PDA

View Full Version : s60 t5 screeching.

ROZER
Friday 15th July 2011, 20:30
I have an s60t5 and have just had a custom catback made sounds nice but when getting to its full boost 10 psi it makes this nasty sound can only be described as a screeching sound . i can also smell something hot if that makes sense other than this car pulls like a train and holds boost fine but am a bit worried about this any ideas would be good .

graemewelch
Friday 15th July 2011, 20:38
that dosnt sound right. mines fitted with a sports cat and stainless exhaust and i get no odd noises. is it possible you have a dodgy boost pipe.

ROZER
Friday 15th July 2011, 21:06
it started this screeching just after i got this catback fitted was not doing it with the original system.it also holds boost well i have a boost gauge in car all pipework seems fine power seems up too. its doing my head in .

graemewelch
Saturday 16th July 2011, 11:11
is it possible the exhaust is rubbing on the body work somewear. its hard to try and diagnose with out hearing it. ive built a few exhaust systems for my s60 t5 untill i got the sound i wanted with it being restricted and ive never had screech and my latest system is my 3 rd exhaust.

whats the condition of your turbo. is it possible theres wear in the shaft. might be worth poping off the air intake pipe

ROZER
Saturday 16th July 2011, 15:31
its only done 79k no smoke from turbo . i thought it could be turbo but she pulls to hard and holds boost fine am thinking its the cat maybe when the guy fitted the exhaust back to the cat he might have damaged an already broken cat hence the screetching noise under hard acceleration and am sure i can smell the cat. if it is the cat the guys going to cut it out for me and make a slip on for mot time also he said something about fooling the o2 sensor with a resistor.

graemewelch
Saturday 16th July 2011, 16:48
youd be better off fitting a 100 cell cat rather than a decat. good look trying to fool the ecu. just my opinion but i think yr asking for trouble.

PHIL V70R
Saturday 16th July 2011, 17:59
if you have old one pop it on and see if it still makes the sound mate..

ROZER
Saturday 16th July 2011, 20:13
have you tried the decat option because am only thinking of cost its going to cost me 60 quid to do this how much is a 100 or 200cell cat going to set me back also i have a bsr ppc to check for bad codes.also thats a good point about the old system but the guy has got rid of it bugger.

graemewelch
Saturday 16th July 2011, 20:29
Havnt tried a decat. but i did do lots of reasearsh befor i started building my exhaust system and found these cars arnt decat friendly. i managed to build my 100cell down down for less than £90 but iwas lucky and got the cat off ebay for next to nothing and already had some 3" pipe. if your anywear near the north east you can try my cat and or exhaust. i doubt it would be. if it was to fail it would just colapse. if i was you id be nagging the bloke who built it as the problem didnt exsist befor you got the custom exhaust. is it power flow by any chane

deathrider311271
Saturday 16th July 2011, 20:48
Also on the cat front, your car wiil NOT pass the MOT from 1st january even if the emmissions are below the limit.

ROZER
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:27
the car is going back in to him on monday morning its the lads from the old peco company called cybox but he seems well they all do that the baypass method will work on the o2 sensor but am starting to think it might be better to fit a sports cat like you have said also i dont have to worry about m.o.t. time coming around but you said you would get a 100cell cat but from what am reading they seem to say 200cell for cars with obd11 or can you use 100cell ???? cheers for the advise by the way

graemewelch
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:17
im running a 100 cell but havnt had to mot the car yet but kalmar union cats are 100 cell but cost the earth (600 ish) and havnt hear of any mot horror stories. wear as a universal cat is around £100. still im not convinced the cat is yr problem. as mentioned earlier id be removing the turbo pipe that gose to the airbox and checking for play. i hope im wrong though. what year is yr car by the way

ROZER
Sunday 17th July 2011, 00:56
my car is a 53plate 2004 s60 t5 ex police car i have had 4 t5s this one is a gem got it on 66k geartronic hope to get this sorted then remap .will take hose off in the morning and check for play fingers crossed.

graemewelch
Sunday 17th July 2011, 20:34
how'd you get on you any nearer to sorting yr noise out. im on my 2nd s60. best two motor ive ever had. latest one is a 2005 t5 that had a bit tuning

ROZER
Sunday 17th July 2011, 23:40
well today has been rain all day so not had a chance to get the intake pipe off and check for play but its going in in the morning and am going to get him to put a 200cell cat on it and be done with it.decat sounded nice but might be a pain in the arse fooling the ecu plus i can only imagine what it was going to sound like because the cat on it now is huge.yes i have had 4 t5s 2 v70t5 and 2 s60 t5 must say the geartronic feels crazy fast compared to the manuals i have had i love this car never only wish you could fit a mbc to it and have some more boost for 20quid but looks like its going to cost lots more on a remap ye got to love the 850t5s for bang for buck.

graemewelch
Monday 18th July 2011, 11:03
make sure you keep the old cat. i was lucky when i bought mine. ill already had rica fitted so it cost nothing to go to stg2. it also had a fmic fitted. so i built my sports cat and exhaust and now have one very quick volvo.

ROZER
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 20:06
so i put the car in for the decat he had it all day rang me at 5.30 and said he cant do it for me as theres no pipe to attach it to said the flexi comes down from the turbo into the cat. and said the cat is huge takes up so much room he cant weld to tight so looks like am stuck cant even put a sports cat on it looks like i need downpipe .

graemewelch
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 20:34
ive got my old cat but dont no how much id want for it. why didnt he build you one from scratch. dosnt take long. personaly i think he's full of bull mate.

ROZER
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 20:55
well i found out that he is full of bull yes what down pipe have you got has it got the cat with it

graemewelch
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 21:46
yes cat still atached its in original condition. at a push a could prob build a you a sports cat if you wanted. or if you want to save a bit cash your welcome to drive to mine and try swapping the cat. heres my post code if want to check out the distance dh3 3uf

ROZER
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 21:59
ye that sounds good how much do you think it would cost to build sports cat only because am in wallasey think am about 3.5 hours away from you.

graemewelch
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 22:04
about 250 ish but id have to price up the parts. it wouldnt be built over night though. it would be something id have to do at work. dont have any welding gear at home now

ROZER
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 22:20
that sounds good would it be 3 inch downpipe to sports cat

ROZER
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 22:20
sorry 3 inch to 2.5

graemewelch
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 22:30
3" all the way. the 3" flange bolts up to the standard exhaust flange or a reducer could be fitted after the cat. choice is yours mate

ROZER
Tuesday 19th July 2011, 22:52
sounds like you have more of an idea than me mate so leave it to you its a 2.5" catback so what ever you think i appreciate this thanks for the help.

graemewelch
Friday 22nd July 2011, 17:59
ive had a rake about the garage and ive got the pipe and bends to build the down pipe. id need you to buy the flexi and cat. ive got the flanges but one will need to be machined. you can get away with out machining them but prob better if are machined. mine isnt and has given me no problems.

ROZER
Friday 22nd July 2011, 19:42
where would i get flexi from and what cat where to buy also dont you need the flexi and cat to weld together or would you prefer me to send you the money.

graemewelch
Friday 22nd July 2011, 20:48
prob best email me and ill show you wear they are with links then can decied how to go about it

graemewelch01@hotmail.com