PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning microfibre cloths?

stu_850t5
Thursday 14th July 2011, 21:28
hi, whats the best way to clean microfibres? mine have got rather grubby over time.........

i was thinking maybe soak them in TFR?

what are you ideas?

cheers stu

merc85
Thursday 14th July 2011, 21:33
Get the Wife to wash them lol

stu_850t5
Thursday 14th July 2011, 21:37
She will !!! if i can tell her what to wash em in lol

*washing machine or sink!!! (DONT SAY IT GAV!!!!!!!!!!!!) lol

t4 chump
Thursday 14th July 2011, 21:45
Daz

AndysR
Thursday 14th July 2011, 21:54
Wash them in the washing machine on a lowish heat with a good washing agent, just make sure you use one without a softener and rinse it thoroughly to make sure no detergent remains for when you start using them on the car.

Plodmonkey
Thursday 14th July 2011, 22:05
Ya mother if u still live at home like me :)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 14th July 2011, 23:07
I just hand wash mine in the sink with some washing powder and let them dry on the radiator

volvokid
Thursday 14th July 2011, 23:24
Wash them in the washing machine on a lowish heat with a good washing agent, just make sure you use one without a softener and rinse it thoroughly to make sure no detergent remains for when you start using them on the car.

Exactly what I do..... mum does :)

Liddo
Friday 15th July 2011, 10:40
Soak mine in a bucket for a day or so, to get all the chemicals out, then stick them in the washer and hang out to dry naturally

;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 15th July 2011, 12:59
I have always used non bio washing powder & the washing machine. Chemical Guys also sell a washing solution should you wish. I have that too & one for revitalising machine polishing pads, which can get caked over time.

donny
Friday 15th July 2011, 13:02
i just put mine in washing machine then dryer never shrunk and ive done that for a while whith same ones.

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 15th July 2011, 13:13
Okay here's a tip get some TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) from eBay not expensive, and then stick the cloths in the washing machine with a cup Daz and 1 teaspoon of TSP. This stuff will help cleaning and helps remove grease from the wash. This stuff is really great for doing any washing with, we even put a spoonful in the dishwasher.

Ever wondered why washing powders don't work as well as they used to?

We have even noticed stains that will not shift with the Oxi cleaners go when we use TSP.
It's not a heavy duty degreaser but if you get the powder on your hands it's a good idea to wash it off.

You cloths will come out really clean :)

Flatout Phil
Friday 15th July 2011, 13:38
TBH they are so comparatively cheap that it is hardly worth bothering washing them... But yes, I just chuck them in the wash with everything else. And as I have said before, alloy parts clean up really well in the dishwasher...

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 15th July 2011, 16:59
TBH they are so comparatively cheap that it is hardly worth bothering washing them... But yes, I just chuck them in the wash with everything else. And as I have said before, alloy parts clean up really well in the dishwasher...

Try some TSP in your dishwasher and they will sparkle even more, I'm not joking our glassware and cutlery comes out shining. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500g-Trisodium-Phosphate-TSP-Lab-Paint-cleaner-/280484333191?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_S upplies_ET&hash=item414e2b4687

There you go a link to a seller at £1.99 a 500gm bag :)

Masterofmadness
Monday 18th July 2011, 15:57
If you know anyone who has a costco membership its worth asking them to pick some new cloths up for you, bought a huge bundle of them last year for less than £20, ive not even put a dent in the quantity yet!

volvokid
Monday 18th July 2011, 21:07
If you know anyone who has a costco membership its worth asking them to pick some new cloths up for you, bought a huge bundle of them last year for less than £20, ive not even put a dent in the quantity yet!

Heres some analness coming out, If you use them be careful not to rub the tag across your paint when buffing as it will mar your paint sounds silly but it does, under sunlight you will see it. when i was cleaning my mates ST he was using the cloths and i told him it would mark his paint he didn't believe me until i put the light on it and it showed up all the scratches.

I use them for the engine and interior.

I havnt cleaned my car in ages.... my brother inlaw needs to hurry up and plumb my out side tap in :)

AndysR
Monday 18th July 2011, 21:17
Heres some analness coming out, If you use them be careful not to rub the tag across your paint when buffing as it will mar your paint sounds silly but it does, under sunlight you will see it. when i was cleaning my mates ST he was using the cloths and i told him it would mark his paint he didn't believe me until i put the light on it and it showed up all the scratches.

I use them for the engine and interior.

I havnt cleaned my car in ages.... my brother inlaw needs to hurry up and plumb my out side tap in :)

For the ones I use on my paintwork I picked the stitching on mine so I could remove the whole tag, I don't use them on my interior because the microfibre cloths can drag the moisture out the leather... ;)

volvokid
Monday 18th July 2011, 21:20
For the ones I use on my paintwork I picked the stitching on mine so I could remove the whole tag, I don't use them on my interior because the microfibre cloths can drag the moisture out the leather... ;)

Oh now this is news to me what do you use on your leather then?

Off subject what polisher do you use my megs da has packed in for the 3rd time and polishbliss wont replace it!!! very unhappy customer considering how much money i have spent on them.

AndysR
Monday 18th July 2011, 21:38
Oh now this is news to me what do you use on your leather then?

Off subject what polisher do you use my megs da has packed in for the 3rd time and polishbliss wont replace it!!! very unhappy customer considering how much money i have spent on them.

Porter Cable polisher, from the states. That said I haven't machine polished mine for nearly 4 years now, I did it once when I bought it because it was in a right state. I hand wash it with 3 buckets and 2 wash mits and a hose. I polish, seal and wax it by hand when it needs it, can take me a couple of days. I don't like the idea of machine polishing as you can't get a proper feel with the polisher so I live with the inconvienence of polishing by hand.
Leather wise I buy disposable cloths from Halfords and use one per seat, 20 in a pack, with Croftgate leather oil, by far the best leather product i've used. The guy who told me about the microfibre effects on leather uses quite expensive unscented baby wipes on his interior, that's a little too far for me.

volvokid
Monday 18th July 2011, 21:45
Porter Cable polisher, from the states. That said I haven't machine polished mine for nearly 4 years now, I did it once when I bought it because it was in a right state. I hand wash it with 3 buckets and 2 wash mits and a hose. I polish, seal and wax it by hand when it needs it, can take me a couple of days. I don't like the idea of machine polishing as you can't get a proper feel with the polisher so I live with the inconvienence of polishing by hand.
Leather wise I buy disposable cloths from Halfords and use one per seat, 20 in a pack, with Croftgate leather oil, by far the best leather product i've used. The guy who told me about the microfibre effects on leather uses quite expensive unscented baby wipes on his interior, that's a little too far for me.

I was looking into that polisher. It was just so i could give the V40 a quick going over. gone are my days of doing other peoples cars, its to much hassle.
Thats weird cuz the swissvax kit gives you a micro fiber cloth. I use the disposable wipes for my sofa in the house. I'm guessing you never condition your leather then? I've read thats not needed but i still do it from time to time.

AndysR
Monday 18th July 2011, 21:56
I was looking into that polisher. It was just so i could give the V40 a quick going over. gone are my days of doing other peoples cars, its to much hassle.
Thats weird cuz the swissvax kit gives you a micro fiber cloth. I use the disposable wipes for my sofa in the house. I'm guessing you never condition your leather then? I've read thats not needed but i still do it from time to time.

Depends what you mean when you say condition, the Croftgate is a leather oil restorer. I've tried Autoglym and Glyptone's leather treatments and tbh wasn't impressed and I hated the smell of the Glyptone, the interior in my car has always had quite a prominent leather smell anyway so I wasn't after a leather smell restorer...lol
I use Croftgate once a year on the leather and that's it, it's enough to keep the leather supple and because it's a natual oil sourced from leather it doesn't upset any of the dyes used on the leather by Volvo's supplier when the car was new.

volvokid
Monday 18th July 2011, 22:00
were do u get croftgate from andy?

AndysR
Monday 18th July 2011, 22:03
http://www.croftgate.co.uk/cgi-bin/store/CROstore.cgi?user_action=link&link=mainpage

;)