PDA

View Full Version : Lacking power

01c70t5
Friday 5th August 2005, 13:15
My C70 seems to be running a little low on oomph, it's more noticeable up in 5th over 120mph. It just seems to take an age to accelerate further. It also seems to really tail off at 135ish.

It's creeping up to its 40k service, with a 2k to go. Would it be worth looking at a service now, or could there be a little more to it?

All things standard so far, although whether the years warranty is worth throwing away yet I'm not sure about.

All suggestions welcome...

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 5th August 2005, 13:48
My C70 seems to be running a little low on oomph, it's more noticeable up in 5th over 120mph. It just seems to take an age to accelerate further. It also seems to really tail off at 135ish.

It's creeping up to its 40k service, with a 2k to go. Would it be worth looking at a service now, or could there be a little more to it?

All things standard so far, although whether the years warranty is worth throwing away yet I'm not sure about.

All suggestions welcome...Your service will cost about £300 i guess ? I would spend £600 on the rica and have it serviced at VT while it's there.

01c70t5
Friday 5th August 2005, 13:55
Local dealer quoted 325... didn't think it was too bad until I thought about it

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th August 2005, 01:03
VT will be able to do the service and work out any power loses - you may have a duff sensor or weak actuator or the dreaded ETM problem. Until you go you will not know.

chrisall
Monday 8th August 2005, 16:28
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the "dreaded ETM problem"? Although changing the plugs on mine made a massive improvement I still feel that mine is down on power. I've been driving my girlfriend's x-type all weekend & it seems way quicker than my T5, though on paper it shouldn't be. The Jag is also silky smooth whereas mine still feels a bit on the rough side.

Cheers,
Chrisall.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th August 2005, 16:41
What plugs did you use?

The ETM - electronic throttle module is a stepper motor that controls the butterfly valve on the throttle. There is no throttle cable as such - the system is drive-by-wire.
Roughly the size of a filofax - there have been many occasions where the control parts (the potentiometers) of the ETM have worn and no longer give accurate representation of the position/voltage coming from the accelerator pedal. This is a common fault and the units are expensive. There was a class action in the States where irate owners with the ME7 system were going after Volvo Corp, due to the reliability/durability of these units. Some had failed within 15K...

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=185&did=1142
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0505/06/1auto-170127.htm

I have disected a faulty one and sadly the design does not lend itself to longevity. Many are put off getting the MY2000+ cars due to this issue.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th August 2005, 16:47
Having said that the ME7 engine is better than the older B5234T5's found on the 850s etc - due to the stronger internals and variable valve timing on the head.

lance
Monday 8th August 2005, 16:56
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the "dreaded ETM problem"? Although changing the plugs on mine made a massive improvement I still feel that mine is down on power. I've been driving my girlfriend's x-type all weekend & it seems way quicker than my T5, though on paper it shouldn't be. The Jag is also silky smooth whereas mine still feels a bit on the rough side.

Cheers,
Chrisall.

Somthing cant be right Ive eatern Jag X types 3.0 for brekfast b4 I was modifed they should be quick but not T5 quick.
It might be more refined due to a 6 cylinders being slightly smoother than a 5 pot but , it may feel quicker because its lower to the floor and wont suffer turbo lag being N,A injection.
3.0 Jag 231 bhp 0-60 6.6secs 146mph so maybe is quicker if you are still standard.
Ive managed 0-60 in 5.6 secs in my T5 with RICA.
My mate as an ST200 mondeo I think same engine as a Jag 2.5 it was quick but not a patch on a rica T5.

chrisall
Monday 8th August 2005, 16:58
The plugs are NGK BKR7EVX, which I believe is the best plug to use. Another really dumb question - how do I confirm that it is an ME7 engine? The engine has B5234T3 on it & the car is a 1998 (August I think). I know that there is an ETM light on the dash that goes out when it is started & I have just bought an OBD2 diagnostic interface to connect to my laptop so I should be able to read any fault-codes stored .... we will see.

chrisall
Monday 8th August 2005, 17:02
it may feel quicker because its lower to the floor and wont suffer turbo lag being N,A injection

My T5 doesnt suffer any turbo-lag at all - in fact I honestly can't tell when the turbo is spooled-up. The Jag is a 2.5 & it honestly feels way-quicker than the T5. As for how close to the floor it is I would say that the T5 is lower, especially as it is a GT & I'm sure it has the lowered suspension.

Cheers,
Chrisall.

lance
Monday 8th August 2005, 17:37
Somthings not right then are sure its boosting at all cos it should be a lot quicker than a 2.5.