PDA

View Full Version : rica or not

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 09:18
hope this is not such a dumb question...but...how would i check that an 850 T5 i have just bought that had been advertised as having stg 2 rica acctualy has said chipped ecu, yes it does feel a bit quicker than my standard t5 but it has a mbc and with the boost quite a way up could that not be making more of a difference to the feeling of more hp as once in the boost is a bit wild, would there be a stamp or some kind of marker identifying a chipped ecu,
cheers Dave

JelT5
Sunday 17th July 2011, 09:35
Rica ecus usually have a powered by rica sticker attached on the side somewhere. HTH

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:00
will have a look at this to confirm and as the car is still "foreign" to me i don't know of any other upgrades other than coldair intake and 3" cat back but i do know it has the standard orange injectors that when running high boost results in a "cut" well before red line, would i benefit from larger white/green injectors or is it possible to be an issue elsewhere ??

JelT5
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:09
To my mind, stage two would be bigger turbo, turbo back exhaust and bigger injectors minimum.

When I was running orange injectors with my 18T and (alleged) stage two map I was getting fuel cut at relatively low boost levels (1.1-2bar). New map, blue injectors and voila, problem solved. It's possible the mbc isn't helping regards the boost cut.

p fandango
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:09
will have a look at this to confirm and as the car is still "foreign" to me i don't know of any other upgrades other than coldair intake and 3" cat back but i do know it has the standard orange injectors that when running high boost results in a "cut" well before red line, would i benefit from larger white/green injectors or is it possible to be an issue elsewhere ??
sounds like a standard map to me if your hitting boost cut

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:18
i'm not suggesting any skulduggery on behalf of the chap i bought the car from..but it was the guy that was at the time boasting to whoop every one at shakespeare (fyldtowbars) and the car was once owned by turbo technics engineer etc. I have since turned the boost down quite a bit just to avoid a spike that would ruin my day,sounds like i may disconnect it altogether for now and see how it is on the original bc

p fandango
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:23
i'm not suggesting any skulduggery on behalf of the chap i bought the car from..but it was the guy that was at the time boasting to whoop every one at shakespeare (fyldtowbars) and the car was once owned by turbo technics engineer etc. I have since turned the boost down quite a bit just to avoid a spike that would ruin my day,sounds like i may disconnect it altogether for now and see how it is on the original bc
it should be boosting just off the end of the white with a remap. Boost cut on the stock ecu cuts in about the end of the white

T5frankie
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:24
its not remapped as pedro said if its cutting on you like that

T5frankie
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:25

has it got a boost gauge? set it to around 14psi (1 bar)

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 10:32
it has got a boost guage with the dash guage plumbed up in tandem, the dash guage goes straight off the scale and the aftermarket is in such a bad place i can't see it from the driving position...sounds like i'm going to have to take someone with me as the only dial the mrs can read is the clock ,the last time i asked her what the boost read she replied "ten past two"??

Santa
Sunday 17th July 2011, 13:18
..but it was the guy that was at the time boasting to whoop every one at shakespeare

We would probably know of the car if that were the case

claymore
Sunday 17th July 2011, 13:24
We would probably know of the car if that were the case
It was fludetowbars, he was making all sorts of outrageous claims about the car

JelT5
Sunday 17th July 2011, 15:08
It was fludetowbars, he was making all sorts of outrageous claims about the car

Yes he was wasn't he- seems he sold his car before he embarrassed himself any further lol

theflyingbrick
Sunday 17th July 2011, 15:31
hope this is not such a dumb question...but...how would i check that an 850 T5 i have just bought that had been advertised as having stg 2 rica acctualy has said chipped ecu, yes it does feel a bit quicker than my standard t5 but it has a mbc and with the boost quite a way up could that not be making more of a difference to the feeling of more hp as once in the boost is a bit wild, would there be a stamp or some kind of marker identifying a chipped ecu,
cheers Dave

i had the excact same problem other than my zorst and mbc set at 13psi id get boost cut which really did kick in at the worst possible time,another forum member told me the standard ecu was limited to 14.7 psi so if yours boosts higher then chances are its had something done to it!! my stock boost gauge only goes just over half way into the white,hope this helps

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:07
well I've had a passenger that was keeping an eye on the boost gauge and even after i had turned down the boost quite a few clicks it was still hitting 17/18 before cutting ,so I've turned it down one more click so that the boost holds steady just level with the end of the white bar on the stock gauge ,although i haven't had the ecu out yet to check any stickers etc it still a lot quicker than my 850 saloon that was claimed to have had a mild volvo tune from new then given to a doctor on demo as a response car..........or I'm just gullible , a word i'm told is not in the English dictionary...!!

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:10
just to add....if the meet is still on down in Avon would there be a chance to tag along/meet up with a few members (possible tips/bit of advice) I'll have the kids with me as the mrs works Sundays but it sounds like a blast and I'm sure they'll enjoy it too??

Santa
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:16
just to add....if the meet is still on down in Avon would there be a chance to tag along/meet up with a few members (possible tips/bit of advice) I'll have the kids with me as the mrs works Sundays but it sounds like a blast and I'm sure they'll enjoy it too??

Yeah 24th is still on (weather depending) pop your name on the thread :-)

T5frankie
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:24
well I've had a passenger that was keeping an eye on the boost gauge and even after i had turned down the boost quite a few clicks it was still hitting 17/18 before cutting ,so I've turned it down one more click so that the boost holds steady just level with the end of the white bar on the stock gauge ,although i haven't had the ecu out yet to check any stickers etc it still a lot quicker than my 850 saloon that was claimed to have had a mild volvo tune from new then given to a doctor on demo as a response car..........or I'm just gullible , a word i'm told is not in the English dictionary...!!

when you say cutting is it sudden or does it stutter?

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:31
very sudden and i haven't kept it planted to see the outcome (incase its an unpleasant one) just shift up straight away

T5frankie
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:37
very sudden and i haven't kept it planted to see the outcome (incase its an unpleasant one) just shift up straight away

the end of the white is where it needs to be thats about it before boost cut, sounds like your car is standard mate get an ecu from hlm £150 then no more of this ussue, if your car was remapped it WOULDN'T have any boost cut

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:48
nice....it does make sense though as when he was making "irrational" claims about his pace he did post that by the meet on the 11th july he would have had his remap done by then and yet said in his ad that the rica had been done at 144k so mmmm...... 30k in a week!!??? feel a bit cheated really sounds like his 1/4 mile claim wasn't all he was boasting about but I'll still have a look at the ecu out of curiosity......

T5frankie
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:54
it only take 15 secs to get the ecu out

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:56
i'm just gonna get straight on that...like now...brb

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 18:06
oh well there you go no such marker on the ecu other than the bosch codes, hopefully without breaking forum rules i would say mr fyldtowars is a liar....i suppose though i should have known better..hindsight is a wonderful thing...looks like a phone call to Hammish is in order...bugger.Many thanks to all of your help by the way

Jamest5r
Sunday 17th July 2011, 19:26
oh well there you go no such marker on the ecu other than the bosch codes, hopefully without breaking forum rules i would say mr fyldtowars is a liar....i suppose though i should have known better..hindsight is a wonderful thing...looks like a phone call to Hammish is in order...bugger.Many thanks to all of your help by the way

It does sound like you have a standard ecu but most mapped ecu's dont have stickers you should look for scratch marks by the little tabs that have to be moved to open it.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 17th July 2011, 19:31

As santa20 says's its on Sunday 24th most will be there 9am onwards till around 5pm.

All are welcome racing or not. Always a good laugh and a chance to have a chin wag, pint and a meal in a local tend to be on the cards afterwards.

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 19:39
It does sound like you have a standard ecu but most mapped ecu's dont have stickers you should look for scratch marks by the little tabs that have to be moved to open it.

i'm gonna check for that as well

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 19:44
sounds like a good bash with plenty turning out, would be a shame to miss out as it would be my first time at a meet, i'll err on the side of caution and put my self down for a 50/50 in-case anything in the week changes(work at three sisters can change on a whim)...just gonna pop out and check for any tinkering with the ecu (out of despperatly hoping i've not been fibbed to)..

floppy69
Sunday 17th July 2011, 19:56
unfortunately James unless the chap that opened up the ecu was incredibly careful or a magician it looks totally untouched....bugger again and HML it is..