PDA

View Full Version : stuttering and nearly stalling

deathrider311271
Friday 15th July 2011, 17:53
hi all

on the first start up of the day its getting increasingly difficult to start first time, altho always does start.

NO FAULTS RECORDED OR LIGHTS

The engine just does not want to pull from low revs especially when cold stutters really badly cold or warm. Also when pulling up to stop just when i dip the clutch it drops down to approx 200rpm.

All service parts have been replaced in the last 3 weeks inc fuel filter and all gen Volvo items used.

Other parts replaced all gen Volvo again:

Thermostat
Cam position sensor
both lambdas gen bosch
Sensor in thermostat housing cant think what its called at the moment
All new coil packs
Had injectors cleaned also upgraded to whites
Compression test done all ok there
All Vac lines replaced.

Now my thoughts are either fuel pump on its way out or fuel pressure regulator?????

anyone had this problem?

cheers

Simon

mightywolf
Friday 15th July 2011, 23:44
couldn't be the idle air control valve could it? You could try giving it a clean for nowt.
Take it off and blast some brake/clutch cleaner through it. It could just be gummed up and sticking a bit. A cheap check to rule it out?

deathrider311271
Saturday 16th July 2011, 00:16
sorry should have mentioned its ME7 engine so doesnt have idle control valve, distributor cap or arm. lot simpler if it does tho lol

mightywolf
Saturday 16th July 2011, 12:20
ahhh won't be that then!! :)

PHIL V70R
Saturday 16th July 2011, 12:24
what about the maf....makes all sorts of probs if thats on its way out mate..

pigfight
Saturday 16th July 2011, 13:01
hi deathrider,
now ive no personal experience with later models (me7), but weirdly, i was at my local indy volvo mechs yesterday, and he was telling me about an me7 car hed just had in with what sounds to be a similar problem, and it turned out to be that the owner had removed a fuse (cant remember which one, but it was out of the box that sits above the air filter ) and put it back in the wrong place.
hth, and best of luck in getting it sorted.

T5frankie
Saturday 16th July 2011, 13:07
mine had the same problem i ending up breaking it lol

deathrider311271
Saturday 16th July 2011, 13:43
what about the maf....makes all sorts of probs if thats on its way out mate..

wouldnt the maf throw up a fault code???

deathrider311271
Saturday 16th July 2011, 13:44
hi deathrider,
now ive no personal experience with later models (me7), but weirdly, i was at my local indy volvo mechs yesterday, and he was telling me about an me7 car hed just had in with what sounds to be a similar problem, and it turned out to be that the owner had removed a fuse (cant remember which one, but it was out of the box that sits above the air filter ) and put it back in the wrong place.
hth, and best of luck in getting it sorted.

will check all fuses altho i havent had any of them out recently lol

PHIL V70R
Saturday 16th July 2011, 17:48
wouldnt the maf throw up a fault code???

mine never did..got a new one and all has been ok..yes they should do if you need a lend of on i have one off an R...

deathrider311271
Sunday 17th July 2011, 13:27
mine never did..got a new one and all has been ok..yes they should do if you need a lend of on i have one off an R...

thanks Phil, whats the number on your R one?

cheers

simon

PHIL V70R
Sunday 17th July 2011, 14:46
hi mate sorry 4 late reply..217107...if thats any good...

deathrider311271
Sunday 17th July 2011, 16:51
Hi Phil

just put my original MAF back on after a good clean and its running 80% better than the new one i bought Gen Bosch just over a year ago.

Another thing is i have tested fuel pressure and the FPR is rated at 3bar???

mine is running at 4bar on tickover and 4.5bar at 2k rpm any thoughts there?

simon

PHIL V70R
Sunday 17th July 2011, 17:26
Hi Phil

just put my original MAF back on after a good clean and its running 80% better than the new one i bought Gen Bosch just over a year ago.

Another thing is i have tested fuel pressure and the FPR is rated at 3bar???

mine is running at 4bar on tickover and 4.5bar at 2k rpm any thoughts there?

simon
you have me on that one mate...some one will be along 2 put us right...

Niles
Monday 18th July 2011, 12:54
dodgy fuel pressure regulator then. Can you find the pressure regulators part number? I've got a few spare 1's. If you check the number ill see if I have 1 the same.

The Flying Moose
Monday 18th July 2011, 13:04
Is the fuel pressure regulator on the 70 series mounted to the injector rail like the 850 series? Also if the same I have a few spare too you can have.

deathrider311271
Monday 18th July 2011, 15:12
it most certainly is guys, i will have a look tomorrow, im too knackered to do it now + its raining again lol

Thanks Niles & TFM

Simon

deathrider311271
Sunday 24th July 2011, 11:26
Right folks

touch wood this problem is now sorted thanks to the long phone call between myself and Keith (The Hooded Claw) as he has already mentioned despite everyone saying the ME7 does NOT have MAP sensor, it has 2 one doubles as an atmospheric sensor and the other doubles as boost sensor, now i replaced both of these one at a time and both times things improved conciderably couple this to the replacement of the MAF sensor also.

I can honestly say this is the best the car has ever run. So while i was at it i got stuck in and replaced the accelerator pedal to finally get rid of that ETS light.

So to sum up just because u have eratic and spluttery running does not automaticly mean its your ETM on the way out there are other things to concider, also please remember i did not have ANY codes to go on just symptoms.

Simon