PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!

watteee
Thursday 4th August 2005, 22:24
my car died on me today,whilst in work it was quiet so i got the drill out and drilled about 20 10mm holes on the bottom of air box,once i did this i drove it home to put the drill back in the house,everything was ok,approx 2 hours later i get to drive home,it starts and drives off ok,i floored it in 2nd and it just cut out,engine management light comes on,starts again and immediately dies again,i called the AA and the chap comes out and tells me the fault code is my MAF,by this time the car has started again but the idle is a bit erratic,chap fromAA resets my fault light and it goes out but comes back on a short time later,the car seems to be ok apart from the idle being a bit dodgy,so i patch up all the holes i drilled with duck tape but still no better,just about gets the car home and it cuts out so ive nursed it into the side of the road and left it.i got a recent ecu remap(3 days ago) but the car was driving excellant since untill today,could it just be a coincedence my MAF has gone a short time after remap and straight after i drilled the airbox,and how much is a new MAF and can i change it at roadside and should i get my car back to the remap place first and get it back to standard before changing MAF,also when i stop my engine my radiator fan comes on every time since this problem started and stays on for about 3-4 minutes,is this something to do with limp home mode,im struggling to decide what to do as my knowledge is limited,HELP!!!!!!

dave
Thursday 4th August 2005, 23:57
my car died on me today,whilst in work it was quiet so i got the drill out and drilled about 20 10mm holes on the bottom of air box,once i did this i drove it home to put the drill back in the house,everything was ok,approx 2 hours later i get to drive home,it starts and drives off ok,i floored it in 2nd and it just cut out,engine management light comes on,starts again and immediately dies again,i called the AA and the chap comes out and tells me the fault code is my MAF,by this time the car has started again but the idle is a bit erratic,chap fromAA resets my fault light and it goes out but comes back on a short time later,the car seems to be ok apart from the idle being a bit dodgy,so i patch up all the holes i drilled with duck tape but still no better,just about gets the car home and it cuts out so ive nursed it into the side of the road and left it.i got a recent ecu remap(3 days ago) but the car was driving excellant since untill today,could it just be a coincedence my MAF has gone a short time after remap and straight after i drilled the airbox,and how much is a new MAF and can i change it at roadside and should i get my car back to the remap place first and get it back to standard before changing MAF,also when i stop my engine my radiator fan comes on every time since this problem started and stays on for about 3-4 minutes,is this something to do with limp home mode,im struggling to decide what to do as my knowledge is limited,HELP!!!!!!

not good, maybe the extra air from drill holes and new ecu remap arent happy together

i would take it back to the place that did the remap, and get there thoughts on the matter

or the maf has gone, need new one, or maybe there's a lose pipe hose, intercooler, turbo etc.

dave

dave
Friday 5th August 2005, 00:01
fraz has got the same problem, see thread in " General Technical Help / Problems" part of forum

dave

p fandango
Friday 5th August 2005, 02:07
i forgot to plug my MAF back in once, she wasn't happy without it :pants:

watteee
Friday 5th August 2005, 19:41
today i "nursed" my car 30mph by the way to the garage as it started this morning surprisingly enough though it was a bit rough,after a day in the garage they are not sure what is wrong but the are pretty sure its the MAF sensor,when the MAF plug is disconnected the idling is greatly improved but the second the plug is reconnected its rough again,when the laptop the garage was using was plugged in the diag plug the MAF sensor was not registering a reading,but two other faults came up,throttle response(internal) and i cant remember the other one,dont know if the MAF is causing these two faults too.anyway meeting up with fraz tomo to try his MAF on my car so we will see what that brings.