PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs...what is best?

Tosh
Thursday 4th August 2005, 23:26
okay, I'm looking for all you crazy volvo owners who have lowered their brick to share their experiences!
What springs have you fitted, what was the drop and how have you found them in terms of performance, and to a lesser extent comfort. Your knowledge and opinions will be gratefully received.

d14vd_h
Thursday 4th August 2005, 23:37
yeah id like some feedback/advice on this one too.
been offered a set of 30mm lowering spring for my 900 estate,
how does this work with the existing shocks? do they need replaced and what if i have self levelling shocks at the back?
how do i check?

M44K TS
Friday 5th August 2005, 18:17
I'm sure that the self leveling shocks will be fine when lowered. As for the shocks in general, it's only 30mm, it shouldn't have too much of affect on the life of them, it's only when you go stupid and do 60mm +

Vikingxl
Friday 5th August 2005, 18:22
Ive got thr R springs from wobblys 850r on my v70 and the self levellers are fine looks much better dropped as well.

Redbrick
Friday 5th August 2005, 18:25
'Signatures are for gays'

Damn right they are, now where's my leather cap and chaps got to?

Rooster
Friday 5th August 2005, 19:04
I would say you carn't go far wrong with eibach springs, had them on old s40 and it dropped it just nice and couldn't believe differance in handling, it was so much better.

d14vd_h
Friday 5th August 2005, 20:39
is 30mm a worthwhile drop for looks?

M44K TS
Friday 5th August 2005, 21:49
'Signatures are for gays'

Damn right they are, now where's my leather cap and chaps got to?

okkkkaaayyy!

:troutslap

p fandango
Friday 5th August 2005, 22:00
is 30mm a worthwhile drop for looks?
i've only got the 15mm factory lowering springs & a few people have said they notice she's lower than most (i admit tho i didn't know she was lowered till i got original spec from the main stealer)

think the lowest kit i've found only goes 40mm (except coil-overs of course)

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th August 2005, 00:53
Eibach lowering springs - about 35mm - awesome, especially with monroe shocks.

the_boy
Saturday 6th August 2005, 11:19
How much did that set you back Dave for the C70?

If mine is the GT version would I need to change the springs and the shocks?
Car has done 92,000 miles...

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th August 2005, 23:01
I know that the suspension upgrade has been slashed in price - best if you ring Hamish & Co @ VT and ask. Prices change all the time. I do know however that VT is the only place you can get the dynamic shocks

I was up at Bruntingthorpe today - on the track and even the instructor (I had some lessons) said they were pretty damn good.

I worked them very hard indeed!! Like they were supposed to - the hard you try the harder they get.

92K is a fair few miles for any shock, so I would say change 'em. I dont think you'll regret it.
You may consider just changing the fronts - as this will be cheaper and also considering where the engine is and the FWD - they always get the hardest beating over time.
It also is important to bear in mind how long you intend to keep the current car.

the_boy
Sunday 7th August 2005, 00:57
Well since I can seem to sell the thing and the dealer I spoke to offered me 4 grand in part exchange for it, I'm probably going to keep it for some time and use the GF's car during the week to get to work and back.

The suspension is one upgrade on my list.
RICA and a brake upgrade is another...

Might just upgrade the front shockers as you say though :dunce:
Question is do I need to change the springs if I've got the GT pack with lowered suspension already?

vt5
Sunday 7th August 2005, 07:37
If you are already lowered then no, unless you want to lower it further.

Adjustable struts are a good way to do this but they are very dear IMHO unless you need them as you plan to do track stuff in which case they are a bargain compared to car surgery after hitting a wall as you leave the track !

As far as springs / dampers go, when you buy springs, the manufacturer usually informs you if you need shorter shocks to go with them. Ive never needed to though and ive had a few sets over the years.

Most lowering springs are not actually shorter in height, so dont need different shocks, they are manufactured so that the middle portion of the spring has a lesser sprung resistance (talking fractions less here, not marshmallows) so it allows the spring to sag more if you wish and therefore allowing the car to sit lower. Better handling comes partly from a lower centre of gravity and therefore less lean in corners etc.

Springs are pretty much just bread and butter though hence why they are seldom expensive, dampers control spring oscillation and sudden impacts...the boingy boingy stuff and therefore are more complex and more expensive.

You need to weight it up though, look at driving style, environment, speed etc. Often a simple set of springs does just fine.....not even super dear ones either. :)

Tosh
Sunday 7th August 2005, 10:28
Excellent input, this is what makes volvot5.co.uk such a good forum, lots of like minded enthusiasts keen to share their experience and opinions, brilliant stuff!

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 7th August 2005, 17:39
I agree with Vince - it is not necessary to change the springs - they do loosen up over time but spring steel is spring steel and budget considerations do count. Most will do the springs at the same time simply because you have to compress and remove them to change the shock. Put Monroes on - it will make a huge difference.

k690bpp
Sunday 7th August 2005, 19:10
I do know however that VT is the only place you can get the dynamic shocks.

thats not exactly true you can get the shocks from other sources, check this thread on the subject of finding them at the cheapest price:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2565&page=1&highlight=cheapest

Wobbly Dave
Monday 8th August 2005, 01:27
Yeah but are you sure that the ones you sourced, are the dynamics?? - i.e. the same Monroe Reflex shocks that are available at VT?

k690bpp
Monday 8th August 2005, 16:54
100% the same, same exact monroe part numbers for the front and rear shocks as vt would of used on my car if they had done the job. :B_rotfl:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 00:42
And VT were perfectly happy to tell you the part nos?

Green T5R
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 00:50
Well I just thought I'd offer the buget option...I got new shocks and sports/lowering springs for my T5R from Euro Car Parts.....Shocks are same as standard fit and half the price of Volvo stuff....... Springs are supposed to lower a standard 850 by 40mm but only lowered mine by about 5mm...

see link below for pics

p fandango
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 14:59
Springs are supposed to lower a standard 850 by 40mm but only lowered mine by about 5mm...
i thought T-5R's were lower than standard 850's but didn't think it was by 35mm

k690bpp
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 18:07
And VT were perfectly happy to tell you the part nos?

not really - but i was originally going to get them to do the whole job and i had to compare the part numbers of the shocks i had to theres and they matched 100%, according to natalie anyway. lucky me. :B_steerin

btw i've got some s70r lowering springs if anyones interested, they should fit 850's, s70's and maybe v70's and c70's but please check first. they came off my '98 s70r with 68k miles.