to the turbo housing alot better flow and cheaper.

p fandango
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 23:02
why on earth would u want to fit a S60R manifold when the opening is oval?
the turbo side is round, so subsequently flowing round to round will be better than flowing oval to round.
if you look at the original manifold you'll notice the 3 ports actually form an oval as well, but going horizontal instead of vertical. At a guess having the exit shaped to force all the air to hit one place on the turbine instead of spread across the whole blade must make a difference

AndysR
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 23:04
if you look at the original manifold you'll notice the 3 ports actually form an oval as well, but going horizontal instead of vertical. At a guess having the exit shaped to force all the air to hit one place on the turbine instead of spread across the whole blade must make a difference

The ME7 manifold also has two ports exiting at the top where as the R manifold has one, this will have an effect on flow I'd have thought, that said has anyone actually done a back to back flow test on all of these manifolds or is it just assumptions?

deathrider311271
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 23:07

i personally think the manifold was designed for a different turbo originally and volvo had so many of these made they had to use them. Oval going to round just will not flow correctly or economically. Match it on the other hand and it frees it all up thus better flowing.

I was talking to someone last night about the later S60/V70R manifolds and he said exactly the same, it just doesnt make sence

p fandango
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 23:10
has anyone actually done a back to back flow test on all of these manifolds or is it just assumptions?
sure it was IPD who used to sell S60R manifolds as an upgrade (which is where i got the pic of the 2 together) & they quoted 35% better airflow

antz
Thursday 21st July 2011, 18:57
sure it was IPD who used to sell S60R manifolds as an upgrade (which is where i got the pic of the 2 together) & they quoted 35% better airflow

they still do sell them and they arent cheap.