PDA

View Full Version : Top engine mount polybush fitment...the air turned blue!

Tosh
Thursday 4th August 2005, 23:42
just finished fitting the mentioned mod, what a horrible yet fulfilling task that was!
In all it took about an hour to do. First I cut out the original (broken) rubber mount, took 15 mins, then set about fitting the poly kit. I hate to say it went downhill from this point and there were more than a few choice words! In the end it was fitted. I personally found the best way was to fit one half of the bush, then insert the metal tube piece fully through the just fitted bush. This allowed the second half of the bush to be easily located onto the tube piece and pushed into the mount, took a fair bit of force plus you have to hold the other half so it doesn't pop out again!
Took the car for a quick drive and did notice a difference, or was that just my satisfaction at a job well done?

p fandango
Friday 5th August 2005, 02:10
certainly a tight fit aren't they lol, mine took about the same. Can't say i recall noticing a difference but just knowing i won't have to touch it again keeps me happy :)

Straker
Friday 5th August 2005, 07:51
I am feeling your pain guys

I had 20 minutes of swearing before giving up. I then put the bush in a low oven for another 20 minutes and used a lot! of WD40 and it then went in fairly easily.

Good cheap mod, slightly more shut off shake on key off but like you say ill never have to do it again :)

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 02:05
i need to do this job - is a polybush one more difficult to do than a OEM one? what are the advantages?
cheers guys

Straker
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 08:08
i need to do this job - is a polybush one more difficult to do than a OEM one? what are the advantages?
cheers guys

Main advantage is that it never wears out so is fit and forget, other advantages: it's purple and in theroy because its stiffer the engine doesn't roll as much in the mounts. If the engine doesn't roll then more of the energy is going into turning the wheels and the throttle response is slightly quicker.

Downside you will get more vibration through the coloum but not much. Shut off shake is also increased but the solution to that is don't hold the wheel when you trun off the engine.

Hope this helps.

swordy21
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 09:34
I would imagine the poly bush ones are slightly easier than OEM ones to fit as they come in 2 halves. I fitted an oem one on mine the other week and it needed a load of sanding, 1/2 a ton of moly grease, some drilled metal bars set across the bush housing to act as a puller, and a 2lb lump hammer. Took about 3 hours and huge amounts of bad language........Not one of those "I can't get it off so give up jobs".......

So what's next? Ah Ha - CV joints...........!

GuyD5
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 23:37
I fitted an oem one on mine the other week and it needed a load of sanding, 1/2 a ton of moly grease, some drilled metal bars set across the bush housing to act as a puller, and a 2lb lump hammer. Took about 3 hours and huge amounts of bad language........Not one of those "I can't get it off so give up jobs".......

Now I KNOW why I paid VT to change mine ... LOL :)