PDA

View Full Version : Why have one air filter when you can have two :)

Dave86
Saturday 16th July 2011, 18:40
Had a busy day yesterday, first i relocated the battery to the boot which was a pain in the @rse but got there eventually anyway it had to go as i needed more room under the bonnet for this...

11235 11236

3" all the way turbo seems to spool up quicker but that may just be me.
So what do you think?

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 16th July 2011, 18:56
I reckon less power now as you will suck in more heat from the engine bay lol.

donny
Saturday 16th July 2011, 18:57
that looks really good bet it sounds great were did you get that from??.i want one.:B_thumb:

bonelorry
Saturday 16th July 2011, 18:57
Put the standard airbox back on, Problem solved ;)

deathrider311271
Saturday 16th July 2011, 18:58
looks ok apart from having to move the battery, altho i cant see any advantage in having 2, i could understand it on a V6/V8/V12. Is there any provable advantage?

Simon

siamblue
Saturday 16th July 2011, 19:29
I would've put a single larger one on, but you can only suck in a certain amount of air at full pelt. a cold air feed from your lower bumper air dam could feed one of those filters and the normal air feed pipe can feed the other ;)

Gary.

PS Being ME7 I am really surprised you are not having any problems especially with the Dump valve.

p fandango
Saturday 16th July 2011, 19:41
Had a busy day yesterday, first i relocated the battery to the boot which was a pain in the @rse but got there eventually anyway it had to go as i needed more room under the bonnet for this...

11235 11236

3" all the way turbo seems to spool up quicker but that may just be me.
So what do you think?
looks good but bin them heat shields, & don't worry too much about heat soak. Heat will build up while sat in traffic but you'll soon get rid of that once you start moving (especially if you remove the weather seal at the rear of the bonnet ;))

si850r
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:13
looks good but bin them heat shields, & don't worry too much about heat soak. Heat will build up while sat in traffic but you'll soon get rid of that once you start moving (especially if you remove the weather seal at the rear of the bonnet ;))

sounds the mutts nuts too when removed....!!!!

p fandango
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:16
sounds the mutts nuts too when removed....!!!!
did we remove the rubber seal at the rear of the engine bay or the bonnet insulation on yours?

si850r
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:52
we did both mate.....i left them in my boot for a bout a month after, and when i finally went into the boot again wondered wat the f***k they were...

Dave86
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:09
that looks really good bet it sounds great were did you get that from??.i want one.:B_thumb:

got it from auto silicon hoses wasnt cheap though lol

I would've put a single larger one on, but you can only suck in a certain amount of air at full pelt. a cold air feed from your lower bumper air dam could feed one of those filters and the normal air feed pipe can feed the other ;)

Gary.

PS Being ME7 I am really surprised you are not having any problems especially with the Dump valve.

will sort out cold feeds soon spent more than enough money this week

had no problems with the dump valve although i think it may well be down to where i put it (Bottom Intercooler Hose), i think the people that have problems with it are the ones who put it on the top intercooler hose (where it normally goes)

yeah i wasnt too sure on the heat shields, might have try removing the weather seal.

Anyway i like to be different lol

AndysR
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:15
That's a different set up, don't think I've seen it done on a Volvo. Got any pictures of how and where the battery are now you've relocated it?

Dave86
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:26
That's a different set up, don't think I've seen it done on a Volvo. Got any pictures of how and where the battery are now you've relocated it?

battery is now is an ally case that strapped over the top of the battery with threaded rod either end and plated under the floor. its going nowhere lol will sort out pic tomorrow

p fandango
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:44
a pic of mine

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Boot/10224_1220799116026_1110365021_678863_4917917_n.jp g

AndysR
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:47
a pic of mine

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Boot/10224_1220799116026_1110365021_678863_4917917_n.jp g

I mean't the twin air filter set up, I know you've got your battery in the boot you show off! :bath: lol
Russ also has his battery in the boot ;)

WOODY T5
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:50
U can allways Count on perdo for the pics guys lol

The Flying Moose
Sunday 17th July 2011, 00:15
Definitely a nice spot of welding. Not my cup of tea cant see the advantages either but the magpies will certainly have that bad boy away ;)

JelT5
Sunday 17th July 2011, 05:34
a pic of mine

Ho ;)

p fandango
Sunday 17th July 2011, 06:32
Got any pictures of how and where the battery are now you've relocated it?

I mean't the twin air filter set up, I know you've got your battery in the boot you show off! :bath: lol
i thought it was me going round the twist at first lol

JelT5
Sunday 17th July 2011, 06:37
i thought it was me going round the twist at first lol

Tell us something we don't know ;)

p fandango
Sunday 17th July 2011, 06:43
Tell us something we don't know ;)
OK OK, perhaps i should change it to "i thought it was just me who was round the twist" lol

grainqey
Monday 18th July 2011, 00:08
urm...i hate to burst your bubble mate but you wont get any gain running two filters because of the fact you are trying to get air from two pipes into 1 pipe which is half the cross sectional area of the two pipes with the cone filters, if i was you i'd just try and get the maximum possible flow through 1 filter as it's the same cross sectional area as the filter pipe to the MAF and turbo.
thanks

wegal
Monday 18th July 2011, 14:29
urm...i hate to burst your bubble mate but you wont get any gain running two filters because of the fact you are trying to get air from two pipes into 1 pipe which is half the cross sectional area of the two pipes with the cone filters, if i was you i'd just try and get the maximum possible flow through 1 filter as it's the same cross sectional area as the filter pipe to the MAF and turbo.
thanks

its easier to breath through two straws than one.........
its easier to breath through 2 nostrils than 1...............

its ok im just takin the rip, i have no idea if it would aid airflow or not, I suspect not, but thats simply an uneducated guess.