PDA

View Full Version : Its been a bad day

Dave86
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 20:54
Left for work this morning and all was well until i got 2 miles up the road and the car started to misfire BIG TIME sounded like it was only running on 1 or 2 cylinders to pulled over had a look about, couldn't find anything untoward, plugged in my cheapo code reader came up with something like 'Random / Intermittent misfire'. started it again didn't sound too healthy so rang the R.A.C. They turned up about 20 mins later and said ' I think its either a blown turbo, blocked cat or the heads gone' i though oh £$%& that's just what i need, so he followed me to my local garage and informed me that while he was following me there was bits of molten metal coming out my exhaust and off he went. When the garage opened gave it to the bloke about 5 hours late got a call so went round there he said 3 ignition coils have packed up and the cats blocked solid that will be £980 please. bought the coils off them for £168 +VAT and chugged home and proceeded to remove the exhaust and smash the cat out got nearly all of it out couple of little bits left, put it all back together and replaced the 3 coils. started it up sounded much better revved it up perfect i thought, took it out for a test travelled about half a mile and it all started again. so now i dont know what to do, cant do any more today im knackered lol
any ideas people?

read the codes again and got:
P1357 IDM Pulsewidth Not Defined
P1358 Ignition Diagnostic Monitor Signal out of Self-Test Range
P1355 Ignition Coil D - Primary circuit fault
P0300 Misfire, at least one cylinder Emissions impact / catalytic converter damage

t5 stealth
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 21:03
id take it back to garage as they charged you for the job and its still not right,

Dave86
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 21:13
they didnt do the work i did, i just bought the new coils from them.

AndysR
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 21:31
I can't believe all three coils have failed at the same time.... unless you've got an electrical short.... I hate to say this but have you checked your wiring for the battery relocation, perhaps it's shorting to earth somewhere, if it is you may have killed your ECU..

Dave86
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 21:37
the good news never ends lol. did think that but it was occasionally misfiring last week changed all the plugs last night sometimes it seems fine other times i think its just gonna die on me

merc85
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 21:43
You sure the Centre silencer is not blocked with pieces of the cat, to prove this seperate centre silencer from the cat and see if it's any better.

If they were cheap coil's which there are a lot about, then yes it is possible that they are playing up.

What make were the coil's

Dave86
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 21:52
You sure the Centre silencer is not blocked with pieces of the cat, to prove this seperate centre silencer from the cat and see if it's any better.

If they were cheap coil's which there are a lot about, then yes it is possible that they are playing up.

What make were the coil's

hasnt got a middle silencer has it cut out a awhile ago, old ones were volvo new ones are 'beru' or something they certainly wasn't cheap though. nearly £200 for the 3

will check everything again tomorrow

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:57
I feel your pain. The coil packs are a pain in the butt. I finally said enough is enough last year & changed all five. So far touch would they are still holding together even though no. 5 nibble a plug the other day.

I hope it all works out soon. HLM sell coil packs at either 33 plus vat for patent part coil packs or 50 quid for the volvo oem ones.

t5_monkey
Thursday 21st July 2011, 11:25
Could be worse! you got a free de-cat

might still pass the emissions on the MOT without the cat so all is not lost.

Dave86
Thursday 21st July 2011, 12:47
Well it all seems to be ok now, had a loose ground on the cam cover and one of the wires to one of the coils had been trapped and had an open bit on it so may have been shorting out. Put a blanking plug in the hole that the second sensor in the exhaust came from and secured the sensor under the bonnet. Checked everything else out all seems ok.

Dave86
Thursday 21st July 2011, 18:12
bit of an update:
car is up and running but something feels wrong cant really explain it as i cant find anything physically wrong with it. I think i should put the 2nd o2 sensor back in the exhaust with a spacer found this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O2-Spacer-Lambda-Sensor-extender-HHO-Cell-Fuel-Saver-/370528626109?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56453a25bd#ht_574wt_1139 (Link)

but it doesn't look very long, not that i know how long it should be so should i get 1 or 2 or just stick the sensor back in as it is, as i haven't tried that yet just assumed it wasn't going to like it so didn't bother

AndysR
Thursday 21st July 2011, 21:01
Is the sensor thats unfitted secured in the engine bay still plugged in?

merc85
Thursday 21st July 2011, 21:21
Beru are a spot on replacement, wouldnt hesitate fitting them, Good Quality product and oe to alot of top line Manufactures.

Dave86
Thursday 21st July 2011, 21:34
Is the sensor thats unfitted secured in the engine bay still plugged in?

yeah its plugged in

Beru are a spot on replacement, wouldnt hesitate fitting them, Good Quality product and oe to alot of top line Manufactures.

That's good news then

AndysR
Thursday 21st July 2011, 21:55
yeah its plugged in

That's good news then

That's probably your problem then. The ECU is seeing the gas content in the exhaust on the primary sensor and seeing a different reading on the secondary sensor and trying to compensate. Your probably running rich as it will be seeing vast amounts of o2 and nothing else. I would get it refitted to the exhaust asap.

Dave86
Thursday 21st July 2011, 23:02
That's probably your problem then. The ECU is seeing the gas content in the exhaust on the primary sensor and seeing a different reading on the secondary sensor and trying to compensate. Your probably running rich as it will be seeing vast amounts of o2 and nothing else. I would get it refitted to the exhaust asap.

Ordered a spacer for it today so as soon as it arrives i will put it back in. Might try and screw it half in tomorrow and see what happens