PDA

View Full Version : Nipples

Dave86
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 21:26
Don't get too excited lol. Right im looking for some vacuum hose nipples to mount on an alloy pipe. Im intending to replace the pipe going from the air filter to the turbo but obviously need to be able to attach vacuum hoses to it. So does anyone know where to get them from. I know they exist as I've seen them on the snaab intake pipe.
Any help greatly appreciated.

siamblue
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 22:09
Search on ebay, or buy a double ended one and cut it in half and braise it on..

Gary

Dave86
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 22:35
This may sound stupid but i don't know what braising is lol

AndysR
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 22:40
This may sound stupid but i don't know what braising is lol

The term used to describe the joining of metal

If you look at gas and water pipes in the house you will see examples of where this method is used

...and this is what it looks like as it is being carried out.

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/press/press-g/brazing-the-joining-metal-process-P334611.jpg

Dave86
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 22:53
Well i learnt something today :)
i just bought some bolt through nipples on ebay. Next question would be how do i mount the pcv thing in my new pipe as it has a sort of D shaped rubber gromit round it, should i just take the dremmel to the pipe?

AndysR
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 22:56
I wouldn't be happy about cutting the standard parts without trying to make something up on the part your replacing. That said I can't really picture the part your talking about so it's difficult to say which way is the best way to approach fitting it.

Dave86
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 23:10
Well the plan is to replace the hard plastic corrugated pipe the runs from the maf to the turbo will alloy pipe & silicon hose. On the original pipe there's an elbow near the turbo end with 2 vacuum nipples and some sort of heater or valve from the pcv system on it. The thing from the pcv system can be pulled out of the pipe and the rubber seal round it is D shaped as is the hole it comes from, so should i just cut a hole to match (roughly) and stick it back it or will i need some new sort of connector. The 2 vacuum ones are sorted now.

AndysR
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 00:03
Well the plan is to replace the hard plastic corrugated pipe the runs from the maf to the turbo will alloy pipe & silicon hose. On the original pipe there's an elbow near the turbo end with 2 vacuum nipples and some sort of heater or valve from the pcv system on it. The thing from the pcv system can be pulled out of the pipe and the rubber seal round it is D shaped as is the hole it comes from, so should i just cut a hole to match (roughly) and stick it back it or will i need some new sort of connector. The 2 vacuum ones are sorted now.

I'd see about replicating the cut out from the corrugated pipe in the new pipe your fitting. Then it will just be a case of fitting the heater valve into the new pipe although you may need to devise a way of securing it to prevent it from coming adrift during use.

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 00:13
You could fabricate your own solution using silicone joints, alloy t-pieces and joiners etc?

Dave86
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 05:49
Righto ill sort something out cheers:)

Niles
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 11:08
that heater element is NOT required in our country. Its there to heat very cold air in very cold countries. You can easily get away with NOT installing it in the pipe. BUT....you will need to leave it plugged in to the loom as the ecu will sulk & throw a code.

Dave86
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 13:50
that heater element is NOT required in our country. Its there to heat very cold air in very cold countries. You can easily get away with NOT installing it in the pipe. BUT....you will need to leave it plugged in to the loom as the ecu will sulk & throw a code.

I had read that before somewhere that it wasn't needed but didn't want oil and cr@p dripping from the pcv pipe also didn't know wheather the pcv system needed the vacuum from the intake to draw the gases out of the crankcase. If if doesn't then i won't refit it and ill extend the pcv pipe upwards and stick a breather filter on it or something. If that would work?

siamblue
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 14:15
I had read that before somewhere that it wasn't needed but didn't want oil and cr@p dripping from the pcv pipe also didn't know wheather the pcv system needed the vacuum from the intake to draw the gases out of the crankcase. If if doesn't then i won't refit it and ill extend the pcv pipe upwards and stick a breather filter on it or something. If that would work?

I haven't got access to my car at the moment for pics, but i have mine disconnected but my PCV system is run through a catch can on the bulk head, my intake system is bone dry and clean.

Gary