PDA

View Full Version : Big Brakes Surley Must be a Cheaper upgrade

merc85
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 23:33
To revive a old thread where member's were talking about twin pot audi vw caliper's... did anyone find a suitible caliper carrier to accomidate said caliper's?

v70 Ph2 Carrier's are different think they messured 110mm where are 850's are 106mm between bolt holes. (from memory).

I work in the Motorfactor trade and cannot find a spec/aplication which show's the distance between bolt holes/mounting holes to hub of said Caliper's. Dis'c are not a problem i can match 330mm disc's with the correct offset and stud pattern.

Really cant afford £800 to £1,900 for brakes currently runing 302's but really these are not up to scratch imho.

855 t5 Manual 1994
Any imput gratefully received

Volvostorm
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 23:41
What pads do you have in the 302's? Might be worth changing them first.

Ferrodo ds2500 is a good pad.

AndysR
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 23:51
If you haven't already got them fit a set if Ferrodo pads and im sure you'll notice a difference in braking performance. I've got them on mine and there was a noticeable difference in braking performance.

merc85
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 23:54
Trw, Lucas Pads in the front, Fade like hell when they get hot, it's not that i drive hard, But if i need to stop i wanna get the feel throught the car that she will pull me up.

It simply doesn't want to. my friend has a Seat leon Cupra (58 reg), and just moving it off the drive it nearly put's me through the windscreen if i tap the brake pedol.

850 brakes are definatley a weak point imho.

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 23:56
im going to start hitting srap yards soon as my brakes are a must at the minute dont want to do the 302s and someone cracking this,,,lol they have to be out there as its been done! why cant we track these down,, do carriers not have part numbers like calipers?

AndysR
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 00:02
Trw, Lucas Pads in the front, Fade like hell when they get hot, it's not that i drive hard, But if i need to stop i wanna get the feel throught the car that she will pull me up.

It simply doesn't want to. my friend has a Seat leon Cupra (58 reg), and just moving it off the drive it nearly put's me through the windscreen if i tap the brake pedol.

850 brakes are definatley a weak point imho.

Umm I can see what your saying about the effectiveness of the brakes on the Cupra, just don't be fooled by the over assisted servo operation of a modern car as it can be quite deceptive... That said the Cupras have four pots don't they? I'd also recommend you fit braided brake lines if you haven't already... Scrap those Lucas pads and fit something decent ;)

cherry1809
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 00:05
Porsche big reds and S60R discs come in a lot cheaper than that price too.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8251/bbklr-big-brake-kit-caliper-brackets-850-70

merc85
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 00:05
Yeas sure they have part number's, but not the dimensions, 302's are better than 280's but when they get hot the disc's still judder and brake fade is apparent.

In the aftermarket i cant find any sizes of carriers (mounting holes) that match the 850 hubs.

Porsche 928 caliper's are used, but the carrier are also only availible from porsche. £££ i can get the brembo's for £200 each.

s60r/v70r ph2 Also have brembo's similar price but again the carrier's mounting point's are to far apart.

You could fit the hub''s from a s60r but the abs pick up is prob different and so would the track rod ends etc, which all mount to the hub.

cherry1809
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 00:14
IPD stock brackets to take the Porsche Calipers. Check the link :)

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 00:49
found these people tho all volvo stuff is 06 on,,,
http://www.compbrake.co.uk/index.php?searchStr=volvo&_a=viewCat&Submit=Go

p fandango
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 05:30
s60r/v70r ph2 Also have brembo's similar price but again the carrier's mounting point's are to far apart.
the rears fit but you need to cut the splash guard, forgot about this myself

edit = looks like you do need brackets LINK (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=74906), but still going to see how much i can get the calipers for

swampy
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 22:04
If your getting fade then changing the calipers for multi pot items wont help.

To combot that you want some decent fast road pads, mintex 1144 ferodo d72020 i think or pagid rs 4 2 blue pads (fantastic pad but expensive)
couple them up with good quality pads, a change of fluid and maybe some braided lines as these dont expand so much as rubber ones when the fluid gets warm.

The larger multi pot caliper disk will disipate the heat better but will still fade unless the pad compound atleast is uprated.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 23:54
And bigger brakes lead to bigger wheels, I had 17" tethys on mine, now I've bought some AP Racing discs and calipers, I've had to get some TD pro race wheels, as the tethys won't fit over the caliper.